Our turn tomorrow, I hope he passes..

Well, we're finally at the end of it, Qisheng's appointment is May 7 at 9:00 AM. We've been going through the 100 questions many times and he knows them all. Tonight before going to bed he mentioned he was beginning to feel nervous. I hope he does well, I will be there waiting for him to come out and give me the good news. Will let you know.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Well, we're finally at the end of it, Qisheng's appointment is May 7 at 9:00 AM. We've been going through the 100 questions many times and he knows them all. Tonight before going to bed he mentioned he was beginning to feel nervous. I hope he does well, I will be there waiting for him to come out and give me the good news. Will let you know.

Good Luck

Tell him not to worry Mari. It really is very easy. Good luck.

Let me add my own assurances as to how easy it is. As long as he can hold a decent conversation in English, has a good working knowledge of the answers and read and write simple sentences he will pass. Ying had zero trouble.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Thanks guys, Qisheng passed! The appointment was at 9:00AM, we were there at 8:30, there were less than 20 people waiting for interview. Some people got there after us and were called before us, so we figured that each officer must have specific people assigned to them. Around 11:30AM I decided to go to my work so I grabbed a taxi and asked him to call me as soon as he finished. The call finally got in at 1:30PM. He said he was so hungry he could not remember the questions asked. One thing that surprised me was that the officer questioned him about me not being there. He explained that I was there during all morning but it took so long that I had to go back to the office. As I recall there's no place in the appointment notice which required that I accompany him. In fact, I'm almost sure that he had seen me because I noticed each time they opened the door and called somebody, they took a good look to everyone sitting in the room. And here's a good one: the night before I insisted my hubby that we should go through the N-400 application so I asked all questions to him. The officer also asked everything, and I mean everything, all pages of it, then when the time came to say what our address was, he said: "Apt 1402, I think".... You think??? That means you are not sure where you live at? Then Qisheng said that he was a little anxious so that's why he said that. The thing is, that Qisheng has never cared about what apartment number we got! Especially because when we receive our mail we write down a box number. At the end, he asked for our 2008 income tax return, which I had included in the folder, and any other documentation applicable, and told him he will receive a notice for the ceremony which would take at the most 4 months to arrive. I got two questions: 1- does it really takes that long? and 2-do they get the passport automatically on the day of the ceremony or do they have to pass through the same process as any other citizen applying for a passport for the first time? Again, thanks to all for your support.

1. yes

2. he can APPLY the same day, but he will wait some more. NOTHING is AUTOMATIC. He will be doing the exact same process as all other USCs who apply for a new passport. It could take 2 weeks (on rush service ) to 2 months.

My wife got her ceremony letter two weeks after the interview appointment. The ceremony was held a month after the interview.

The naturalization certificate will need to be mailed along with the passport application for proof of citizenship. Copies should be made first. That's what was said at the ceremony. DOS wil mail the certificate back. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get the passport without using the $60 expiditing feature.

Edited by samsong (see edit history)

Here in Portland the oath ceremony is the same or next day as the interview depending on whether your interview appointment is morning or afernoon. We applied for her passport the next day and Bing received her new US passport about 2 weeks later.