Let Us Forget...

President Nixon and his administration's public reaction to the shootings was perceived by many in the anti-war movement as callous. Then National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger said the president was "pretending indifference." Stanley Karnow noted in his Vietnam: A History that "The [Nixon] administration initially reacted to this event with wanton insensitivity. Nixon's press secretary, Ron Ziegler, whose statements were carefully programmed, referred to the deaths as a reminder that 'when dissent turns to violence, it invited tragedy.'"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone will forget.

A Soldier's View

One day in a 5000 year + history, forgotten no, most important maybe not. tradegy yes. every country has them.

One day in a 5000 year + history, forgotten no, most important maybe not. tradegy yes. every country has them.

Time will tell how important that day was.

The ruling communists certainly did not meekly role over or fade away like some others. They quietly went about their business feeding their consumers. Bingo, everyone is happy.

China's job was easy. The West complied. Little force feeding was required. America and others were gorging themselves in debt.

Do fat geese squeal when this all becomes too uncomfortable? Surely relief will come when dinner is served.

Yes, time will tell how important that day was.

I remember May 4, 1970.

I was a student in college, and a jock. But the image of solders cutting down college students of campus with M-1's cut though my fog about VN at the time. Rather immediate message. As was June 4 for the College students of China. (my wife included).

As Jun points out, for perspective, and over time, lets remember that many if not most countries suffer these kinds of atrocities.

No one here is mentioning Mexico City (1968) on the eve of the Olympic games... Some very large number (still unaccounted for) of protesters were gunned down there as well. When was the last time Hil Clinton, SOS, asked for a full accounting of the dead in that atrocity? What are the chances she ever will?

From May 4 on, in my mind at least, I went from being a jock to being a war protester---and did so for the remainder of the VN war, although I did keep that athletic scholarship.

I'll just add about the living in a totalitarian state question...We plan to live in China continuously for 5 years and then return for vacations afterward...Would I ever consider renouncing my American citizenship so that I could become a PRCC??? :unsure: I do not even want my wife to return there to live without the protections of US citizenship... :blink:

Let us forget this thread. China has move forward. The past is behind us.

Can China also forget then the atrocities committed by Japan on them during WW2? Forgive and forget? Japan has moved forward too (actually).

We pick and choose what is forgettable, and what fills us with rage at the very mention. Or does the state/media?

Remember the anger sessions in 1984? Textbook stuff. Direct the people's anger outward. Baa.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

Can China also forget then the atrocities committed by Japan on them during WW2? Forgive and forget? Japan has moved forward too (actually).

We pick and choose what is forgettable, and what fills us with rage at the very mention. Or does the state/media?

Remember the anger sessions in 1984? Textbook stuff. Direct the people's anger outward. Baa.

It is much easier to tear open other's wound than own.

Very true, Joanne. I wish we could all be aware of that and use it as a stepping stone to looking into places we are typically scared to look, and with a more open mind.

One thing nobody has mentioned is when criticizing China you tend to put American values. For example, in America we have freedom of assembly. In America we can gather together in public places and protest legally. In China it is not legal. In America if there is an illegal assembly the police will gather in force and break it up just the same as in China. Since the incident China has been more cautious in it's handling of protests. Times change, governments change. It is pointless to use something that happened 20 years ago to criticize today's China.

The shooting of students at Kent state was a similar incident. That hasn't happened again since either. Both the US and China have improved.

I will agree with Jason on the Japan issue. It makes no sense to keep fanning the flames of hatred on a government that is completely changed from 65 years ago. Today's Japan is nothing like the military regime of WW-2. The US has forgiven Japan for Pearl Harbor. It's time for China to put aside hatred of Japan and move into the 21st century of better cooperation between nations.

Guest jin979

how true

Very true, Joanne. I wish we could all be aware of that and use it as a stepping stone to looking into places we are typically scared to look, and with a more open mind.

yes, with an open mind. The problem is who would know which mind is more open. :unsure:

yes, with an open mind. The problem is who would know which mind is more open. :D

On another website I visit from time to time, I noticed this quote:

"Living apart and at peace with myself, I came to realize more vividly the meaning of the doctrine of acceptance. To refrain from giving advice, to refrain from meddling in the affairs of others, to refrain, even though the motives be the highest, from tampering with another's way of life - so simple, yet so difficult for an active spirit". -- Henry Miller