Farewell Nanjing

Well gang, the day has finally arrived for us. It's out last night here in Nanjing. I have to admit I am somewhat sad to be leaving this city. Nanjing doesn't have the expat community of Shanghai for Beijing, but still it has grown on me over these past few months.

Nanjing is a growing city of about 6 million people. It's downtown area is nice and there are a lot of great places to hang out and shop. Nanjing also opened up it's first Starbucks a few days ago too :) The expat community here is small and it like a little community of it's own.

There are many nice parks here too, like around the Purple Mountain area and the Ming Tombs.

Tomorrow we leave for Shanghai. We'll spend a few days in a hotel then move into our temp apartment while we wait for our new apartment to be completed, which should be at the first of the year.

All in all it's been a good several months for me here in Nanjing. I am sure we'll be coming back here once in a while for visits. What I like most about this place is that it's not too big like Shanghai and it's not too small, it's just right. The restaurants here have all been great. The cost of living is good here too, Shanghai on the other hand will be a bit more expensive, but hopefully I will be working within the next week or two.

Anyway, we're off to have our last night on the town. If any of you are planning a trip to China think about stopping in Nanjing for a day or two, it's a nice place. And if you come into Shanghai looks us up!!!

-Tim

Good luck with your move and new apartment Tim. Hope all goes smoothly. Yes, Nanjing is a nice city. I visited there several times during my first year in China, back in 1998. The Purple Mountain area is really beautiful. Li's family lives just south of Nanjing in a small town, Ma'anshan. Right on the Changjiang River. I love it there as well. They have a beautiful park downtown. My only complaint about Nanjing is the weather, man, it is hot in the summer. One of the "furnaces" of China as they say. Whew!