Trouble with Internet Explorer 8

Since I installed Internet Explorer 8, my IE windows are frequently closed by DEP - Data Execution Prevention.

According to the help menu, Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

For me, this DEP gives me lots of headache and troubles by unnecessarily closing IE windows. Does anyone know how to get rid of it without incurring too much security risk? Thanks.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Since I installed Internet Explorer 8, my IE windows are frequently closed by DEP - Data Execution Prevention.

According to the help menu, Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

For me, this DEP gives me lots of headache and troubles by unnecessarily closing IE windows. Does anyone know how to get rid of it without incurring too much security risk? Thanks.

Microsoft has been employing scare tactics for years, that mislead people into thinking they have a security risk. As long as you are using good quality anti-virus protection, with firewall, and keep it regularly updated, you should be fine. Additionally, some of the better security products provide Web Threat protection, that will block known sites that present a security risk.

I do not use IE unless I absolutely have to. FireFox and Google Chrome both provide an excellent product that is not weaved into your operating system the way IE is.

You can uninstall IE, and locate a previous version of the application on the internet, and install it. Microsoft likely provides free download to previous versions.

To uninstall IE:

1. Open your Control Panel, and click Add Remove Programs.

2. Locate and click the icon for Add / Remove Windows Components

3. Select Internet Explorer from the list

4. Click Uninstall

....then, reinstall the previous version

I don't know what operating system you're running, but you can find IE 7 for Windows XP here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Microsoft has been employing scare tactics for years, that mislead people into thinking they have a security risk. As long as you are using good quality anti-virus protection, with firewall, and keep it regularly updated, you should be fine. Additionally, some of the better security products provide Web Threat protection, that will block known sites that present a security risk.

I do not use IE unless I absolutely have to. FireFox and Google Chrome both provide an excellent product that is not weaved into your operating system the way IE is.

You can uninstall IE, and locate a previous version of the application on the internet, and install it. Microsoft likely provides free download to previous versions.

To uninstall IE:

4. Click Uninstall

I don't know what operating system you're running, but you can find IE 7 for Windows XP here:

I've updated to IE 7 and 8 in the past and don't love either. I'm staying with IE 6 but occassionally see pages with tiny fonts that are unreadable. As noted above, you should be able to uninstall IE 8 in add/remove programs which should bring you back to your previous version. I also like Mozilla Firefox which I run from time to time when I run into small font issues, particularly when trying to read bank statements.

Thank you for your suggestions. I did not ask for IE 8. It was part of Window Vista periodical updates, where it prompted me to install IE 8.

You can do like most and run Firefox 3.x.

I prefer to use FF on both Vista and Mac over the default browsers (IE, Safari), I immediately add Google toolbar to Firefox http://toolbar.google.com/ the toolbar adds on the fly spell checking to input forms like the one you use to post to candle and other boards, it places a nice red line under wrong words, and you simply right-click the word for suggestions much like in MS-Word.

To uninstall IE:

4. Click Uninstall

Say Jesse,

What is google chrome all about?

I downloaded google-earth last night and google chrome came with it. I now have an icon in my task bar for google chrome.

You say you like it. Is it a browser like firefox? I haven't looked at it yet.

Say Jesse,

What is google chrome all about?

I downloaded google-earth last night and google chrome came with it. I now have an icon in my task bar for google chrome.

You say you like it. Is it a browser like firefox? I haven't looked at it yet.

Google Chrome seriously rocks. Much faster than Firefox, the most secure browser you can use. Uses much less memory if you are like me and are looking at 20 or 30 pages at once.

Edited by Christopher (see edit history)

Christopher - when my firm evaluated google chrome - there was some big hoopla about all of the site addresses being sent back to Google for their further study. At the time, that was a 'no-go' for my firm. I don't know if Google is still collecting side addresses, but for us, it was a level of intrusion that we didn't want.

We've paid for Opera Licenses for about 8 years now - I have nothing but good things to say about Opera. Ya, sure, there's a free version, too.