Lao Po?

Guest Pommey

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They even use it in songs, old and new songs to mean husband (laogong) and wife (lao po) :rolleyes:

indeed. for example, a classic many here are sure to know:

i personally like the version with: ¡°ÀÏÆÅÀÏÆÅÎÒ°®Ä㣬¾ÍÏñÀÏÊó°®´óÃס± (wifey wifey I love you, just like a rat loves rice)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Lao Po is wife. It has nothing to do with "old". It is like Lao Shi mean mouse.

If you find things are getting a little boring around the house, you can always try, "Hey laopo, you've been looking a little old lately."

Lil' rabbit works for us...who would guess, huh? She also likes Lao Po, although I think that sounds too much like a certain pet food company so I don't use it very much.

Lil' rabbit really likes it when I call her "She who have butt"...and so it goes. :eyebrow:

tsap seui

Guest Pommey

Lao po meaning is wife who is soft, noble and ellegant, has 1 in heart, why like old grandmother you ask.

Well this seems to relate to chinese having less words and imbedded meanings original word is from tang dai - "old woman" it normally referes to wife sitting home doing the housework, wife,belong, share, gets old fast.

it has developed from poetry, history and culture.

Complicated right :clapping:

so the question remains why would your wife like to be called that ?

well read the poems, a lesson to the lao gong in respect. check it out dudes.

Guest Pommey

They even use it in songs, old and new songs to mean husband (laogong) and wife (lao po) :)

chinese word for wife is Qizi , but it is never used (except in legal talk) as its too simple it just married woman- wife, but carries no meanings/responsibilities.

They even use it in songs, old and new songs to mean husband (laogong) and wife (lao po) :rolleyes:

chinese word for wife is Qizi , but it is never used (except in legal talk) as its too simple it just married woman- wife, but carries no meanings/responsibilities.

Qizi is used. My wife uses it all the time. She likes it. As with many Chinese, she doesn't care much for lao po but she says there are many names used in China meaning wife. Furen and Airen are a couple I haven't seen mentioned here yet they are two more names meaning wife.

But qizi was the first I ever learned and is what I sometimes use to call my wife- qizi. :)

There is a distinction in names used for example, furen, broken down means- husband, fu, as in zhangfu, and ren- people, therefore it means husband's wife, or simply wife. Complicated but I think I got it right. You can say, "It's a Chinese thing- I wouldn't understand." :roller:

Guest Pommey

Lil' rabbit works for us...who would guess, huh? She also likes Lao Po, although I think that sounds too much like a certain pet food company so I don't use it very much.

Lil' rabbit really likes it when I call her "She who have butt"...and so it goes. :)

tsap seui

We actually think thats best, we just our pet names, which we like rather than Lao po/gong

I call mine tai tai or crazy old China woman.

ROFL -- And I thought I had this nick name for my Lao Po coined! Oh well, since she's 10 years younger then I am, I can't say "old" but the rest of it fits! :lol:

They even use it in songs, old and new songs to mean husband (laogong) and wife (lao po) :)

Qizi is used. My wife uses it all the time. She likes it. As with many Chinese, she doesn't care much for lao po but she says there are many names used in China meaning wife. Furen and Airen are a couple I haven't seen mentioned here yet they are two more names meaning wife.

But qizi was the first I ever learned and is what I sometimes use to call my wife- qizi. :wub:

There is a distinction in names used for example, furen, broken down means- husband, fu, as in zhangfu, and ren- people, therefore it means husband's wife, or simply wife. Complicated but I think I got it right. You can say, "It's a Chinese thing- I wouldn't understand." :P

This is true...my wife prefers qizi or tai tai but almost whinces when I say lao po...lol