I hit a deer on my way home from work last night

Yea, i was a bit lucky. But i see deer everyday so i have my deer radar always on, I just couldnt avoid this one. It is my 1st time hitting a deer, which is somewhat unbelievable considering i see them every night coming home from work. The sucker went for my lights, and luckily i only caught his back end, but still probably did about $2000 in damage to my truck!

Patrick

I don't remember ever seeing roadkill in China!

Do you recall seeing any wild animals at all in China? In all the places I have been though on foot, by car, by bus; I recall seeing only one animal not under human control. A single grey rat in the city where my wife was grabbed. No flocks of birds, or bird droppings. No stray cats. No dogs barking as I walked through residential areas (but a vendor selling roast dog on the promenade).

Even out in the boonies (of GuangDong) while driving along we saw not a single animal without a human nearby.

My TT is afraid of animals; perhaps because she was never exposed to them as a child.

Tennesse and Alabama are littered with road kill. Mostly possums, cats, dogs, and skunks...especially skunks. :D

Lots of deer around where we live. We have to be careful at night for sure. Friend of ours hit a deer not too long ago and messed up her car really bad. Messed up the deer too. :)

Glad you were not injured in the accident.

Tennesse and Alabama are littered with road kill. Mostly possums, cats, dogs, and skunks...especially skunks.  :D

Lots of deer around where we live. We have to be careful at night for sure. Friend of ours hit a deer not too long ago and messed up her car really bad. Messed up the deer too. :)

Hummmmmm.....

Skunks in hot pots. New flavors to enjoy in Sichuan?

Tennesse and Alabama are littered with road kill. Mostly possums, cats, dogs, and skunks...especially skunks.  :D

Lots of deer around where we live. We have to be careful at night for sure. Friend of ours hit a deer not too long ago and messed up her car really bad. Messed up the deer too. ;)

Hummmmmm.....

Skunks in hot pots. New flavors to enjoy in Sichuan?

Yummy...skunk hot pot, complete with that bitter vegetable the Chinese are so fond of. ;)

I am glad you are okay. Deer can cause heavy damage.  Over here, we have to worry about moose.

Cars are just not built strong enough for encounters with deer, but, look out, a bull moose can wreck even a tractor trailer. Driving is unsafe enough with having to watch out for the other drivers but the road hazards make it even worse. And what a waste of life it is when stray dogs or whatever on the road cause accidents when people are killed. If there is NO ONE near you okay you can swerve but you have to be prepared to run over the poor little creatures that are unlucky enough to be on the road creating unsafe conditions. I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Now if it is a box turtle I will make special efforts to help it get to the other side of the road. One time I had a cat that literally did a perfect kamikaze right under my left front tire on the big rig, all the while I was honking my horn and blinking my lights.

It occurred to me that i see roadkill everyday on my way to and from work. I don't remember ever seeing roadkill in China!

Patrick

After seeing some of the things to eat in China I think all the wild life are in hiding.

As for dear I hit 2 in one shot(crash) about 10 years ago cost around $2400 but was able to get a couple small steaks from it.

Now a personal issue I have with hunters is get down from your tree stands and hunt don't, sit there and ambush them from high in a tree that is not hunting.

donahso,

I have heard that the laws in Oregon treat keeping "Roadkill" essentially the same as poaching.

What you are supposed to do after hitting the dear is get out. Drag the bloody carcass into your car. Spend a half a day dressing it out, then donate the whole thing to charity.

:D

Many people just don't put the effort into the charity donation.

----- Clifford -----