China southern airline BS

Hi all,

My girl is finally coming here!! She is in GUZ airport waiting for her flight to LAX right now, but I would like to share some sour grapes on china's part that I hope nobody else went through.

First airport Changsha, my girl goes to the counter and they ask for ticket (e-ticket w/Orbitz) so she gives it to him. The guy then says, where is passport number on copy? My girl says no need, he said she can't get 2 tcikets (same airline for her 2 stops), so he give her only ticket to GUZ. And then tells her good luck on getting a ticket in GUZ. So I spend last minute effort to get her passport number in computer, but then they never ask for it!!

Then she arrive at GUZ. Here we go again.

Jerk employee: ticket

My girl: here you go

JE: where is your final destination?

MG: boston,Mass

JE: how long will you live there?

MG: life

JE: What is your purpose for going there?

MG: marriage

JE: oh ok, well don't worry about your luggage it will go straight to Boston.

MG: But I hear (it doesn't, it stops at the first customs airport) that it stops at first customs place I go to in USA.

JE: hmm...nope! Have a nice flight!

I am going to write Orbitz and China Southern airlines about this obvious regard to confuse and try to hurt my girl!!! I have never heard of this crap with airlines before, anyone else deal with this type of sour grapes before?

Bill

It's a little late to offer any suggestions since she is already on her way here, but next time you head back to Changsha check out USCHINATRIP.COM I live in western mass, and go to Chonggqing. They have flights to Shanghai, then either land at JFK or Logan as POE. Not sure what you paid for a one way ticket, but I fly out of JFK, It costs me $841 round trip. I could fly out of bradley but it would be almost $300 more, so I take peter pan bus to port authority and the shuttle bus to JFK and save about $240. the round trip bus tickets are only about $60. But you are near Logan so that would probably suit you better.

Hope she makes it here with out any difficulties. I doubt that the ticket agent in GUZ knew what he was talking about her luggage will go straight to Boston.

For any complaint to be successful (ie - apology given and / or free stuff / booty ) - she'll need to get the name of the employee, the employee's company ID number, and keep meticulous records.

How's her BullSh|t meter, anyway? This is one of those areas where it's best, IMO, to scream for the supervisor on the first SMELL of bullsh|t.

Good Luck !

Well, she didnt get the guys name or number...oh well.. I can still complain and stop using that airline!

China Southern, never credits my Continental A/L millage and I end up writing the office in Houston to get them. Geez!

The last time I flew into GUZ it was Guaripari, Brazil...there can't be another airport with the same code, can there?

:unsure:

Hi all,

My girl is finally coming here!! She is in GUZ airport waiting for her flight to LAX right now, but I would like to share some sour grapes on china's part that I hope nobody else went through.

First airport Changsha, my girl goes to the counter and they ask for ticket (e-ticket w/Orbitz) so she gives it to him. The guy then says, where is passport number on copy? My girl says no need, he said she can't get 2 tcikets (same airline for her 2 stops), so he give her only ticket to GUZ. And then tells her good luck on getting a ticket in GUZ. So I spend last minute effort to get her passport number in computer, but then they never ask for it!!

MG: But I hear (it doesn't, it stops at the first customs airport) that it stops at first customs place I go to in USA.

I am going to write Orbitz and China Southern airlines about this obvious regard to confuse and try to hurt my girl!!! I have never heard of this crap with airlines before, anyone else deal with this type of sour grapes before?

Bill

it can be checked all the way through to boston but at the first POE you will have to claim it and recheck it ..... still that can be considered going straight to boston...

maybe i am wrong but you need your chinese id number on all domestic flights and your chinese passport number on all international flights....not sure how china southern was throwing BS here...

well, the BS started when they asked for something that isn't required! I have flown with these guys several times and no mention of my passport number came up. Also when I called Orbitz they said its not needed as well.

And technically speaking her luggage does go to boston but you just said that at the FIRST POE, you have to recheck it, so I don't understand where you were going with that.

And that's not considered going straight to Boston when you have to stop, and check it again, aren't we just being a tad picky???

avs81 - hei - it's orbitz - if you b|tch, gripe and complain ENOUGH, in the 'right way' and successfully, you can get some 'orbitz credit' on your account.

Good Luck ! If you need help writing a scathing letter, send me a PM.

re: luggage - here's what is normal.

Changsha to Guangzhou - check it at Changsha, pick it up at Guangzhou, recheck it at Guangzhou for the LAX flight at the checkin counter. BagTags say only 'Changsha to Guangzhou'

Guangzhou to LAX - International Flight Rules Apply. Checked in at CAN, then picked up at the POE - must go through a customs inspection with luggage. Walk the luggage out of the International Arrivals Area, and RECHECK the luggage for the Boston Flight. BagTags SHOULD SAY Guangzhou to Boston.

LAX to Boston - Check the luggage in a LAX, pick it up at Boston. Might get some new bagtags here - sometimes yes, sometimes no. if new bagtags, will say 'LAX to Boston'

So, you get some idea, is no 'hands free handling' of luggage from Changsha to Boston (sorry, Changsha is just an example). You just can't give it to the counter folk at Changsha and have it show up in Boston WITHOUT 3 rechecks. It's a PITA.

WEI - has yer lass landed yet ? Welcome Home !!

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

avs81 - hei - it's orbitz - if you b|tch, gripe and complain ENOUGH, in the 'right way' and successfully, you can get some 'orbitz credit' on your account.

Good Luck ! If you need help writing a scathing letter, send me a PM.

re: luggage - here's what is normal.

Changsha to Guangzhou - check it at Changsha, pick it up at Guangzhou, recheck it at Guangzhou for the LAX flight at the checkin counter. BagTags say only 'Changsha to Guangzhou'

Guangzhou to LAX - International Flight Rules Apply. Checked in at CAN, then picked up at the POE - must go through a customs inspection with luggage. Walk the luggage out of the International Arrivals Area, and RECHECK the luggage for the Boston Flight. BagTags SHOULD SAY Guangzhou to Boston.

LAX to Boston - Check the luggage in a LAX, pick it up at Boston. Might get some new bagtags here - sometimes yes, sometimes no. if new bagtags, will say 'LAX to Boston'

So, you get some idea, is no 'hands free handling' of luggage from Changsha to Boston (sorry, Changsha is just an example). You just can't give it to the counter folk at Changsha and have it show up in Boston WITHOUT 3 rechecks. It's a PITA.

WEI - has yer lass landed yet ? Welcome Home !!

Good explaination and that's about the way it works for me...and a scathing letter may pay dividends, try it. :rolleyes:

The ticket agents in China march to the beat of a different drummer, at least they didn't tag her for extra luggage fees on the domestic leg of the trip.

For anyone flying to the US a passport number is required to be collected no later than check in for the flight that will enter the US, this is true for USC's as well. This list is sent to Homeland security prior to the flight leaving for clearence to depart to the US, otherwise the flight will be refused entry to US air space.

It is a toss up as to whether the ticketing agency or the airline is responsible for that, but if it's not there the airline has to do it.

This situation is a whole lot better than being told you can't get on the plane, which has happened to more than one and the airline was wrong and leaving the visa holder standing at the gate in tears.

Hi all,

Bill

Dont believe them when they say the luggage will get there,i took china southern to Guangzhou,from tampa florida,the lady said i have your baggage going all the way to guangzhou,i heard you have to pick up in Los angeles(my connecting flight to Guz)she said no,it will go to Guz,well i got to Guz all right,but my baggage stayed in LA......i got the baggage the next day(delivered to my hotel room).

Jimi

On both my trips to returning from Chengdu, my checked bags were transferred by Shanghai Airlines(CTU > PVG) to the United flight(PVG>ORD>XNA) for me. I never had to retrieve them and recheck them at either Shanghai or Chicago. The next time I saw them was at my final destination.

Inbound, I checked my bags at XNA going to ORD and picked them up in HKG, transferred them myself to DragonAir to CTU

I wondered why I didn't have to walk my luggage through customs exit in at PVG? It seemed strange to me, but I was happy I didn't have to!