I was wondering what I need to make sure is on the Bank Letter???

Obvious is Name, Date, Balances, ???

What else do you recommend be on it ???

I searched for this subject but every time I do a search I never find anything close to the subject words... I have done searches on other forums and had no problems. :Dah:

Thanks, Mark

bank statements are almost NEVER asked for.... ergo, I left it off the last FAQ.

In the far ago past, there used to be alot of discussion about this and it got more complicated a members tried to state what is needed; this is usually an indication that the item is not needed since there is not enough requests from GUZ to show what they truly want!

In the end, most settled on a summary of monthly balance and proof of pay deposits. But this was often very difficult to get out of the bank! So, in the very end, one should just have their regular statements.

IMO, in order, this is what your financial folder should contain:

1. I-134 - most asked for and should have supporting documents.

2. Taxes - Last 3 years is best practice

3. Employer letter - this affirms you are full time employed; if self-employed, ignore.

4. Bank statements - shows [direct] deposits of pay and balance.

5. Pay stubs - shows your current pay

The first three are only needed for the visa process.

For the AOS interview, if one should occur, I do recommend either #4 or #5 as well.

As for dating, the closer to the interview the better. If crossing a tax period, get the lastest.

Just to let everyone know how the Consulates work differently, in HK they wanted a bank statement of total deposits for 2008, and then didn't even look at any paperwork. Now, Guz/NVC would like 3 years of tax transcripts. Nothing is universal anywhere at any Consulate. Go figure that one.

Guest shutterbug

I was wondering what I need to make sure is on the Bank Letter???

Obvious is Name, Date, Balances, ???

What else do you recommend be on it ???

I searched for this subject but every time I do a search I never find anything close to the subject words... I have done searches on other forums and had no problems. :alldone:

Thanks, Mark

Years ago I-134 required notarized signatures, and its instructions listed a statement from the bank showing deposits over the previous 12 months among supporting documents. I visited my bank and discussed the matter with them. My signature was notarized free of charge, and I was told if I had my monthly statements for the previous twelve months they could add up the numbers and produce a letter on bank letterhead for me on the spot; I knew I had most of them at home, if not all of them, but I wasn't in such a hurry and told them I wouldn't mind waiting a few days. A week or so later I received a letter stating when the accounts were opened, current balanace, and total deposit over the previous 12 months. Back then I-134 was reqired even for visitor visa applications, but I doubt my paperwork made any difference in the end since the applicants could afford the entire trip on their own.

Bank statements then to be used to show assets (Money in Savings)

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline, then you do not need to use assets (Bank Statements)

The directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134.
  • SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1
  • Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)
  • Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.
  • Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

I was "downsized" from a large corporation and now all of my work is "pro bono"...I have no employer, etc. But my income is above the poverty line and has been for the past several years.

Will copies of my IRS returns for the past 3 years suffice?

ZZ

I was "downsized" from a large corporation and now all of my work is "pro bono"...I have no employer, etc. But my income is above the poverty line and has been for the past several years.

Will copies of my IRS returns for the past 3 years suffice?

ZZ

IRS returns, and in your case Bank statements from past few months showing deposits.