easy green card interview

I got my green card yesterday and my interview was on the same day. My hubby and I prepared lots of evidence to prove the relationship. But the officer didn't ask for any. The whole process was so easy.

(enter the office)

Officer: "take a seat"

Me: (point at the seat) "here?"

Officer: "you can sit anywhere you want except my seat" (laughing); Can I see your IDs".

my husband and I both took out the IDs. I took out all the stuff I've got since I arrived in the US including VT ID, SSN, work card and my passport.

My husband: "honey, you only need your passport."

Officer: "you know what, I do need your work card! But don't worry, I will give you something more valuable."

(I kinda of knowing what she means by saying something more valuable)

Then she started to prepare me a sealed card that is as good as green card which has my info on it:"This is the easiest case I've had today"

The rest of the conversation was so pleasant which has nothing to do with the proof the relationship.

We were so happy.

Then she started to prepare me a sealed card that is as good as green card which has my info on it

That's something new to me. I haven't heard of that before. I only remember the I-551 stamp they put in your passport at the AOS interview. Is this something new the CIS is doing now? What is it called? Thanks.

And Congratulations! :ph34r:

She didn't put anything in my passport. I am not sure what I-551 is. Maybe what I have now is I-551.

She just told us with what I have now, I can travel freely and work legally. The card I have got is as good as green card. It is a temporary greencard until I receive the actual card. The border will recognize that when I travel outside of the country.

I am not sure what's going on exactly. It doesn't sound like what my friends told me before. What's worthy mentioning is that the officer told us the office of the production of green card is under construction in Yakima which means that we may not get the actual green card in half a year but again she emphasized that with what I have in my hand, I can do whatever a green card holder can do.

My interview was conducted in Yakima, WA and the officer told me that the green card will be actually green. But many friends told me that the green card is alike work card. Apparently there are some changes in Yakima USCIS, not sure it is just this office or all the rest ones.

Congrats on your smooth interview. Also, thanks for your PM, I will take your advice.

Same as samsong above, do you mind to tell us more about what is that seal card your got? Is it a temp until you get your green card in the mail? What does it call?

Alright, I guess it is I-551. The card is like this: on the left of the card has my picture I submitted when we applied for the AOS; on the right, it goes: Upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year.

Issue date:

officer: (name)

employment authorized valid until: (a date)

below is my information. The top info is sealed with USCIS stamp.

I am not sure whether is normal or not. I got it the same day I had the interview.

Is I-551 green card? If not, what is it? Anyone has the same experience? What is card called? Why is as good as green card? I haven't thought of these questions until you guys brought this up.

She didn't put anything in my passport. I am not sure what I-551 is. Maybe what I have now is I-551.

She just told us with what I have now, I can travel freely and work legally. The card I have got is as good as green card. It is a temporary greencard until I receive the actual card. The border will recognize that when I travel outside of the country.

I am not sure what's going on exactly. It doesn't sound like what my friends told me before. What's worthy mentioning is that the officer told us the office of the production of green card is under construction in Yakima which means that we may not get the actual green card in half a year but again she emphasized that with what I have in my hand, I can do whatever a green card holder can do.

My interview was conducted in Yakima, WA and the officer told me that the green card will be actually green. But many friends told me that the green card is alike work card. Apparently there are some changes in Yakima USCIS, not sure it is just this office or all the rest ones.

Congrats on your smooth interview. Also, thanks for your PM, I will take your advice.

Same as samsong above, do you mind to tell us more about what is that seal card your got? Is it a temp until you get your green card in the mail? What does it call?

Alright, I guess it is I-551. The card is like this: on the left of the card has my picture I submitted when we applied for the AOS; on the right, it goes: Upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year.

Issue date:

officer: (name)

employment authorized valid until: (a date)

below is my information. The top info is sealed with USCIS stamp.

I am not sure whether is normal or not. I got it the same day I had the interview.

Is I-551 green card? If not, what is it? Anyone has the same experience? What is card called? Why is as good as green card? I haven't thought of these questions until you guys brought this up.

The I-551 is the Alien Registration Card aka Greencard but the IO's used to use a rubber stamp w/ red ink and stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 good for one year or until you receive your 2 yr./10 yr. card in the mail.

Your post is the first time I've heard of a temporary card given out. Learn something new every day!...thanks!

Guest shutterbug

is it normal to give out the I-551 the same day of the interview? Does that mean the actual card will not arrive for a long time? I am interested to know these.

It's normal. The card should be in the mail in a couple of weeks.

Actually this makes more sense than the stamp if USCIS is serious about enforcing the following: "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him...Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and may be subject to fine and/or imprisonment upon each conviction." In other words, an LPR must be able to prove his non-citizen status at all times, but once he becomes naturalized he does not need to carry evidence of his US citizenship at any time except when applying for jobs or returning from trips abroad. At least a temporary card fits in a wallet, while a passport does not.

Congratulations on reaching this important step !!! :coolthumb:

Sounds like your file/circumstances 'looked' real good to them !!

Best wishes !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if this is related: Permanent Resident Card Production Delays

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

USCIS is announcing that applicants may experience up to an eight week delay in the delivery of their permanent resident card while we are in the process of upgrading our card production equipment. USCIS Field Offices will be issuing temporary evidence of permanent residence in the form of an I-551 stamp to applicants approved for permanent residence at the time of their interview. You will need to take your passport to your appointment. If you do not have a passport, you must bring a passport style photo and government issued photo identification to receive temporary evidence of permanent residence.

If the application is approved subsequent to your interview or by a Service Center or the National Benefit Center, the applicant should bring the above documents to an INFOPASS appointment to be issued temporary evidence of permanent residence in the form of an I-551 stamp.

Last updated:05/29/2009

But its an interesting alert anyway...