IRS TAX STUFF

Hello All,

Finally got a notarizied copy of her passport notarized by a local notary now I know that the W7 would cover the IRS what happen to the CA tax board regarding a tax ID #? Thanks

Joe

I think it depends on the state. In the state of Alabama the ITIN is not recognized and I have to file as married; head of household and then ammend the taxes when she gets her SSN.

Hopefully CA allows you to file married filing jointly. Look up the CA tax website.

Hello All,

Finally got a notarizied copy of her passport notarized by a local notary now I know that the W7 would cover the IRS what happen to the CA tax board regarding a tax ID #? Thanks

Joe

The ITIN should work with your state taxes as well as it does with the federal taxes until a SSN is issued.

From the CA.gov website:

Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Enter your SSN in the spaces provided. To protect your privacy, your SSN is not printed on the tax booklet with your name and address. If filing a joint tax return, enter the SSNs in the same order as the names.

If you do not have an SSN because you are a nonresident or resident alien for federal tax purposes, and the IRS issued you an ITIN, enter the ITIN in the space for the SSN. An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the IRS to foreign nationals and others who have a federal tax filing requirement and do not qualify for an SSN. It is a nine‑digit number that always starts with the number 9.