The last 4 days have been a whirlwind.

I forget what we did Wednesday, but Thursday we went to see the Pandas, had dinner and went for massage afterwards.

The highlight of the trip was going to Mt. Emei which should be on everyone's must-see list. We took a bus to Leshan, then switched to a bus that took us to a town close to Wan-nian temple, where I got camera happy on the architectural detail, urns and sculptures (pics when I get them all sorted out).

Then we got on another smaller bus that took an hour and a half to grind 36 kilometers uphill to Long Quian where the cableway is. This bus had a huge turbo diesel engine that that was screaming in granny gears most of the way up a slope that is probably tougher than anything the Tour de France has dished out since the 60's.

We got there after the cableway had shut down for the day, so we had to walk up to the top of Mt. Emei, about 7.5 kilometers up the mountain on a walkway paved with slate in really bad shape and irregular sized steps. Between the thin air and being a complete lardass, it was the most brutally tough thing I have done since about 1995. We rented a coat for me which I did not need as I was sweating like a pig in about 10 minutes. Anyway, but the time we got to the top it was 8:30, and getting really dark and I was having a hard time walking in a straight line. We had to poke around here and there until we found out where to check in, and then we had to rush to the restaurant before it closed, where we we had to put up with attitude and lousy food. Ni ordered something spicy for herself and was mighty displeased because it did not have that radioactive look.

I can't really recommend the hotel at the top of the mountain. The beds are rock hard, the sheets were slightly discolored, the employees had a terrible attitude, we had to run the heater on high all night (all concrete construction is colder than a witches such-and-such). Plus Ni did not get a good nights sleep because I was snoring, plus she got pretty bent out of shape because I forgot to flush (twice! ouch!). On the plus side, breakfast was free and the hot water was endless, and the shower had a massage setting, which I really needed.

After getting up early, walking around the temple at the top of Mt. Emei, we ate breakfast and lollygagged in the room for an hour, then went down to the cableway station, which turned a 2 hour death march into 5 minutes of standing around looking out the windows.

Getting back to Leshan, we had our first decent meal in 24 hours, spent about an hour poking around a temple, and then got on the bus back to Chengdu.

I filled 2 SD cards with pictures I need to sort out, but for now I am taking a shower and going to bed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the Starbucks. That felt like an accomplishment.

Next job is to get Ni to drill me on essential Chinese phrases, like: I need to use the toilet, right now! Damn near got caught out about a mile from the hotel this morning after breakfast.

Also, I keep losing stuff. Need to get another tourist map, and to replace the electronic dictionary I lost (stat).

There's much to like about Chengdu. The town reminds me of Buenos Aires in many ways, but mostly with all the trees, small sized cars and how people turn their balconies into gardens. Also all the skinny hotties walking around, not the least of whom't like is Ni. I'll upload a picture as soon as I figure out how to make the gallery work (figuring it doesn't like 2.5+ MB images)

toilets are easy to find, just follow your nose :unsure:

This was the main reason I took care of #2 before leaving the hotel. #1 is ok out, #2.... no way

Very nice posts. I appreciate your detail. When will you return?

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

Found the Starbucks. That felt like an accomplishment.

Next job is to get Ni to drill me on essential Chinese phrases, like: I need to use the toilet, right now! Damn near got caught out about a mile from the hotel this morning after breakfast.

Also, I keep losing stuff. Need to get another tourist map, and to replace the electronic dictionary I lost (stat).

There's much to like about Chengdu. The town reminds me of Buenos Aires in many ways, but mostly with all the trees, small sized cars and how people turn their balconies into gardens. Also all the skinny hotties walking around, not the least of whom't like is Ni. I'll upload a picture as soon as I figure out how to make the gallery work (figuring it doesn't like 2.5+ MB images)

toilets are easy to find, just follow your nose :unsure:

This was the main reason I took care of #2 before leaving the hotel. #1 is ok out, #2.... no way

Very nice posts. I appreciate your detail. When will you return?

Actually I am back. I don't think it will work out with this girl, although I think she is very nice and would make someone a suitable wife. I think it's more a case of me not being suitable for her, and she has a lot to lose by moving to the US.