• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep were officially 100% hitched now :yahoo:

Mom and Lee said it's legal for her to beat me now :vava: :yahoo:

You mean its not legal before you get married? I have to have a talk with Jie :Dah:

Let me ask a question or two about marrying as soon as possible. I will probably go the same route. Apparently, she doesn't need a social security number to get married in my state. So, is it best to wait until after marriage to get the social security number? She has to have it for a driver's license. Can there be a name change, or does she need to keep her current name until her status is adjusted?

There is a specific rout you need to follow, Lee has the skinny on that.

You need to wait 10 working days after she gets here to get her a SSN.

Yep were officially 100% hitched now :D

Mom and Lee said it's legal for her to beat me now :threeques: :ph34r:

You mean its not legal before you get married? I have to have a talk with Jie :unsure:

Let me ask a question or two about marrying as soon as possible. I will probably go the same route. Apparently, she doesn't need a social security number to get married in my state. So, is it best to wait until after marriage to get the social security number? She has to have it for a driver's license. Can there be a name change, or does she need to keep her current name until her status is adjusted?

My personal view is that it is easier to get the SSN in the same name as the passport and get it changed once the USCIS puts their stamp of approval on the name change. In fact, according to the SSN POM's it is not legal for an immigrant to get their SSN in any name other than the one that the USCIS has in their system.

Some have been able to get their SSN in their married name before the USCIS has it in their system, but in many cases it's a major battle and I have heard of more issues raised by the SSA when attempting to do this, such as hearing "she's married now so the visa is not valid and no you can't have an SSN" to "you must wait for a green card to get an SSN". In most cases this makes it really hard on you and your spouse, so take the easy route. It's only a piece of paper, but it's an important one that helps to get added to a checking account, state ID or drivers license.

One thing that is helpful in so many ways is to get a simple postcard and mail it to your fiancee in their passport name at your home address. Take it to your local post office and mail it, should arrive the next day. Also check to be sure your post office doesn't require their name to be listed for delivery to your address, if so, list both the passport name and married name. This provides evidence that can be used to prove residence as validated by the USPS. B)

The important thing to do when going for an SSN for a K-1 is to print out a couple of their

Print the Social Security Application Form

Also print this to take with you, it solves many problems when you get the uniformed SSA employee: RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

When visiting the SSA take: passport, notary birth record (original and photo copy) and the post card.

Your passport provides: Legal Name and immigration status (visa and I-94).

The notary birth record provides proof of age, they only get the copy but can compare the original with the copy if they like. First give them the copy and if they ask for an original inform them they can validate the copy or make a copy, but the original is to be returned as it cost $2000 to get another one (price of a round trip to China).

The really long form you printed is your proof the a K-1 is work authorized, I suggest highlighting the proper area in Section C,1 Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization. Use this only if they push back on issuing the SSN. If they still refuse calmly ask for a supervisor and show them the POM and ask them to comply with SSA procedures.

Most importantly don't get mad, angry or cause a scene as they can throw you out with a possible ban on entry to that office.

Sometimes the K-1 is not listed in the SAVE system, if that is the case stop there and come back 3-5 days later and try again. You don't really want to wait for a manual check as they sometimes get lost. If they are not in the SAVE system within 20 days of entry you need to do the manual check, but get the name of a supervisor to check on the status of the inquiry and call them about a week later. The big thing is not to let it sit because at 70 days after admission they will be able to refuse you and there is nothing you can do until you get EAD or the green card.

Once they approve the SSN the card should arrive in about 10 days.

Once it arrives, I suggest getting a State ID with their US address on it. It too is only a piece of paper, but it can open many doors in getting settled.

With both of these getting on a checking account in their married name is pretty easy. Take your marriage license with you and most bankers will add them to the account in their married name without any question.

You mean its not legal before you get married? I have to have a talk with Jie :unsure:

My personal view is that it is easier to get the SSN in the same name as the passport and get it changed once the USCIS puts their stamp of approval on the name change. In fact, according to the SSN POM's it is not legal for an immigrant to get their SSN in any name other than the one that the USCIS has in their system.

Some have been able to get their SSN in their married name before the USCIS has it in their system, but in many cases it's a major battle and I have heard of more issues raised by the SSA when attempting to do this, such as hearing "she's married now so the visa is not valid and no you can't have an SSN" to "you must wait for a green card to get an SSN". In most cases this makes it really hard on you and your spouse, so take the easy route. It's only a piece of paper, but it's an important one that helps to get added to a checking account, state ID or drivers license.

One thing that is helpful in so many ways is to get a simple postcard and mail it to your fiancee in their passport name at your home address. Take it to your local post office and mail it, should arrive the next day. Also check to be sure your post office doesn't require their name to be listed for delivery to your address, if so, list both the passport name and married name. This provides evidence that can be used to prove residence as validated by the USPS. B)

The important thing to do when going for an SSN for a K-1 is to print out a couple of their

Print the Social Security Application Form

Also print this to take with you, it solves many problems when you get the uniformed SSA employee: RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

When visiting the SSA take: passport, notary birth record (original and photo copy) and the post card.

Your passport provides: Legal Name and immigration status (visa and I-94).

The notary birth record provides proof of age, they only get the copy but can compare the original with the copy if they like. First give them the copy and if they ask for an original inform them they can validate the copy or make a copy, but the original is to be returned as it cost $2000 to get another one (price of a round trip to China).

The really long form you printed is your proof the a K-1 is work authorized, I suggest highlighting the proper area in Section C,1 Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization. Use this only if they push back on issuing the SSN. If they still refuse calmly ask for a supervisor and show them the POM and ask them to comply with SSA procedures.

Most importantly don't get mad, angry or cause a scene as they can throw you out with a possible ban on entry to that office.

Sometimes the K-1 is not listed in the SAVE system, if that is the case stop there and come back 3-5 days later and try again. You don't really want to wait for a manual check as they sometimes get lost. If they are not in the SAVE system within 20 days of entry you need to do the manual check, but get the name of a supervisor to check on the status of the inquiry and call them about a week later. The big thing is not to let it sit because at 70 days after admission they will be able to refuse you and there is nothing you can do until you get EAD or the green card.

Once they approve the SSN the card should arrive in about 10 days.

Once it arrives, I suggest getting a State ID with their US address on it. It too is only a piece of paper, but it can open many doors in getting settled.

With both of these getting on a checking account in their married name is pretty easy. Take your marriage license with you and most bankers will add them to the account in their married name without any question.

Thanks, Lee! That's going to be a great help.

Guest Pommey

Yep were officially 100% hitched now B)

she can keep her same name forever

Mom and Lee said it's legal for her to beat me now :yahoo: :ph34r:

You mean its not legal before you get married? I have to have a talk with Jie :yahoo:

she can keep her same name forever

In reality she will retain her Chinese name in China, but US law allows her to change her family name when married if she wishes. This is one reason it is possible to have a name amendment placed in her Chinese passport for a small fee to maintain a link between the passport and green card.