Seeking a guiding light...

Let me start by introducing myself and my situation. Best to start from the beginning, right? I'm Rob, and my Chinese fianc¨¦e is ξÁæ (Wei Ling). I was introduced to WeiLing by her younger sister (ÈØ·¼; Rong Fang) whom I met on Livemocha. It was an introduction of utility: I was looking to learn some more Mandarin before I departed on a 3-week trip to Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, and Hangzhou in January of this year. RongFang was busy with the final weeks of her fall semester, and felt that WeiLing would have more time to chat with me. To this day, I'm still working to learn more. I feel as though I'm beginning to become conversational, but sometimes reference a dictionary for specific words. A lot can be said for language learning by chatting (with moderate to heavy dictionary use).

In any case, it soon became clear that WeiLing and I had a mutual enjoyment of our chats together. We exchanged some pictures, and on a rare occasion we were able to engage in webcam/voice chat. The ability to see almost-instantaneous feedback really eases the difficulty of long distance friendship/relationships; a smirk, giggle, or twitch of an eyebrow... truly amazing things. Because I had a few days of free time in Hangzhou, we planned to meet there. She flew in from Wuhan, and I met her at the airport. If I had to choose a single best time of my life, I would likely point to those few days. And trust me, that made it all the more difficult to say goodbye.

Since that time, my Mandarin has improved. Again, it's not great but it is still vastly superior to my ability 5 months ago. Our relationship has also developed. I call her on a daily basis, and we typically chat for an hour or two; we can easily talk for longer, but timezones and responsibilities usually prevent this. (Skype is wonderful in facilitating a low-cost means of phone contact.) As one can probably assume, I've fallen deeply in love with her, and her with me. I've loved before, but this is a feeling beyond any I've known. I am confident that she is the one I want to marry.

We've discussed many of the major issues (number of children we would like to have, where we would like to live, whether we will both work and hire a nanny or not, religion, etc), and have a strong mutual understanding/agreement. We've both told our parents and families about the other, and have their support.

I will be returning to China in August of this year. I fly out in the morning of the 21st, and arrive at my final destination late evening of the 22nd. I'll be staying for a year.

Now herein lies the problem: I'll be studying there. I am still a student. After two semesters of intensive Mandarin study, I will need to return and complete at least one more semester in the US before I finish my bachelor degree. Depending on some bureaucracy, I may need to complete two. After graduation, I intend to teach English in China for a few years before pursuing a more permanent career in the States. It's something I've wanted to do even before I met WeiLing.

I'm 23 and my birthday is in January. She's 24 and her birthday is in March. She has expressed that she would like to marry this year or next, and that she will not stand to be an unmarried 26-year-old woman. I can understand that, and agree with the feeling that if the intention is genuine, a couple will be able to manage any hardships resulting from an undelayed marriage; waiting for the "perfect" time will result in an endless wait. I also understand that in some Asian cultures, women are expected to marry before this age. In Japan, for example, unmarried 26+ women are referred to as "kurisumasu kaaki" (because nobody wants a Christmas Cake after the 25th).

I've tried to do my homework and read about our (WeiLing and my) options for her US visa. I will admit that I am still a bit lost when it comes to the process, and it has taken me a few times through the various posts/FAQs to garner what little understanding I now have. (Not a direct criticism of Candle for Love, but it is very difficult to know where really to begin reading here.) Taking everything into consideration, here are my evaluations of the options:

• K-1 visa (fianc¨¦ / fianc¨¦e) - Since we have not yet married, this is still an option. The marriage must take place in the US within 90-days of the visa issuance. For the timing to be right, the visa would have to be issued at the beginning of Summer 2010. My concerns are that I do not know how long the processing will take (or if it is too late to start), and that I do not have sufficient income to sponsor such a visa because I am a student. I haven't read of a financial requirement, but instead read that a majority of the denials stem from insufficient finances/income of the US citizen. Because of these concerns, I believe this to not be one of my better options.
  • K-3 visa (spouse) - Right now, we are not eligible for this visa; we haven't yet married; though that is relatively easy to remedy. I don't know if this visa has a similar income requirement (official or otherwise). I know that this visa takes between 18 and 24 months, and can delay even further appeals are needed. I'm looking at this visa as our long-term answer. Can WeiLing and I begin the application process before we are married--with the condition that we will be married before approval?
  • CR1 visa (spouse) - I really do not know the difference between this and the K-3 visa.
  • Tourist visa - Because I only intend to return to America for the duration of one to two semesters, I feel as though this is the best short-term option for WeiLing to accompany me. My concerns are with the requirement to prove that she will not illegally immigrate. I feel as though having a US Citizen husband will be strong grounds for the feeling that she will illegally immigrate. Will an active K-3 visa application work to negate that belief? That is, will the K-3 visa show that although illegal immigration is a possibility, the couple (WeiLing and I) intend to lawfully abide by the tourist visa's duration of stay? If I purchase a "house" in China, with the intent of living there with her while I teach, will that help to prove that she will not illegally immigrate? If parents/family/employment/banking all do not prove that a person will not immigrate, what kind of thing will? Or is it simply a clause to allow the visa officer to deny for any reason? Do others in the community have experience with tourist visa

Beyond my concerns listed above, I am also curious to learn about my options for a long-term visa in China. If a US visa will not be immediately (as in, within about 4-5 years) available for WeiLing, I'd like to investigate the option of a long-term Chinese visa for myself. I don't suppose this is the right forum for that, but perhaps someone can also lead me to a similar forum?

And that's the main bulk of my thoughts for now. I would like to say that I really, genuinely appreciate any clarification, response, assistance, or guidance. I understand that everyone is busy with their own schedules, their own loved ones, and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to put together this community and encouraging/informing each other. I know that I can be overly verbose sometimes, so I really do appreciate the time and understanding from others in reading this post.

On behalf of myself and WeiLing, Thank you.

-Rob

P.S. Sorry for the cheesy pun in topic title/topic description. I just had to do it. :P

Edited by Rob and WeiLing (see edit history)

You mentioned moving to China to teach for a few years. I would wait until about a year before you plan to come back to the US then file for a visa. If you are living there you could probably file DCF which is the fastest of all visas. In the mean time you can get married and start your lives together..

You mentioned moving to China to teach for a few years. I would wait until about a year before you plan to come back to the US then file for a visa. If you are living there you could probably file DCF which is the fastest of all visas. In the mean time you can get married and start your lives together..

WeiLing and I are tenatively planning to wed in February next year. What would you recommend for the 5-10 months that I'll have to be in the States? If at all possible, I'd like to have her with me.

(And wow! I'm very impressed with such a quick response! Thanks!)

A tourist visa will be pretty much impossible. There are a lot of problems with trying to maintain her status as a legal permanent resident while living in China. A green card is for residence in the US not China. She would need to return to the US for a significant period of time at least once a year and even then a nasty immigration officer could decide she has abandoned her status.

WeiLing and I are tenatively planning to wed in February next year. What would you recommend for the 5-10 months that I'll have to be in the States? If at all possible, I'd like to have her with me.

(And wow! I'm very impressed with such a quick response! Thanks!)

As "Warpedboard" says - getting a tourist Visa in my opinion is "impossible" for almost All situations. I tried it when I was a student and living in China attending Xiamen University. I'm not a young guy, have lot's of "means", as well as my lady at the time (now my wife) had significant resources - and it was a non-starter with the Consulate. That tourist-visa process - caused me to actually come to terms with a "marriage proposal", which happened about 2 months after the toursit visa "fiasco" (GUZ is rude, etc etc) which caused me much embarrassment about the US and due process. In short, I wasn't sure she would accept the proposal with the understanding that she would have to move to the US. Most would suggest to forget the tourist visa - you will waste time and money - and only be upset.

You need to really look at domicile, and income requirements, as it sounds like you are a "real student" (unlike me who is very old and just went to China to learn Mandarin) and may have difficulty with these two aspects. There are a lot of really smart folks on this website that have dealt with these issues and they are very willing to share.

Best of luck and "gong xi gong xi"

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

"Beyond my concerns listed above, I am also curious to learn about my options for a long-term visa in China. If a US visa will not be immediately (as in, within about 4-5 years) available for WeiLing, I'd like to investigate the option of a long-term Chinese visa for myself. I don't suppose this is the right forum for that, but perhaps someone can also lead me to a similar forum?"

I'm going to let you know what I have learned. I am moving to China next month.

There are a few ways to get a visa to stay in China.

First....marry a Chinese citizen. That will allow you to have a "visitor" stamp in your passport that will allow you to stay in China for one year on an L (tourist) visa. Each year you must go have that renewed. It is not legal to work on an L visa even with a "visitor" addendum.

Second...Get a job and have your employer sponsor a Z visa. The sponsoring employer will then get you a resident permit good for either the length of your contract or one year, I can't remember which. Z visa is issued from your home country Chinese consulate. Requires BA degree, invitation letter form employer.

Third...Student visa..you already know about this one.

Fourth....D visa...invest about a billion dollars and put about 100,000 Chinese citizens to work and they will think about issuing this visa..don't hold your breath

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

First of all, thanks for the responses. I'm sorry to hear about the stress that the tourist visa fiasco put on your relationship, 2mike&jin, but appreciate your willingness to share that story. Based on responses here, I've focused my research and discussions with WeiLing. We've decided that it's best for me to abandon plans to teach abroad (suanle), and directly file a CR-1 before heading to the U.S.

I know that I'm asking a lot, but in finding the answers to other questions, I have a few new ones:

If the DCF drags on, how easy is it to get that "visitor" stamp? Do I just wave the marriage certificate at a Chinese entrance officer? Or is it something more complicated?

And, while living together in the States, will a yearly trip back to China for spring festival cause trouble with her permanent residency? I tend to think that a short trip (2 weeks or so) wouldn't, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

You can't file DCF unless you are living in China and are married. DCF eligibility is a little murky but in general they want you to have lived in China for six months. Visiting China once a year is no problem. Stays of up to six months are not uncommon. It's when a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) is going to the US for short stays and spending most of their time in China that it poses a potential problem.

For your "visitor" permit/stamp...this is what I know of it....you will go to your neighborhood police station (PSB) and get a document of some kind. I think this is a verification of your address and identity. Basically, you are registering with the PSB that you are staying at a private residence. Then, you take this document to the main PSB in your city and get the official stamp/permit in your passport. This stamp overrides the limitation of the visa.

Once you have this stamp, then you can come and go as you please as far as travel back and forth.

This is what I have been told by quite a few people. I haven't actually done it yet. I will be doing this in about a month, so if you're not in a hurry, I post what happens...

As far as a tourist visa for your wife/gf to the states, just get that out of your head. When you see the real Superman, win the lottery, get struck by lightning, and survive a shark attack all in the same day...yea..that would be the day that she could get a tourist visa!

Let me start by introducing myself and my situation. Best to start from the beginning, right? I'm Rob, and my Chinese fianc¨¦e is ξÁæ (Wei Ling). I was introduced to WeiLing by her younger sister (ÈØ·¼; Rong Fang) whom I met on Livemocha. It was an introduction of utility: I was looking to learn some more Mandarin before I departed on a 3-week trip to Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, and Hangzhou in January of this year. RongFang was busy with the final weeks of her fall semester, and felt that WeiLing would have more time to chat with me. To this day, I'm still working to learn more. I feel as though I'm beginning to become conversational, but sometimes reference a dictionary for specific words. A lot can be said for language learning by chatting (with moderate to heavy dictionary use).

In any case, it soon became clear that WeiLing and I had a mutual enjoyment of our chats together. We exchanged some pictures, and on a rare occasion we were able to engage in webcam/voice chat. The ability to see almost-instantaneous feedback really eases the difficulty of long distance friendship/relationships; a smirk, giggle, or twitch of an eyebrow... truly amazing things. Because I had a few days of free time in Hangzhou, we planned to meet there. She flew in from Wuhan, and I met her at the airport. If I had to choose a single best time of my life, I would likely point to those few days. And trust me, that made it all the more difficult to say goodbye.

Since that time, my Mandarin has improved. Again, it's not great but it is still vastly superior to my ability 5 months ago. Our relationship has also developed. I call her on a daily basis, and we typically chat for an hour or two; we can easily talk for longer, but timezones and responsibilities usually prevent this. (Skype is wonderful in facilitating a low-cost means of phone contact.) As one can probably assume, I've fallen deeply in love with her, and her with me. I've loved before, but this is a feeling beyond any I've known. I am confident that she is the one I want to marry.

We've discussed many of the major issues (number of children we would like to have, where we would like to live, whether we will both work and hire a nanny or not, religion, etc), and have a strong mutual understanding/agreement. We've both told our parents and families about the other, and have their support.

I will be returning to China in August of this year. I fly out in the morning of the 21st, and arrive at my final destination late evening of the 22nd. I'll be staying for a year.

Now herein lies the problem: I'll be studying there. I am still a student. After two semesters of intensive Mandarin study, I will need to return and complete at least one more semester in the US before I finish my bachelor degree. Depending on some bureaucracy, I may need to complete two. After graduation, I intend to teach English in China for a few years before pursuing a more permanent career in the States. It's something I've wanted to do even before I met WeiLing.

I'm 23 and my birthday is in January. She's 24 and her birthday is in March. She has expressed that she would like to marry this year or next, and that she will not stand to be an unmarried 26-year-old woman. I can understand that, and agree with the feeling that if the intention is genuine, a couple will be able to manage any hardships resulting from an undelayed marriage; waiting for the "perfect" time will result in an endless wait. I also understand that in some Asian cultures, women are expected to marry before this age. In Japan, for example, unmarried 26+ women are referred to as "kurisumasu kaaki" (because nobody wants a Christmas Cake after the 25th).

I've tried to do my homework and read about our (WeiLing and my) options for her US visa. I will admit that I am still a bit lost when it comes to the process, and it has taken me a few times through the various posts/FAQs to garner what little understanding I now have. (Not a direct criticism of Candle for Love, but it is very difficult to know where really to begin reading here.) Taking everything into consideration, here are my evaluations of the options:

• K-1 visa (fianc¨¦ / fianc¨¦e) - Since we have not yet married, this is still an option. The marriage must take place in the US within 90-days of the visa issuance. For the timing to be right, the visa would have to be issued at the beginning of Summer 2010. My concerns are that I do not know how long the processing will take (or if it is too late to start), and that I do not have sufficient income to sponsor such a visa because I am a student. I haven't read of a financial requirement, but instead read that a majority of the denials stem from insufficient finances/income of the US citizen. Because of these concerns, I believe this to not be one of my better options.

• K-3 visa (spouse) - Right now, we are not eligible for this visa; we haven't yet married; though that is relatively easy to remedy. I don't know if this visa has a similar income requirement (official or otherwise). I know that this visa takes between 18 and 24 months, and can delay even further appeals are needed. I'm looking at this visa as our long-term answer. Can WeiLing and I begin the application process before we are married--with the condition that we will be married before approval?
  • CR1 visa (spouse) - I really do not know the difference between this and the K-3 visa.
  • Tourist visa - Because I only intend to return to America for the duration of one to two semesters, I feel as though this is the best short-term option for WeiLing to accompany me. My concerns are with the requirement to prove that she will not illegally immigrate. I feel as though having a US Citizen husband will be strong grounds for the feeling that she will illegally immigrate. Will an active K-3 visa application work to negate that belief? That is, will the K-3 visa show that although illegal immigration is a possibility, the couple (WeiLing and I) intend to lawfully abide by the tourist visa's duration of stay? If I purchase a "house" in China, with the intent of living there with her while I teach, will that help to prove that she will not illegally immigrate? If parents/family/employment/banking all do not prove that a person will not immigrate, what kind of thing will? Or is it simply a clause to allow the visa officer to deny for any reason? Do others in the community have experience with tourist visa

Beyond my concerns listed above, I am also curious to learn about my options for a long-term visa in China. If a US visa will not be immediately (as in, within about 4-5 years) available for WeiLing, I'd like to investigate the option of a long-term Chinese visa for myself. I don't suppose this is the right forum for that, but perhaps someone can also lead me to a similar forum?

And that's the main bulk of my thoughts for now. I would like to say that I really, genuinely appreciate any clarification, response, assistance, or guidance. I understand that everyone is busy with their own schedules, their own loved ones, and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to put together this community and encouraging/informing each other. I know that I can be overly verbose sometimes, so I really do appreciate the time and understanding from others in reading this post.

On behalf of myself and WeiLing, Thank you.

-Rob

P.S. Sorry for the cheesy pun in topic title/topic description. I just had to do it. :P

I will explain the difference between the above highlighted.

CR-1 is an immigrant visa it get residency status the moment the person arrives in the USA theu get green-card and can take a job if they wish without needing to do any further processing.

K-3 is a NON-immigrant visa type, that was developed at a time when CR-1 visa processing was taking a VERY long time, the K-3 allowed spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for CR-1 visa petition (I-130) to be approved. K-3 is NOT work authorized, a and has to wait some time to get a green-card, K-3 needs to either adjust status or return to home country and interview for the CR-1. Also the K-3 costs MORE in fees.

K-3 (Life-ACT) is a visa type that was developed at at time when USCIS was taking a very long time to process I-130 compared to I-129F (K-1) the K-3's whole reason for existance is to reunite spouses and allow them to wait out the I-130 approval together. Since USCIS has begun the practice of approving I-130 AND I-129F starting last fall, the whole reason for K-3 (Entry to the USA and WAITING for I-130 approval). Since last fall if a person responds to the NVC requests for I-130 things like I-864, and DS-230, the CR-1 can be interviewed within weeks of a possible K-3 interview, not months like in the old days.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC and USCIS has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Added note about K-1 when compared to the others, K-1 is $100 more than K-3 for fees.

K-1:

I-129F: $455

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1596)

K-1 like K-3 has the added down time waiting for a green-card.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You can't file DCF unless you are living in China and are married. DCF eligibility is a little murky but in general they want you to have lived in China for six months.

That was also my understanding. Here's my projected timeline:

11/2008 - Met online

01/2009 - Met in Hangzhou (pictures from my Camera and her phone; her phone pictures have date stamp)

02/2009 ~ 07/2009 - Long distance, talk every day (Skype call records/QQ chat logs)

08/2009 - I fly to Hangzhou, propose (more of a formality; she's told me she will accept)

09/2009 ~ 12/2009 - Meet on weekends (She lives in Wuhan, I study in Hangzhou)

12/2009 ~ 01/2010 - Travel China with her (Shanghai, 3 gorges dam, Tibet if we can, meet family, etc)

02/2010 - Get married, Spring fest with family

03/2010 ~ 05/2010 - Live together in Hangzhou

03/2010 - File DCF

Then, when DCF goes through, return to the USA together :lol:

From what I've seen, income requirement is 125% of poverty line (and where it's actually 100% of poverty line, they still like at least 125%). I have multiple family members willing to cosponsor, and each well above the requirement. How do cosponsors affect the outcomes? Do CIS or GUZ look down upon need of a cosponsor?

You guys continue to be incredibly helpful. I can't express enough how much I do appreciate it. :lol:

You can't file DCF unless you are living in China and are married. DCF eligibility is a little murky but in general they want you to have lived in China for six months.

11/2008 - Met online

01/2009 - Met in Hangzhou (pictures from my Camera and her phone; her phone pictures have date stamp)

02/2009 ~ 07/2009 - Long distance, talk every day (Skype call records/QQ chat logs)

08/2009 - I fly to Hangzhou, propose (more of a formality; she's told me she will accept)

12/2009 ~ 01/2010 - Travel China with her (Shanghai, 3 gorges dam, Tibet if we can, meet family, etc)

02/2010 - Get married, Spring fest with family

03/2010 - File DCF

From what I've seen, income requirement is 125% of poverty line (and where it's actually 100% of poverty line, they still like at least 125%). I have multiple family members willing to cosponsor, and each well above the requirement. How do cosponsors affect the outcomes? Do CIS or GUZ look down upon need of a cosponsor?

You guys continue to be incredibly helpful. I can't express enough how much I do appreciate it. :lol:

That's doable, no red flags, like a short courtship.

Just make sure you maintain domicile, also perhaps look for an English teaching gig in China, so that you have a legitimate reason to be there for longer than 90 days.

Make sure you do not give up US domicile while in China, (Maintain US address, bank account, DL etc..)

11/2008 - Met online

02/2010 - Get married, Spring fest with familyif getting maried 02/2010 than DCF 6 months later would be 08/2010.

03/2010 - File DCF would have to be 08/2010..... :lol: .

You guys continue to be incredibly helpful. I can't express enough how much I do appreciate it. :D

Tom and Ling

11/2008 - Met online

02/2010 - Get married, Spring fest with familyif getting maried 02/2010 than DCF 6 months later would be 08/2010.

03/2010 - File DCF would have to be 08/2010..... :ph34r: .

Then, when DCF goes through, return to the USA together :ph34r:

You guys continue to be incredibly helpful. I can't express enough how much I do appreciate it. :D

Tom and Ling

Does the DCF require the couple to live together for 6 months after marriage? Or simply that the US citizen has been living in China for at least 6 months, and that the couple are married? I've always read it as two separate conditions. Even on the I-130 instructions, I can't find much info on DCF so I'd appreciate if you have any clarification.

Does the DCF require the couple to live together for 6 months after marriage? Or simply that the US citizen has been living in China for at least 6 months, and that the couple are married? I've always read it as two separate conditions. Even on the I-130 instructions, I can't find much info on DCF so I'd appreciate if you have any clarification.

Nope, not living together or married for 6 months, just the US citizen needs to be residing in the consular district for 6 months.

If the sponsoring U.S. citizen has been residing in China for longer than six months, the I-130 may be filed at the CIS offices in Beijing or Guangzhou, depending on where in China the petitioner is living.
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/cr...and_cr2/ir2.htm