What happens if greencard interview scheduled while wife is in China?

My wife decided she needed to go visit her parents in China, and she got her travel document approved (I-131), so she's good to go. However, her greencard (I-485) is still pending.

Now our concern is what happens if we get an NOA for her greencard interview, and the date is scheduled during her trip to China?

Is it possible to change the interview date? Anyone ever find themselves in this situation? Anyone have an interview NOA that provides any information about possible re-scheduling?

My wife decided she needed to go visit her parents in China, and she got her travel document approved (I-131), so she's good to go. However, her greencard (I-485) is still pending.

Now our concern is what happens if we get an NOA for her greencard interview, and the date is scheduled during her trip to China?

Is it possible to change the interview date? Anyone ever find themselves in this situation? Anyone have an interview NOA that provides any information about possible re-scheduling?

Yes - we had someone have their interview re-scheduled, because of a move. Then the AOS application was denied, because they failed to show at the original interview (USCIS mistake here). They spent a year afterward getting that mess straightened out (successfully)

Try to avoid re-scheduling, if at all possible. If she is out of the country at the time of her scheduled interview, she might be denied entry.

Guest ShaQuaNew

My wife and daughter returned to the US for their biometrics appointments for their 10-year green cards. Even though the timing couldn't have been more inconvenient, we knew it important to keep them, and not reschedule. Randy's suggestion is right on point in my view.

Yes - we had someone have their interview re-scheduled, because of a move. Then the AOS application was denied, because they failed to show at the original interview (USCIS mistake here). They spent a year afterward getting that mess straightened out (successfully)

Try to avoid re-scheduling, if at all possible. If she is out of the country at the time of her scheduled interview, she might be denied entry.

Why would they deny her entry if she has her travel document that authorizes re-entry?

i have heard of denial of entry back to US when you failed to go to your interview, becasue they will see that as you saying you want to quit applying for your green card.

i think it is better if she keeps her assigned interview date.

Is it really that black and white? Should we hire an immigration lawyer? She's going to be in China for 3 weeks, and I don't think she thinks she has anything to worry about (i.e, I don't see her changing her mind about the trip, not to mention the non-refundable ticket purchase).

Unfortunately, from the responses I've seen here, I now have a stomach ache from worry, which will probably turn into an ulcer by the time of her trip in July.

The only thing we got going for us, I guess, is that they haven't scheduled the interview yet. Generally speaking, how long from the date they send the letter is the interview usually scheduled out?

Guest ShaQuaNew

i have heard of denial of entry back to US when you failed to go to your interview, becasue they will see that as you saying you want to quit applying for your green card.

i think it is better if she keeps her assigned interview date.

Is it really that black and white? Should we hire an immigration lawyer? She's going to be in China for 3 weeks, and I don't think she thinks she has anything to worry about (i.e, I don't see her changing her mind about the trip, not to mention the non-refundable ticket purchase).

Unfortunately, from the responses I've seen here, I now have a stomach ache from worry, which will probably turn into an ulcer by the time of her trip in July.

The only thing we got going for us, I guess, is that they haven't scheduled the interview yet. Generally speaking, how long from the date they send the letter is the interview usually scheduled out?

You really should keep any interview appointment. Of course, you can always call to see what they have to say about rescheduling. But, even if you have non-refundable tickets, you can have the dates and times changed for a fee. It used to be about one-hundred bucks a ticket.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

ummm..... get the green card first :lol:

Let me ask then... what's the f'n point of the I-131 travel document? Is it just a crock of shit? The whole point of the travel document, I THOUGHT, is that it's supposed to let her travel before she gets her green card, but now all I hear is that you shouldn't travel until after the green card, which means the travel document is meaningless, except that it allowed us to think that it was okay to travel, buying the non-refundable tickets, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Guest Pommey

ummm..... get the green card first :)

Let me ask then... what's the f'n point of the I-131 travel document? Is it just a crock of shit? The whole point of the travel document, I THOUGHT, is that it's supposed to let her travel before she gets her green card, but now all I hear is that you shouldn't travel until after the green card, which means the travel document is meaningless, except that it allowed us to think that it was okay to travel, buying the non-refundable tickets, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

no the point is dont miss your GC interview

Bill you know USCIS, mess with them at your peril.

Why cant she wait ?

I would suggest that you make an info pass appointment , make the call on Wednesday, and ASK to have the appointment BEFORE your wife's scheduled departure date. IMO, solves a LOT of problems.

My question about biometrics was more along her timeline - the interview could come anywhere from 2 to 11 weeks after the biometrics appointment was finished.

no the point is dont miss your GC interview

Bill you know USCIS, mess with them at your peril.

Why cant she wait ?

yes, I know the USCIS too well, which is really the basis for my worry (meaning that although I didn't want to read the responses here, i realized the reality of the risk after reading them).

the reason she didn't want to wait is because she is really missing her family, and July is the only month they can all spend time together (her brother is a teacher). she was so happy when I got the tickets for her, which in turn made me very happy. taking that away from her feels really crappy.

in any case, i'm glad the responses came quickly, because i was still within the 24-hour period of buying the non-refundable tickets, which means I qualify for a full refund. we canceled the trip, and now she's calling her family to tell them the news. breaks my heart. but the worry is gone.

I would suggest that you make an info pass appointment , make the call on Wednesday, and ASK to have the appointment BEFORE your wife's scheduled departure date. IMO, solves a LOT of problems.

My question about biometrics was more along her timeline - the interview could come anywhere from 2 to 11 weeks after the biometrics appointment was finished.

if your timeline on biometrics-to-interview hold true, than an info pass appointment may be a moot thing... her biometrics were exactly 10 weeks ago today. if we could get that darn interview date set, then we could re-purchase the tickets, and all would be well again (assuming she has no problems at the interview). my fingers are crossed.