Yin Yang ; Qi / Chi

David. can you rethink this in experience ?

Chinese classify everything according to Yin and Yang.

Yang = Male, sun, forward, happy, strong

Yin = Female, earth, backward, sad, weak

or explain what you mean by backward sad weak and strong happy forward i think many here will think these with western influance and not understand it .

Yin and Yang is a dualism but unlike western dualism, it carries no connotation of a ethical hierarcy (right vs wrong) or a value hierarchy (superior vs inferior).

In the other post, I gave the cosmological origin of Yin Yang; Returning or restoring balance and harmony is essential to all living things (heaven, earth, man). Zhuang Zi (next most famous Daoist author after Lao Zi) said that this is essentially a law [of nature] without form.

The earliest references to Yin or Yang occur on Oracle bones (Shang Dynasty: 1500-1040 BC) but appear more independent. An understand and application of this 'law' evolved through observations of nature and man; whether astrology, weather, medicine, food, or health, this lead to a fundamental understanding that all life is interconnected and interdependent; that everything within this system of living things has some influence on each other and depends on each other.

Man stood between heaven and earth and therefore was most easily influenced of all things (above and below). Thus was born the most naturalistic and humanistic philosophies concerning the balance and harmony of all things. During the Warring State period (475 - 221 B.C), there was a Yin Yang School of thought among the "School of Six", which included Daoism and Confucianism. While this 'school' did not last long, it developed many Yin Yang theories.

Feng Shui - Wind and Water - is a similar evolution of systematic thought from two originally separate things; brought together by ancient observations on nature's influence on man. As well, Daoism is really the combining of two originally separate things, Dao De - Way and Virtue; brought together by observations about Dao and man).

All of these separate ideas seek balance and harmony; between nature and man, between man and man, and between man and self. Yin Yang is the most pervasive applicable to every aspect of life.

From a health point of view: time of year, time of day, food, emotions, thinking, etc all have some influence on man, particularly his organs and health. Balance is essential to all these areas.

Focusing on emotions influence on organs, illness and disease: Most emotions when they go to the extreme or one is stuck in it, turns Yang; "Fire" rises and Qi can stagnate. (Even extreme happiness can be not good for the heart). Thus, different from the western perspective, emotions are viewed as a primary 'internal cause' of disease or illness and therefore the cause of 'imbalance' at times.

Another difference to the west is a focus on keeping balance by focusing on prevention. The west tends to focus on illness and waits to treat a person once they are ill; the TCM model is to focus on the person's influences with nature, man, and self. There is more of a continual treatment going on; a self-awareness that balance should be not just promoted but practiced. In essence, since balance [seeking] is found in nature, so man should follow the way of nature to seek balance.

I would hope that it comes as no surprise now, why chinese tend to minimize issues among each other; Nothing is to be taken too seriously or personally; offense is avoided; One should help each other keep things in balance, as each one is an responsible influence on the other's health.

Guest Pommey

very cool Dave, now lets take it to true life married to a taoist

its a cycle yes, a relationship of equals, and reflected in the smallest action or words.

honestly I am just at the beginning of this learning curve , but my perception is its about unraveling the complexity within ourselves and getting simple mind, pretty hard for us to do as it means not hiding a darn thing (from yourself) or your spouse.

All I can say is if you accept this path to understanding them, you will learn alot , but be ready to be challenged and maybe change.

living the dream with a yunnan woman (hard core) tuff as they get dudes, but definitely the most fun.

I've not thougth of it in terms of which is stronger; I'm not sure either is 'stronger'; I prefer the analogy of a battery circuit the + and - need the circuit completed through something which absorbs/uses the energy (light bulb). If you connect the + to the -, the battery explodes.

As mentioned, in TaiJi or Qigong, Qi is stored/collected/housed/fired in the [false] Dan Tien, below the navel. Anyone interested in the deeper theory of this can go here to read where the [real] dan tien is located more interior to the navel. I have many of this authors books.

\es of rest.

The Dan-tien is the store house of chi without a doubt. Yin with its darkness and cold would eventually overwhelm Yang. Yang being light, light as we know it is a product of the sun. Suns burn out, Yin triumphs with its eternal darkness and cold..

so take it beyond child talking what does it mean for life ?

Proably nothing, other than an intellectual discourse.

Edited by HKG (see edit history)

More about Yin Yang:

Lao Zi and others have spoke of many paradoxes; probably the most common ideas:

- water is soft yet can break rock or crumble mountains

- teeth fall out while the tongue remains

- wind has no shape yet topples buildings

- tall trees fall while the bamboo bends with the force of wind

I do agree with these paradoxes; so called 'weak' (Yin) things are strong; and that so called 'strong' (Yang) things are weak.

In life, it is easy for Yang to dominate us. Due to it's relative strength, the solution is balance to Yin. But the body is equally affected by too much Yang or too much Yin; too little Yang or too little Yin.

Lao Zi said:

all things shoulder Yin and embrace Yang. Blending the Qi force produces harmony.

It is similar to making a cake; the right blend of ingredients makes a satisfying cake. Too much or too little four, or sugar, or water ruins it.

Hey David, What's your opinion of Wayne Dyer's new book on the Tao Te Qing?

For reference, I think you mean this:

Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao (Hay House, 2007). ISBN 978-1401917500

Amazon.com comments

He is a self-help writer/speaker who wrote the famous, Your Erroneous Zones.

--------

I have not read it. At the daoist forum where I participate, there has been mixed comments... One compared him to Dr. Phil, offering help without a license. Others are not too keen on how far he appears to stray (and probably just not undrestand) from Lao Zi's thought and meaning. But some say he gets the gist of most chapters. And some recognize that he apparently understands how to reach people with a message; and if it helps them then let's not crucify the guy !

Apparently, he studied translations and came up with a translation that spoke to him. He appears to want people to change their thinking and offers help on "How to do Tao Now". To be very honest, that idea is much more Confucian than Daoist.. but that's another discussion.

If one wants self-help interpretations; then there are tons of translations, even online; if one wants to get back to original meaning or wants to understand it from a Daoist point of view, then one should start to look at the chinese as well and find the more traditionalist translators.

I've got tons of online links to hundreds of translations... I know that what speaks to one person does not speak to another.

• 2 weeks later...

Yin with its darkness and cold would eventually overwhelm Yang. Yang being light, light as we know it is a product of the sun. Suns burn out, Yin triumphs with its eternal darkness and cold..

I've been thinking alot more about this...

And your taking an isolated example (sun burns out; earth or other heavenly bodies remain). A match burns out since it cannot keep up with the unlimited air around it. Put the match in a closed container; if the match is large enough, it will require more air than is in the container and the air would get used up; no more Yin. All I did was reverse the relative size of the items involved in 'burning' away. Extreme Yang will burn up Yin (this is a proportional idea).

Nonetheless, I sought better indications instead of size or amount; although I did feel that in general, Yang needs to be tempered downward due to it's energy levels, and Yin needs to be encouraged upward due to it's stabilizing effect (yes, this agrees with the meridian flow aspect in the body too).

Also, what is very clear in chinese history and philosophy is that Yin is considered more dominant in terms of primary focus and attention; A few examples:

- lunar (Ying) calendar over solar (Yang) calendar

- eastern medicine favors Yin approach to western Yang approach

- Nature shows Yin is favorite child, in a sense (tree root is Yin and essential; water is Yin and often mentioned as archtype way to follow).

- Even the Laws of entropy show outer (Yang) decays before inner (Yin).

Too many examples could be given to show Yang is strong but will decay and burn out; Yin is weak, and yet more essential for preservation and lasts... thus, Yin accords more attention.

I'll only end with; they are not competitors but essential to balance each other. And their natural course (or way) is the understanding for life as we know it around us.

Lao Zi said: It is Yin on my shoulders and Yang on my arms...

yet together they function as part of the outer body (Yin), controlled by the inner body of mind (Yang), which is influenced by heaven above (Yang) and the earth belong (Yin); to live, inhale (Yin) and exhale (Yang); Ingest substance (Yin) and digest and process to waste (Yang)... it's an endless cycle. Life exists due to both.

• 2 weeks later...

Yin with its darkness and cold would eventually overwhelm Yang. Yang being light, light as we know it is a product of the sun. Suns burn out, Yin triumphs with its eternal darkness and cold..

I've been thinking alot more about this...

And your taking an isolated example (sun burns out; earth or other heavenly bodies remain). A match burns out since it cannot keep up with the unlimited air around it. Put the match in a closed container; if the match is large enough, it will require more air than is in the container and the air would get used up; no more Yin. All I did was reverse the relative size of the items involved in 'burning' away. Extreme Yang will burn up Yin (this is a proportional idea).

Nonetheless, I sought better indications instead of size or amount; although I did feel that in general, Yang needs to be tempered downward due to it's energy levels, and Yin needs to be encouraged upward due to it's stabilizing effect (yes, this agrees with the meridian flow aspect in the body too).

Also, what is very clear in chinese history and philosophy is that Yin is considered more dominant in terms of primary focus and attention; A few examples:

- lunar (Ying) calendar over solar (Yang) calendar

- eastern medicine favors Yin approach to western Yang approach

- Nature shows Yin is favorite child, in a sense (tree root is Yin and essential; water is Yin and often mentioned as archtype way to follow).

- Even the Laws of entropy show outer (Yang) decays before inner (Yin).

Too many examples could be given to show Yang is strong but will decay and burn out; Yin is weak, and yet more essential for preservation and lasts... thus, Yin accords more attention.

I'll only end with; they are not competitors but essential to balance each other. And their natural course (or way) is the understanding for life as we know it around us.

Lao Zi said: It is Yin on my shoulders and Yang on my arms...

yet together they function as part of the outer body (Yin), controlled by the inner body of mind (Yang), which is influenced by heaven above (Yang) and the earth belong (Yin); to live, inhale (Yin) and exhale (Yang); Ingest substance (Yin) and digest and process to waste (Yang)... it's an endless cycle. Life exists due to both.

When Yin/Yang separate, death follows.