How long between marriage and return to China?

Assuming we can get married in September and apply for AOS right away, what is the earliest my future wife can return to China and be able to re-enter the USA?

Does she need a green card to do this? We are trying to balance how much stuff she should bring with her for the wedding in USA and then perhaps she can return back to China and arrange shipment of more of her stuff. It will also help her tie up any loose ends, show pictures to relatives who cannot attend our wedding etc.

From some of the timelines I see here it looks like it can be up to 6 months or longer to get a green card.

Also what is difference between a temporary green card and a permanent one?

Guest ShaQuaNew

Assuming we can get married in September and apply for AOS right away, what is the earliest my future wife can return to China and be able to re-enter the USA?

Does she need a green card to do this? We are trying to balance how much stuff she should bring with her for the wedding in USA and then perhaps she can return back to China and arrange shipment of more of her stuff. It will also help her tie up any loose ends, show pictures to relatives who cannot attend our wedding etc.

From some of the timelines I see here it looks like it can be up to 6 months or longer to get a green card.

Also what is difference between a temporary green card and a permanent one?

If your future spouse is in a hurry to return to China, you can always file for advanced parole after you get married.

Ya - I'm with ShaQuaNew on this one. Advanced parole is the way to go. If you file AOS with full fee (1010 ? ) she is entitled to 1) EAD 2) AP and 3) green card (if all is copasetic).

How FAST this happens will also depend on WHICH service center handles the AOS. Which service center are you 'homed' to ?

'temporary vs permanent' - used to be, this was loosely applied to 'Conditional Permanent Resident ' - 2 year GC, vs 'I-something Permanant Resident' or a 10 year card.

Recently, there has been some issuance of 'temporary' green cards that are given in lieu of the big heavy plastic laminate thingie - seems there was a backlong on the printing of 'the real thing' and some other version of the I-551 (green card) is being issued recently DURING an AOS interview, with a a promise to send out the real laminate I-551 RSN (Real Soon Now), once the backlog is 'fixed' .

I don't know if there are any travel restrictions on this new 'temporary' card, I don't recall either way...

Ya - I'm with ShaQuaNew on this one. Advanced parole is the way to go. If you file AOS with full fee (1010 ? ) she is entitled to 1) EAD 2) AP and 3) green card (if all is copasetic).

How FAST this happens will also depend on WHICH service center handles the AOS. Which service center are you 'homed' to ?

'temporary vs permanent' - used to be, this was loosely applied to 'Conditional Permanent Resident ' - 2 year GC, vs 'I-something Permanant Resident' or a 10 year card.

Recently, there has been some issuance of 'temporary' green cards that are given in lieu of the big heavy plastic laminate thingie - seems there was a backlong on the printing of 'the real thing' and some other version of the I-551 (green card) is being issued recently DURING an AOS interview, with a a promise to send out the real laminate I-551 RSN (Real Soon Now), once the backlog is 'fixed' .

I don't know if there are any travel restrictions on this new 'temporary' card, I don't recall either way...

The temporary green card is the I-551 stamp in the passport (good for one year with all privileges of the real thing), is it not?

Randy, that is ONE form of an I-551. The actual GC itself, is another.

I am talking about a 'temporary card' - not a 'stamp in the passport'.

Marriage and AOS sounds like K-1 visa, if this is tha case, the soonest can travel and return to the USA is after getting an AP doc from filing I-131 when doing AOS, or after getting green-card.

When filing AOS file an I-131 along with the I-485 and I-765. The I-131 generates and AP doc that allows travel while waiting for a green-card.

AP can take 90 days or so to get.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Speaking of travel, my wife and her son will be travelling back to China later this summer.

I just want to confirm that all they need to get back into the US is their

• Chinese passports
  • US Green Card

I also wanted to confirm that there typically is not an issue if my wife's name shown on her GC (my last name is shown) and her name on her passport are different.

I plan to provide my wife a copy of our marriage certificate to show to the Chinese officials if this issue comes up.

Thank you,

-Squonk

"The temporary green card is the I-551 stamp in the passport (good for one year with all privileges of the real thing), is it not?"

The stamp is the only "card" you can get during an interview

?????!?

Why would there be any confusion?

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Speaking of travel, my wife and her son will be travelling back to China later this summer.

I just want to confirm that all they need to get back into the US is their

• Chinese passports
  • US Green Card

I also wanted to confirm that there typically is not an issue if my wife's name shown on her GC (my last name is shown) and her name on her passport are different.

I plan to provide my wife a copy of our marriage certificate to show to the Chinese officials if this issue comes up.

Thank you,

-Squonk

Yes - and the marriage certificate is a good idea

"The temporary green card is the I-551 stamp in the passport (good for one year with all privileges of the real thing), is it not?"

The stamp is the only "card" you can get during an interview

?????!?

Why would there be any confusion?

Yes Randy, you are correct in your post. :D

Having just went through this last week, there is nothing to guess/speculate about this part of the process.

The ISO drew a line across the K-visa and wrote CWOP.

Then she removed the I-94.

Finally, she took the visas to another room, and another ISO stamped the red [temporary] I-551 on one of the pages of the passport.

It reads as follows:

Upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year.

Issue Date: xxxxxxxx

Officer: --- ------

EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED

Valid Until: xxxxxxxxxxxx

The ISO then hand printed their A #'s and new designation, IR-6/7

This stamp is the same as the actual GC, until it arrives, and has all the privileges of the GC; albeit not as pretty.

Met my love 06-08-07

First Kiss 06-16-07

Engaged in Hong Kong 10-27-08

Mailed I 129F package to USA 11-27-08

Mom added check mailed out VT 12-09-08

Web Site lists file date 12-15-08

Received NOA 1 or P1 12-28-08

Received NOA 2 or P2 03-31-09

Fianc¨¦ Received P3 05-09-09

Returned P3 to GZ 05-19-09

Sent email to GZ ask about date 06-01-09

Got email back 06-03-09

Received P4 06-11-09

Appointment date set for 07-01-09

Got Pink 07-01-09

Got Visa 07-04-09

same question....

I am thinking pink so same question I will file in Miami I have seen some time lines its the worst place to file.. and orlando office was 1 year or something.. does any one know if we go to miami file the forms the 485 etc.. how long it will take for us to be able to come back to china to do a little wedding parry here..? we are a few days before the interview right now.. she is nervous about getting stuck in USA and i want to tell her exactly after we marry we can go back to China ??? but i dont have that answer does any one?? thanks pink pink come on pink.. he h e..

I am thinking pink so same question I will file in Miami I have seen some time lines its the worst place to file.. and orlando office was 1 year or something.. does any one know if we go to miami file the forms the 485 etc.. how long it will take for us to be able to come back to china to do a little wedding parry here..? we are a few days before the interview right now.. she is nervous about getting stuck in USA and i want to tell her exactly after we marry we can go back to China ??? but i dont have that answer does any one?? thanks pink pink come on pink.. he h e..

I can tell you are new, you can put your timeline in your signature block using "My Controls" above and edit signature, having it in all your posts is distracting.

When the time comes you file I-485 to the PO box in Chicago, in many K-1 cases USCIS transfers the I-485 to the California Service Center for adjudication and approval without an interview, this usually takes 4 months or so.

The timing for your field office only applies if USCIS holds case in Missouri Service center and does not transfer to CSC, it then can take that long for field office to interview.

Again you DONT file I-485 in Miami, you mail it to USCIS Chicago PO Box.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)