Name Change on Chinese Passport?

My wife took my last name when we married. We now have the green in her new name of course, but her passport is in her previous name. She took my last name and made her previous last name her middle name.

Will re-entry to the US be a problem if we travel on her old name (passport and plane tickets), and her new name on the green card? It would be easy to bring the marriage certificate to prove this. We are considering visiting China and are trying to work out all the details.

I've read a bit about the name change process for the chinese passport. It looks like the only option is to bring the chinese passport to a China consulate (chicago) in PERSON and they can ammend it. That's fine, but Chicago is an 8-10hr drive and we are not free during week days when they are open.

So will we be fine re-entering the US with the new name on the green card and the old name on the chinese passport? If not, are there any other options for ammending the passport?

This is quite normal.

Book airline tickets using passport name.

When leaving China and re-entering the USA you use green-card.

Carry a copy of marriage cert to show name change.

While in China, you may be able to get married name amended into passport. "AKA"

My wife made her first visit back home before we had the addendum done in her passport. She had no trouble leaving China or re-entering the US with the green card and passport having different names. As Dan mentioned be sure to book the plane ticket in the same name as the passport.

The addendum doesn't change the name on the passport. It is just a page that says something to the effect of " the name on this passport is also such and such."

The Chinese consulate in Chicago is pretty easy going about the apply in person rule, try sending them an email asking if it would be possible for your wife to submit for a name change amendment for her passport by mail service.

We explained it would be extremely difficult to come in person and they said no problem. We submitted the form along with the fees for the process and mail service along with a prepaid FedEx label. Also included a copy of the email they sent. A few weeks later it arrived back with the change.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are getting ready to go to DC to get my last name added to my wife's name on her Chinese passport in the way disussed here (also known as). There are two Chinese Embassy buildings in the DC area. I have been to the one where you get visas to visit China, but I don't know which one we should go to to get the "also known as" added to her Chinese passport. Has anyone here gone to DC to do this? Is an appointment necessary? Can it be done with same day service?

Thanks