Need Advice

The US Customs and Border Protection website (CBP.GOV) has this answer and many other answers to questions relating to entry in the USA, international travel, etc.

The FAQ response to this question is:

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-;) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

If assistance is required, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer can help with filling out the form.

Please be aware, if persons traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result to civil and criminal penalties.

The FinCEN 105 can be obtained prior to traveling or when going through CBP.

Ya - I've had to do this - reporting is NOT A PROBLEM. Just fill out the form. There are NO FEES when carrying currency through a POE.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

You will not be taxed on foreign income, so simply be honest and declare it at customs.

You will not be taxed on foreign income, so simply be honest and declare it at customs.

Actually you are taxed on foriegn income you declare if you decide to file as a US legal resident but you are not taxed on money you bring into the country.

I hope he got to read the answer before taking his flight today ....

She can wire this amount to your bank account for a fee. She can inquire this at a large Bank of China branch. Carrying large amount of cash involves risk.

Other options include American Express traveler's check, Western Union, a VIP Visa/Master Card from her local bank.

Actually you are taxed on foriegn income you declare if you decide to file as a US legal resident but you are not taxed on money you bring into the country.

I hope he got to read the answer before taking his flight today ....

thanks for everybody's response, i got the answer!!