Yin Yang ; Qi / Chi

I found it cheaper on Amazon... it had better be good or Rob gets a bill from me :P

my link sells book with english and chinese in same book.help you learn to read chinese too :lol:

I must admit.. I go the Guang Ming Buddhist Temple in Orlando... not quite Taoist, despite my allegiance to Lao Zi !! :lol:

One story:

In Taiji class, the master showed us the 'prayer' pose of Yin Yang. When I asked him which hand is Yin or Yang he said, "ask the temple master...".

I told him, "buddhist don't believe in Yin or Yang.. all is 'nothing' ".

He only laughed and shook his head in agreement.

Yin Yang symbol is really called Tai Ji Du..but since the west could never even get that correct, (they erroneously call Tai Ji as Tai Chi), Yin Yang is apparently an easy enough alliteration the west could pronounce :(

Yin and Yang are just two energies; think a battery with a - and + charge; there must be balance in the resulting charge; an excess of either one causes problems. Nature seeks balance as does the human body. An excess 'charge' results in illness and disease, according to TCM.

The easy way to remember which is dark or light is to think about the chinese word for the "Sun"; Tai Yang... The sun gives light...

The ancient representation of Yang was the sunny side of a mountain; of Yin the shadow side of the mountain:

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/images/principles/yinyang/pic_yingyan3.gif

Also, Yang is 'outwardness' (which light can touch); Yin is 'inwardness'.

So, why is it called Tai Ji Du? Long story... But it's of ancient origin based on the Ba Guo (eight trigrams) and cosmological as well. Tai Ji is like the kenetic energy emerging out of 'nothing' (Wu Ji) which separates into two parts; quess what their name is?

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

David, it would tie in as well that yang-chi is oxygen, wouldn't it?

Also yang is a sheep, right? Is a goat yin? :(

this seems to be a tricky question... so I'll take it.

Yang-Qi (not chi! haha) and Yin-Qi are the two energies. Yin Yang is eqivalent to Qi (chi).

It is moves as does the blood (stored in the liver and pumped by the heart).

Yet it can take in from the outside and purge to the outside (as oxygen does to the lungs).

But oxygen is short lived and needs exchange; blood is long lived and is recycled. Qi does a little of both... but it is more of a "charge". There are Tai Ji and Qi Gong postures which will reveal the 'charge', which neither oxygen nor blood can produce. This is the best evidence for Qi.

As to yang as sheep; I cannot disagree... I'll accept goats as yin... yin is mother earth and female and all things internally precious. Is that what you intended to imply? :o

This energy is Chi it is stored in the Dan-tien a spot just below the belly button. circulates downward and around, up the back (spine) to the shoulders, where it can be released from the extremities. In Taiji the Dan-tien is talked of quite often.

Of Yin/Yang, which one is the more powerful?

Edited by HKG (see edit history)
Guest jin979

This energy is Chi it is stored in the Dan-tien a spot just below the belly button. circulates downward and around, up the back (spine) to the shoulders, where it can be released from the extremities. In Taiji the Dan-tien is talked of quite often.

Of Yin/Yang, which one is the more powerful?

guess ? :threeques:

neither

be sure to keep belly covered when sleeping

I've not thougth of it in terms of which is stronger; I'm not sure either is 'stronger'; I prefer the analogy of a battery circuit the + and - need the circuit completed through something which absorbs/uses the energy (light bulb). If you connect the + to the -, the battery explodes.

background for others here and some examples:

Chinese classify everything according to Yin and Yang.

Yang = Male, sun, forward, happy, strong

Yin = Female, earth, backward, sad, weak

In traditional chinese medicine, this classification extends to our internal organs, food, seasons, etc and all impact the human body in terms of health.

While even Qi can be described as Yin or Yang, it technically does not mean that there are two kinds of Qi nor does it mean that the Qi has Yin or Yang. It really refers to the idea that the Qi is strong or weak.

To breath require an inhale (Yin) and exhale (Yang); you cannot have one or the other alone. The body (lungs) seek balance. If you are excited (Yang) your breath/exhale more, to expel the excess Qi (Yang)and get back to balance. If you are sad (Yin), your breath/inhale more, to absorb more Qi (Yang) and bring the deficiency Qi (Yin) back to balance.

As mentioned, in TaiJi or Qigong, Qi is stored/collected/housed/fired in the [false] Dan Tien, below the navel. Anyone interested in the deeper theory of this can go here to read where the [real] dan tien is located more interior to the navel. I have many of this authors books.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=571

In Taiji and Qigong, the mind (Yi) leads Qi in some prescribed paths, based on breathing patterns and postures. Because there are 12 meridians and 8 vessels, there are many pathways that could be discussed. I'll only mention that the vessels are like reservoirs; if the reservoirs (vessels) are full, the rivers (meridians) are easily supplied.

The "small circulation" was previously mentioned, but the entire circuit is two fold:

1. Governing Vessel which controls all Yang Meridians: From "Sea Bottom" (near your bottom!) to tailbone, up spine, over the head, down nose and down into the upper lip;

2. Conception Vessel which controls the Yin Meridians: From the lower lip down the front center, back to the sea bottom.

Because these two main vessels do not completely connect, Daoist taught to place the tongue softly against the underneath of the mouth. This will connect the two major vessels and the complete the small circulation.

The grand circulation is when you can move Qi through all meridians.

Acupuncture simply uses needles to stimulate and direct Qi flow. Massage can do this as well... or as we've discussed, so can the mind.

Don't worry.. Qi is always flowing... you just don't know it or feel it. With practice, your body will suddenly 'feel' the Qi even during times of rest.

Guest jin979

I've not thougth of it in terms of which is stronger; I'm not sure either is 'stronger'; I prefer the analogy of a battery circuit the + and - need the circuit completed through something which absorbs/uses the energy (light bulb). If you connect the + to the -, the battery explodes.

background for others here and some examples:

In traditional chinese medicine, this classification extends to our internal organs, food, seasons, etc and all impact the human body in terms of health.

While even Qi can be described as Yin or Yang, it technically does not mean that there are two kinds of Qi nor does it mean that the Qi has Yin or Yang. It really refers to the idea that the Qi is strong or weak.

To breath require an inhale (Yin) and exhale (Yang); you cannot have one or the other alone. The body (lungs) seek balance. If you are excited (Yang) your breath/exhale more, to expel the excess Qi (Yang)and get back to balance. If you are sad (Yin), your breath/inhale more, to absorb more Qi (Yang) and bring the deficiency Qi (Yin) back to balance.

As mentioned, in TaiJi or Qigong, Qi is stored/collected/housed/fired in the [false] Dan Tien, below the navel. Anyone interested in the deeper theory of this can go here to read where the [real] dan tien is located more interior to the navel. I have many of this authors books.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=571

In Taiji and Qigong, the mind (Yi) leads Qi in some prescribed paths, based on breathing patterns and postures. Because there are 12 meridians and 8 vessels, there are many pathways that could be discussed. I'll only mention that the vessels are like reservoirs; if the reservoirs (vessels) are full, the rivers (meridians) are easily supplied.

The "small circulation" was previously mentioned, but the entire circuit is two fold:

1. Governing Vessel which controls all Yang Meridians: From "Sea Bottom" (near your bottom!) to tailbone, up spine, over the head, down nose and down into the upper lip;

2. Conception Vessel which controls the Yin Meridians: From the lower lip down the front center, back to the sea bottom.

Because these two main vessels do not completely connect, Daoist taught to place the tongue softly against the underneath of the mouth. This will connect the two major vessels and the complete the small circulation.

The grand circulation is when you can move Qi through all meridians.

Acupuncture simply uses needles to stimulate and direct Qi flow. Massage can do this as well... or as we've discussed, so can the mind.

Don't worry.. Qi is always flowing... you just don't know it or feel it. With practice, your body will suddenly 'feel' the Qi even during times of rest.

David. can you rethink this in experience ?

or explain what you mean by backward sad weak and strong happy forward i think many here will think these with western influance and not understand it .

\es of rest.

The Dan-tien is the store house of chi without a doubt. Yin with its darkness and cold would eventually overwhelm Yang. Yang being light, light as we know it is a product of the sun. Suns burn out, Yin triumphs with its eternal darkness and cold..

Guest jin979

\es of rest.

The Dan-tien is the store house of chi without a doubt. Yin with its darkness and cold would eventually overwhelm Yang. Yang being light, light as we know it is a product of the sun. Suns burn out, Yin triumphs with its eternal darkness and cold..

so take it beyond child talking what does it mean for life ?

The most base theory is that there is no Yang without Yin, nor Yin without Yang. They are dependent opposites, not competitors.

The day reflects a relative state, as does night. There is no sense of which one is better, they are both part of the same cycle. Stop the cycle and there is no more relative state of return. Day and night are meaningless if there is no cycle [of change].

if we were to talk about one of the opposites "disappearing", we really need to think in terms of no more relative change occurring, and apply the Daoist's fundamental concept of 'reversal'. The ultimate and complete disappearance of one of the two is a disappearance of both; or better, a return to a fomer state where no duality exists.

For those who don't know;

There is an original state of empty expanse/void called Wu Ji, prior to any differentiation. (sometimes associated with Dao).

The next state is Tai Ji. When Tai Ji moves it creates Yang.

When movement reaches its extreme, stillness emerges. In stillness Yin is born. When stillness reaches its extreme there is a return to movement. This cycle ultimately produces/generates all living things.

Is Yang superior since it is the 'first born'? The question is nonsense since this is simply a cycle. Completely stop the cycle and you stop differeniation.

If movement (Yang) stops and only stillness (Yin) occurs, and no more 'return' [to Yang] can occur (to restore balance)... then Yin is not superior at all. Yin is getting more and more excessive and Yang more and more deficient. The cycle is 'out of balance' and finallly out of control. It can no longer perform it's most fundamental function of dependent opposites returning to each other.

The moral of the story is that everything should seek balance and harmony.