Flu News Coverage in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's interesting when the shoe is on the other foot. For the longest time, the US has pranced around with its nose held high, with the attitude that they are the healers, fixers, and doers of better things, in better ways.

Now that the world news is reporting that the US is the most likely place to catch the swine flu, China has developed a strong response to prevent cases from infecting its citizens. Will it work? Probably for a while, but it may be an impossible task.

Over the past few days, China is reporting in the news how America is no longer reporting the number of people that are infected by the flu. Also, they are actively talking about how the US is trying to turn the table on the issue by suggesting that China is overreacting to the pandemic.

This could get a lot uglier as time passes.....

Guest ShaQuaNew

Then again, everyone may just wait and see if it resurfaces in a few months.

That's what the CDC is suggesting; that the flu will in fact reemerge into an even stronger strain in 4-6 months.

It's interesting when the shoe is on the other foot. For the longest time, the US has pranced around with its nose held high, with the attitude that they are the healers, fixers, and doers of better things, in better ways.

Now that the world news is reporting that the US is the most likely place to catch the swine flu, China has developed a strong response to prevent cases from infecting its citizens. Will it work? Probably for a while, but it may be an impossible task.

Over the past few days, China is reporting in the news how America is no longer reporting the number of people that are infected by the flu. Also, they are actively talking about how the US is trying to turn the table on the issue by suggesting that China is overreacting to the pandemic.

This could get a lot uglier as time passes.....

Probably will get uglier.

There are already forced quarantines.

The Beijing Public Security Bureau has already stopped all tourist (L) and business (F) renewals attempted in Beijing. This, however, is also probably more to due with the upcoming ultra-sensitive National Day celebrations, but nobody can be sure at this moment.

The first claim in patently false. I watch the news every day and I see the numbers updated on one source or another on a daily basis.

I'd like to know how they define "US" when they make the accusation that the US is suggesting that China is overreacting. Just because a few bloggers or pundits suggest it hardly constitutes a whole country.

Seems like just more of the typical propaganda the CCP-controlled media passes off as information.

Then again, everyone may just wait and see if it resurfaces in a few months.

That's what the CDC is suggesting; that the flu will in fact reemerge into an even stronger strain in 4-6 months.

This was about the strongest thing I could find on their web site

H1N1 appears to be more contagious than seasonal influenza. The secondary attack rate of seasonal influenza ranges from 5% to 15%. Current estimates of the secondary attack rate of H1N1 range from 22% to 33%.

With the exception of the outbreak in Mexico, which is still not fully understood, the H1N1 virus tends to cause very mild illness in otherwise healthy people. Outside Mexico, nearly all cases of illness, and all deaths, have been detected in people with underlying chronic conditions.

Are you sure you're not over-reacting to something you read in the media?

'scuse me WHO's web site - this was linked to from the CDC's

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/as...1/en/index.html

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The first claim in patently false. I watch the news every day and I see the numbers updated on one source or another on a daily basis.

I'd like to know how they define "US" when they make the accusation that the US is suggesting that China is overreacting. Just because a few bloggers or pundits suggest it hardly constitutes a whole country.

Seems like just more of the typical propaganda the CCP-controlled media passes off as information.

This is probably related to the CDC no longer performing blood tests on every suspected H1N1 A case and having doctors advise people to stay home if they display symptoms and prescribe flu medication.

The test kits have been shipped to state labs; CDC don't do all of them anymore.

Given the symptoms and treatment I would imagine many doctors are treating their patients. Whether they report the cases or not is up to them.

I believe this may be what is concerning some.

IMO the reaction is one that's justified politically, but probably not justified medically. To put it simply, no government worth its salt can afford the appearance of not making an effort to contain the spread of H1N1. Though practically speaking, the social consequences of inaction may be more severe than the medical consequences.

The reason I think most of the reactions(and not just China's) qualify as "over-reactions" from a medical perspective has a lot to do with the hard data: The severity of this flu virus seems to be at best, similar to your garden-variety seasonal flu. But like I said, people need to feel like their leaders are working to protect them, and thus leaders need to act - not because this is an exceptionally dangerous virus, but simply because inaction would not sit well with citizens, and would set a dangerous precedent.

I agree in the overreaction department. 36,000 people die from flu every year. This one occurred "out of season" whoopitie-doo. The fact it has multiple swine strains is little more than biological curiosity, doesn't mean anything as far as virulence. It's a mild flu. But people LOVE to worry about the end of days. And of course, I fully expect China to drum it up as a way to say "see, it happens to you too!"... but that was never the issue with SARS or Bird Flu. Just like the Egypt killing pigs thing... panic responses by the uneducated. Can't change it, might as well enjoy the show.