School Registration

We are getting soooooo close to getting our son here! I am hopeful it will be within the next few weeks and once he is here we need to register him for school.

My question is for those who have gone through this....What do I need to get from his school? How many years going back? If it is translated in China does it help or need to be notarized? Can we translate it ourselves?

Michael is a rising 11th grader.

Thanks for the help,

This is a question you need to ask the high school so that you can give them what's needed. It shouldn't be difficult but find out from the school. They should be fair and accomodating to your situation and not hard, demanding and difficult. Good Luck.

One of the more important things needed is proof of certain vaccinations that are required by all students. You can ask the school about what vaccinations are required.

This is a question you need to ask the high school so that you can give them what's needed. It shouldn't be difficult but find out from the school. They should be fair and accomodating to your situation and not hard, demanding and difficult. Good Luck.

One of the more important things needed is proof of certain vaccinations that are required by all students. You can ask the school about what vaccinations are required.

Hi Corey&Xu,

Like samsong said...get what the High School requires for immunizations. Ling and I got all the immunizations in GUZ and it was enough to satisfy the High School.

The boys brought their immunization records from China and make sure that Xu gets those records. Ling translated the records and the doctor in Chapel Hill was satisfied with the translation. And what the boys had in GUZ was mostly booster shots.

One of the biggest problems the boys had was English. They don't speak english and so the middle school put them in the eight grade, and they would have gone on to High School next year ,,based on age.

I was totally against this but the school was insistant, however, two weeks later the middle school agreed with me and placed them back one year so that they could get more English behind them before going off to High School.

You won't have that problem since your boy is already in High School, but how well does your boy speak Engish??

You might want High School records from China and have them translated. There are translators here in North carolina at most schools but it might be easier to have it done there,,however it is free in North Carolina,,atleast it was for us. Phillips Middle school had a Chinese translator for our parent/teacher conference.

Tom and Ling

Thanks Tom,

I have the requirements as far as immunizations but the transcrits portion from the school was not precise. They basically said "get as much information as possible".

Michael has been attending a high school that has all of the classes in english. He can read, write and speak english very well. I think the high school he is in can hopefully provide a transcript for the past year in english. The previous year was a different school as 9th grade in Beijing was considered a middle school. I am not sure how far back I need to go....1 year...maybe 2?

I am sure each state and county is a little different.....just thought it would help to know what others experienced.

Thanks,

Hi Corey&Xu,

Like samsong said...get what the High School requires for immunizations. Ling and I got all the immunizations in GUZ and it was enough to satisfy the High School.

The boys brought their immunization records from China and make sure that Xu gets those records. Ling translated the records and the doctor in Chapel Hill was satisfied with the translation. And what the boys had in GUZ was mostly booster shots.

One of the biggest problems the boys had was English. They don't speak english and so the middle school put them in the eight grade, and they would have gone on to High School next year ,,based on age.

I was totally against this but the school was insistant, however, two weeks later the middle school agreed with me and placed them back one year so that they could get more English behind them before going off to High School.

You won't have that problem since your boy is already in High School, but how well does your boy speak Engish??

You might want High School records from China and have them translated. There are translators here in North carolina at most schools but it might be easier to have it done there,,however it is free in North Carolina,,atleast it was for us. Phillips Middle school had a Chinese translator for our parent/teacher conference.

Tom and Ling

Thanks Tom,

I have the requirements as far as immunizations but the transcrits portion from the school was not precise. They basically said "get as much information as possible".

Michael has been attending a high school that has all of the classes in english. He can read, write and speak english very well. I think the high school he is in can hopefully provide a transcript for the past year in english. The previous year was a different school as 9th grade in Beijing was considered a middle school. I am not sure how far back I need to go....1 year...maybe 2?

I am sure each state and county is a little different.....just thought it would help to know what others experienced.

Thanks,

Tom and Ling

Hi Corey,

I would go back only to the 9th grade because most middle schools in NC are for socializing........ :victory: :P :P :D

As far as Math goes they will test him and they will check his English too. It is good he speaks English...He is far ahead of my boys... :D :P :P .

I don't know whether they will give him credit for subjects taken in China (Probably not).

Tom and Ling

I remember when my brother and sister registered in middle and high school years ago when we first moved to US, they showed their report cards from HK that states what classes were taken then some of the credits were able to be counted in US during their high schoool years. Since the classes were counted, they didn't have to fall back one year, but I think that was becasue the school registeration lady was able understand the report since it was written in both English and Chinese.

My question is for those who have gone through this....What do I need to get from his school? How many years going back? If it is translated in China does it help or need to be notarized? Can we translate it ourselves?

My daughter came here last August to start 11th grade. She was going into 11th grade in China, and I did not move her back. Her math and science were so far ahead of USA students, she would have just wasted a year of her life if I sent her to 10th grade.

Here is what I know.

High school in China is only 10 - 12, but high school in America is 9-12, so you need a transcript from both the Chinese middle school and Chinese high school.

The Chinese schools do this often, know what they are doing, and will translate the grades and classes to English and 4.0 grade system.

The content of classes in China is not clear from the name of the classes on the sheet, so you need to understand what content was taught in social studies or math or whatever class in China, then the registrar in America can map the class properly.

Classes in China are much more difficult than std. classes in America, and should be credited as "AP" classes in many cases (adds 10 points to grade). The American school will only grant AP credit if the school in china marks classes as "advanced courses deserving additional credit" or some such notation.

As for immunizations, most you will get as part of the visa (if you are cr/1). The additional shots are the 2 follow up hepatitus shots and some other follow-ups I dont remember. point is you cant get them all in china no matter what, and at health dept. they are cheap, so it is not a big worry.

Do be sure and get a record (official yellow book) of shots received in china so he doesnt have to get them again in america.

ESL classes were a terrible waste of my daughters time.

I enrolled her in ESL so she could get help with homework etc., but in truth I think they were a waste of her time. She would have done better spending that time talking to american student.

My daughter was great in english in china, scored 99 or 100 on most of her tests. She could speak to me most times, and communicate without issue.

Upon going to class here, for the first 6 months she did not understand anything the teachers said.

Fortunately there were ABC students in her classes, and they helped her with homework assignments etc.

By 6 months, she could understand her teachers, and is doing much better.

My point to this is, even a brilliant student from China will suffer in american school for a while.

Edited by credzba (see edit history)

Classes in China are much more difficult than std. classes in America, and should be credited as "AP" classes in many cases (adds 10 points to grade). The American school will only grant AP credit if the school in china marks classes as "advanced courses deserving additional credit" or some such notation.

Upon going to class here, for the first 6 months she did not understand anything the teachers said.

Fortunately there were ABC students in her classes, and they helped her with homework assignments etc.

By 6 months, she could understand her teachers, and is doing much better.

My point to this is, even a brilliant student from China will suffer in american school for a while.

Good write up, but what are "AP" & "ABC" please?

AP = Advanced Placement

ABC = Association for Business Communication

A = ACADEMICS

B = BEHAVIOR

C = CITIZENSHIP

I am new to this situation, thanks

I think the AP is correct. I'm not sure about the ABC acronym. I'd just thought I give it a try. Credzba will be able to answer it for sure.

A new American school for a young Chinese. I have plenty of experience in that as do alot of people here. It wasn't too bad, all went rather smooth for us. I wish you the same and it should go well.

We got records as far back as possible ... and had it all translated before Zheng got here.

When our son started school last year we asked that he be put into AP courses ... the school tested hm the first week of school and he got into all but the physics course ( it was full ) but he kept up his studies in physics online and still kept his A in the class ... next year he will have all AP corses and with dual enrollment he will also have some college out of the way. Make sure you go to the school as soon as possible and get enrolled ..... as far as the shot records all Zheng needed was a cpl of boosters and the Hep B series ( required in fl and most schools ) the rest was easy .... he went into ESL but only for the first term ... he didn't need it and they figured that out pretty quick ... but i think it helped him .... not with the language as much as jut helping him get used to the school and the system .... the teacher was always there to answer any question.

Zheng will be a senior this year and is a straight A student.