USA wireless routers on Chinese DSL

Hi,

We HOPE to go to China soon to see the house we bought and visit my wife's family (swine flu permitting). I want to take an american wireless router so I can understand the setup menus.

Has anybody done this? Any experiences to relate?

-James

It will work fine, Ethernet is Ethernet, this is universal, however some countries limit what channels 802.11 A,B,G wifi can broadcast on, so the high or low channels may be restricted and interfere with something else.

Best to program the router to stick to channel 3 through 10.

It will work fine, Ethernet is Ethernet, this is universal, however some countries limit what channels 802.11 A,B,G wifi can broadcast on, so the high or low channels may be restricted and interfere with something else.

Best to program the router to stick to channel 3 through 10.

This is true.. especially with wireless telephones in and around the home!

Thanks!

It's issues like the channels that REALLY make me want to have english language screens in the router...

All our laptops have internal wifi so I hope to avoid putting wires into or through the walls in my wife's new dollhouse. She is just very excited about finally getting there and getting moved from her old house.

-James

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hi,

We HOPE to go to China soon to see the house we bought and visit my wife's family (swine flu permitting). I want to take an american wireless router so I can understand the setup menus.

Has anybody done this? Any experiences to relate?

-James

You probably will have to place your router in tandem with the Chinese DSL router. Chinese DSL routers usually contain proprietary firmware and decoding modules, to decode the incoming telephone signal. These boxes may or may not provide a wireless internet signal, it just depends on how it was set up, and usually require a username and password to configure; the same as most routers. You will likely need to plug your router into the Ethernet output of the DSL box.