Goose Berry

A gooseberry is a berry indigenous to northern Europe.

A Chinese gooseberry (also known as "kiwi") is a fruit indigenous to central China.

There is also a variety of gooseberry indigenous to America. Perhaps it is from the West Coast.

If you have troubles keeping the apart, just remember that the US variety will give you goose bumps if you eat them raw!!!! :o

----- Clifford -----

A gooseberry is a berry indigenous to northern Europe.

A Chinese gooseberry (also known as "kiwi") is a fruit indigenous to central China.

Who was the stupid goose that gave them the name Chinese gooseberry? I thought they were really from New Zealand because they are fuzzy like a little kiwi bird.

From the food facts and trivia page:

What's in a name? Kiwifruit (Actinidia chinensis) were called Yangtao in China, their country of origin, renamed Chinese gooseberry when they were introduced to New Zealand in 1906, and finally named kiwi fruit when imported into the U.S. market in the early 1960s. The French call it souris végétales, 'vegetable mice'.

There are more than 400 different varieties of kiwi fruit in China where they have been used for over 700 years.

What's in a name? Kiwifruit (Actinidia chinensis) were called Yangtao in China, their country of origin, renamed Chinese gooseberry when they were introduced to New Zealand in 1906, and finally named kiwi fruit when imported into the U.S. market in the early 1960s.

The New Zelanders called them kiwis because the resembled the small flightless bird in appearance. From a marketing standpoint it was easier to sell Americans kiwifruit than it was to sell them Chinese gooseberries.

Ever had "cape shark"? Also known as... dogfish. Which would you rather eat?

I certainly see nothing wrong with serving catfish and dogfish together!!!!

As far as Kiwi Berries, since the American and Chinese Goosberries are so vastly different, I think the new name was in order. And, Kiwi just sounds so exotic.

Now, I have never understood why the name "filbert" has all but died out, and the name "hazelnut" has taken over.