AOS issue with k4 ftj

i am trying to help my wife's friend with aos paperwork. she entered the usa last year with a k3 visa and received her 2 year green card 3 months ago. her son came to the usa 2 months ago with the k4 visa. i seem to remember reading somewhere that the k4 cant adjust status because the mother has a green card and is no longer in k3 status. can someone please elaborate on this? what are their options?

If he is under 18, they should file for AOS now. If they didn't file an I-130 with his mother's, they need to file one now, along with the I-485. He will adjust status based on the pending I-130.

If he was over 18 at the time you married, his mother must file the I-130, There is currently about an 8 year wait for an over 18 child of an LPR.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If he is under 18, they should file for AOS now. If they didn't file an I-130 with his mother's, they need to file one now, along with the I-485. He will adjust status based on the pending I-130.

If he was over 18 at the time you married, his mother must file the I-130, There is currently about an 8 year wait for an over 18 child of an LPR.

thanks randy. her son is only 16 so age out is not an issue. i just thought i read somewhere that he couldn't adjust status since his mother has already received her green card.

thanks randy. her son is only 16 so age out is not an issue. i just thought i read somewhere that he couldn't adjust status since his mother has already received her green card.

He goes out of status, but that's not a problem because he CAN adjust status.

The derivative status was used for the visa. He is now applying for AOS dependent on the approval of the I-130.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)