Instant Coffee Question

I'm a tea drinker. Don't touch coffee. Penny likes coffee. She usually drinks the Nescafe (sp?) instant coffee. I sent her a bag of Starbuck's coffee and she called to tell me that she doesn't have a coffee brewing machine. :) Egg on my face...

So I want to send her some instant coffee from here but don't know what to get. For you folks who have been in China and are coffee drinkers, do you have any recommendations on what I can get? I'd like to send her something that she can't get in China. The local Safeway here doesn't have much of a selection. Just Nescafe and Taster's Choice...

Thanks!

Jerry

Jerry,

When in the states I was a huge Starbucks/Caribou coffee drinker, but since I have been here I have been drinking a lot Nescafe. The Nescafe we drink here has the sugar and creamer already in it and there really is no substitute for it in the states that I know of.

What you may want to do is send her one of those italian coffee makers that have the screen and plunger thingy. Just add the coffee some hot water and she's ready to go with her Starbucks. Starbucks may be a bit strong for her at first, but I am sure she will get use to it.

Once we get settled into Shanghai I'll switch back to 'Bucks again, but for now I'll hang onto my Nescafe.

-Tim

One other thing I forgot to mention. One of the reasons I drink a lot of the instant coffee is because I have had a heck of a time finding coffee filters here in Nanjing, it may be the same in other cities too, that's why the Italian coffee maker may work for her. If you get her one tell her not to put too much coffee in it when she first makes coffee. These things can make some brew that will strip the paint off a car if your not careful :)

-Tim

Tim is so right on all counts. I must admit that I am a bit of a coffee snob. One of my few vices. Well....maybe one of many vices.... :D

When I was in China all that was available was those little Nescafe thingies with the cream and sugar already mixed it. To me, that was Kool-aid, not coffee. ;) I was eventually able to find a decent place that sold coffee beans in Shantou, where I lived for four years. They would grind the beans right up for you. Problem was, as Tim mentioned, coffee filters. I was able to find them, but only at the local Wal-Mart. I resorted to using paper towels if need be. I bought a Chinese coffee maker and it broke on the first pot made. Never worked again. Found one of those little plastic cones, kind of like what you put oil into a car with. I would put the coffee in there, with a filter of course, and pour hot water through the cone. Worked very well.

If all else fails, you could send her one of those French presses. That is what Time is describing I think. They make really good coffee but they tend to leave a few grounds in the brew until you get used to them.

Coffee is really catching on in China. Depending on where your lady lives, should be able to find a shop pretty soon. Be advised though, the prices are a bit high.

Coffee is really catching on in China. Depending on where your lady lives, should be able to find a shop pretty soon. Be advised though, the prices are a bit high.

Hainan Island is trying to become the country's coffee capital. While I was there, just about every street vendor had a supply of beans for sale. Not bad coffee.

Unfortunately, the prices are US prices. In Zhanjiang, I go to a place called Warmee that sells freshly brewed coffee, but it costs about $2.00 for a cup. And no free refills!!!!

My coffee maker has a permanant screen. It works just like a filter. I can take it out and wash it. That sounds like what ya need!

Patrick

I actually like some of the flavored coffee..... "Capuccino". She may like it too. Of course, for "real" capuccino, you need an espresso/capuccino maker. If you look around, you should also find stovetop espresso makers, but depending on how she likes the coffee, she may still want the hot milk too.....

However, if you want "real" Anerican style coffee, I would agree with Patrick. Get one of the "GOLD Filters".... Are they made with real gold? Perhaps that will impress her. :D

Don't forget the coffee grinder. Does she need 220 Volts?

The coffee presses mentioned above are also supposed to make good coffee. I have even seen the presses put into a cup. Add coffee & hot water, push down the plunger and drink (look at your favorite sporting good store (camping section) for that one).

One other thing that you might consider. Most of the flavored coffees have lots of milk-like stuff in it. If she changes to "regular" coffee, she may need some creamer or milk.

----- Clifford -----

Well 1 method to make coffee (not the best way by far) we would take a very large kettle full of boiling water pour in a can of coffee let it sit for a minute then pour in a large ladle of cold water this would cause the coffee grounds to sink to the bottom of the kettle. Then serve to all the soldiers in the field, I will have to say for Army coffee it was not bad.

Thanks for the head-up about Nescafe. I didn't realize that it doesn't taste like the coffee here. This could explain why she was surprised that I was surprised she drinks her coffee out of the 'packet' without adding anything to it. She said it wasn't too bitter at all and now I know why. :-)

I'm thinking now maybe I'll send some of the 'coffee-flavored' drink mixes that I see in the grocery store next to the Nescafe instant coffee. Would these taste like the Chinese Nescafe?

Also, where do I go about finding one of these Italian coffee makers? Any chance a local Target or Sears would carry them?

Jerry

If you want a good Italian coffee maker, perhaps a trip to Rome would be in order.

You will see several different electric ones at your favorite department store. But, be careful about voltages (most sold in the USA are 110 Volts).

For the "stovetop" variety, check out your favorite expresso shop or coffee specialty store. I have also seen cute ones in the camping departments of some stores (some people are really hooked on the stuff).

However,

I think you would be better off with one of the Gold Coffee Filter Cones or plunger type coffee makers rather than the Italian Coffee Maker. You can introduce her to the vices of corner Espresso shops when she gets here to America.

:angry:

------ Clifford ------