More money for US government

Uncle Sam wants 675 more dollars times 3(wife, daughter, son).

What happens if and when 10 year Green Card expires?

Ken

When the 10 year expires, you need to renew it. Failure to do so would hamper travel and re-entry. I believe the current cost is $370 for renewal. Who knows what it will be in 10 years?

The term "permanent legal resident" is a correct term. Their status does not change when the GC expires. But, by law, they are required to have status documents with them for ID purposes as well as for re-entry to the U.S. The GC was given an expiration date back in 1989 to prevent fraud (yea..right!)

How old are son and daughter?

If they are young (18 or younger) you can legally adopt them and get them citizenship through the adoption. $460 or $420 for N-600

OR they automatically get citizenship through their parent becoming a citizen, again child needs to be 18 or younger when their parent becomes a citizen.

Frequently Asked Questions about the CCA

1) Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

• At least one adoptive parent is a U.S. citizen,

• The child is under 18 years of age,

• If the child is adopted, a full and final adoption of the child, and

• The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant

2) Do I have to apply to USCIS for my child's citizenship?

No. If your child satisfies the requirements listed above, he or she automatically acquires U.S. citizenship by operation of law on the day he or she is admitted to the United States as an immigrant. Your child’s citizenship status is no longer dependent on USCIS approving a naturalization application. MORE...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Note according two #2 the N-600 is optional, but is useful to prove citizenship.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

How old are son and daughter?

If they are young (18 or younger) you can legally adopt them and get them citizenship through the adoption. $460 or $420 for N-600

OR they automatically get citizenship through their parent becoming a citizen, again child needs to be 18 or younger when their parent becomes a citizen.

Frequently Asked Questions about the CCA

1) Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

• At least one adoptive parent is a U.S. citizen,

• The child is under 18 years of age,

• If the child is adopted, a full and final adoption of the child, and

• The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant

2) Do I have to apply to USCIS for my child's citizenship?

No. If your child satisfies the requirements listed above, he or she automatically acquires U.S. citizenship by operation of law on the day he or she is admitted to the United States as an immigrant. Your child¡¯s citizenship status is no longer dependent on USCIS approving a naturalization application. MORE...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Note according two #2 the N-600 is optional, but is useful to prove citizenship.

with a caveat:

All adoptions for any other type of immigration benefit, including naturalization, must be completed by the child's 16th birthday, with one exception: A child adopted while under the age of 18 years by the same parents who adopted a natural sibling who met the usual requirements.

In other words, the younger child must be under 16 and the older under 18, if attaining citizenship by adoption