HELP - Need English Study Program for Wife

I read the other replies, and they give good advice for learning English, which was part of your original post.

However a few touched on the more important part of your post.

"It is affecting our marriage".

In what way is it affecting your marriage?

Do you communicate in english or chinese at home?

Is it necessary for her to work for the benefit of the family and her lack of English is hurting the family?

Have you considered giving up on English, speak Chinese (Mandarin?) at home, and ignore the rest of the world ?

I know that you know this, but I will say it anyway, your life together is why you married, why you wanted to be with this person.

All the other issues are simply distractions.

Finally, I will give one language suggestion that I use, and might help you.

At home I try to speak Mandarin. I am a native English speaker, and learning Mandarin is very difficult for me. So, we trade learning.

I try to learn the Mandarin for the same words they learn the English for.

Doing this will have 3 benefits (maybe more).

1) you can communicate more and more in mandarin at home.

2) you will realize how difficult learning another language is, and can sympathize with her more.

3) She will know your trying to learn Mandarin, and may be more willing to learn English.

This is a small town, if she doesn't work, she goes stir crazy here at home and gets depressed, which isn't good.

To send the money she sends back home, she needs to work. Buying condos.

I can't speak or learn Chinese - I am tone deaf, plus deaf in one ear. I can't hear the tones, so no way can I learn Chinese. I have a hard enough time hearing and understanding English.

If a person is going to get along in the USA, they need to learn English. English is our language and I believe if you want to live in the USA, you better damn learn the language.

Due to our age difference, I will probably die before her. She will have a real hard time if she doesn't know English when that time comes.

alaskagypsy

I read the other replies, and they give good advice for learning English, which was part of your original post.

However a few touched on the more important part of your post.

"It is affecting our marriage".

In what way is it affecting your marriage?

Do you communicate in english or chinese at home?

Is it necessary for her to work for the benefit of the family and her lack of English is hurting the family?

Have you considered giving up on English, speak Chinese (Mandarin?) at home, and ignore the rest of the world ?

I know that you know this, but I will say it anyway, your life together is why you married, why you wanted to be with this person.

All the other issues are simply distractions.

Finally, I will give one language suggestion that I use, and might help you.

At home I try to speak Mandarin. I am a native English speaker, and learning Mandarin is very difficult for me. So, we trade learning.

I try to learn the Mandarin for the same words they learn the English for.

Doing this will have 3 benefits (maybe more).

1) you can communicate more and more in mandarin at home.

2) you will realize how difficult learning another language is, and can sympathize with her more.

3) She will know your trying to learn Mandarin, and may be more willing to learn English.