Is it OK to steal hotel amenities?

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just lotions

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/traveltips/...ties/index.html

As far as the amenities like soap, hair shampoo, and lotions are concerned, it's not stealing:

The truth is that even the most parsimonious innkeepers want you to take their grooming products and paper goods home, the thinking being that every time you use an item that bears the hotel's name you'll remember what a wonderful time you had there and plan another visit (and not just to take more stuff).

However, I believe the people who "steal" things like towels, bathrobes, ashtrays, and other items of this nature, should be made to pay, and even prosecuted in the more extreme cases I've seen.

Guest Pommey

got a great 54" plasma from the super 6 last night :lol:

agree with Tony, we have paid for the cute little shampoo, lotion, toothpaste and coffee pouches, fool to leave them.

In China, we have usually paid an extra night for deposit. they check the room before returning the deposit. You can return things rather than pay for them, but the price is usually to high to make you want to keep the items. I haven't seen much in a Chinese hotel room that I would ever want to take. Mike & Yizhen

I agree with ShaQuaNew.

I always got a kick in Romania. As soon as you closed the door to leave, the maid was in your room checking it out to make sure you didn't steal anything. By the time you got to the checkout desk, they will have called the front desk, the only time you got such speedy service. The rooms had nothing you would want to take. The towels were threadbare. The ashtrays and bathrobes were stolen from somewhere else, usually with a logo of a New York hotel, each one different. A colleague had trouble with the bathrobe staying of the hanger, so he folded it up and put it on the top shelf. The front desk got a stolen robe alert before he could checkout.

Tony, that does not sound like something that should be charged for. I think you should raise a bit of trouble about that.

Also, my plastic key (the electronic one) was bend and they want to charge me 20 rmb. I argued and they dropped that charge. And I gave them back the attraction guide.

Guest Tony n Terrific

As an advetising gimmick a few years back some motels would have on the ashtray that would say I stole this from ABC Motel.

Those tiny soaps, hair shampoo, lotions, toothpaste are disposable items, and should be thrown away by the hotels and not to be used by the next guest. Bath towels are re-usable and should not be taken away from the hotels.

Many Chinese hotels have beverages in their refrigerators. If guests drink those, then they will be charged.