reception of US citizens

This is May 8th at 2pm at the Guangzhou US embassy. Is anyone else going to this? What would be good questions to ask?

ShadeOGray Might be in town that day - his lass' inteview is on the 11th.

Here's some q's -

here's some things that we'd love to see at GUZ that deal specifically with blue slips and visa issuance:

1. many times our fiancees or spouses are hand carrying any documentation that could address a blue slip, at the interview window. We'd like to see the Visa Officer accept this evidence in real time, from her hand to the VO's hand, at the end of the interview, with a maximum of 3 days for further adjudication. The VOs do have the time to review this material in the afternoons.

2. Sometimes the visa cannot be issued within a 3 working day span because the name check is not complete, and the petition goes into AP (additional processing) mode. There is no notification to the beneficiary, in real time, about this. The VO already knows, at the interview, whether or not the petition is complete at the time of the interview - we'd like the VO to tell the beneficiary, at interview time, whether or not the Visa will actually be issued during this 3 day window, and whether or not the namecheck is complete, and whether or not the petition is complete - all before the beneficiary leaves the interview. We feel this could take as much as 30 seconds in additional time for each interview. Most beneficiaries have to stay in Guangzhou to wait for the VISA to arrive at that special China Post Office, and if they knew , on interview day, that the visa could not be issued within the normal time frame - then they could get on with the rest of

their planned living situations. Some of our members have had to stay in Guangzhou at a hotel for up to 3 weeks without any word of 'what's going on' - and in some cases, another notice was sent after a verbal approval at the interview, stating that the case needs more processing. Even this postal notice is unacceptable - as the VO knows , right then and there during the interview, whether or not the VISA will be issued during the 3 day window or no.

3. The 'change-of-address' problem at GUZ is troublesome - our members have emailed, faxed, called into the Shanghai Call Center, and sent postal mail notices about beneficiaries' change of address. 1/2 of the time, these changes are not applied, and a mailing label is generated with the address that was collected on the original G-325A form. We'd like to see something else occur at GUZ for 'same-day' change and storage of 'change-of-address' for beneficiaries.

Specifically for White Slips on the 'not a bonafide relationship' NOID issuance - The beneficiary is NEVER TOLD at the interview the exact reason for this white slip. We want that changed, so that any beneficiary is told, in real time, vocally and in writing, the exact details of the VO's reasoning behind the White Slip Issuance. Usually, the VOs will find some anomoly in the paperwork or in some timelines or timeticks, and then ask inane questions to the beneficiary, with the beneficiary totally unable to answer (getting flustered as well) - and the VO will have some incendiary reaction to the beneficiary, and not make any explanation.

If it seems tedious (my words) then I ask you print them out and read a bit.

Warmest Regards..

This is May 8th at 2pm at the Guangzhou US embassy. Is anyone else going to this? What would be good questions to ask?

I take it you are speaking of the American Citizen's Hour (ACH) ?

Most here, including myself, have taken this opportunity to introduce themselves to the Consulate representative, get entered into the data base as being present in GZ; then asking any questions that might be unique to your specific case, or issues that you might be concerned about regarding your case.

I had a question or two about my stepdaughter. Also, a general question or two, about the process.

This is also a good opportunity to get a 'feel' for the 4th floor coffee shop area and the 5th floor interview area where your fiancee will be at, later on.

Moreover, it is an opportunity to visit with others in your same situation. On my first visit to ACH, there were five CFL members present, as I recall. Get there a little early, as the line can get long, and then you may be delayed in filling out the question form at the first window you line up for, prior to waiting for your assigned number to be called.

This is my direct experience attending three ACH's at the Consulate in Guangzhou.

Best of luck.

May 8th is a Friday, where did you see the notice for this "reception"? Did it give any other info about the nature of this reception? I will ask about it at ACH on the 27th and post here for you. Please give me more info if you can, Mike & Yizhen

I guess this is not about an ACH?

The ACH's are on Mondays, as you state Mike:

General Information

American Citizen Hour

American citizens are not permitted to accompany NIV applicants (friends, relatives, employees, etc.) to their interview. Instead, if they have general non-immigrant visa questions, they are encouraged to speak to an officer during American citizen hour, which is held each Monday afternoon from 3:00 - 4:00 PM in the NIV waiting room. Please note that specific case information cannot be shared nor can a case be pre-adjudicated.

I looked through the entire USCONGUZ website, and there are no mentions of a 'Reception' on May 8th. The only thing I could find which is even close, is held on a Thursday. It is called a Weekly Forum:

American consulate ON-GOING ACTIVITIES

(All events are free of charge)

WEEKLY FORUM

Building Toward A Sustainable Future

(Apr 2 - Apr 30, every Thursday afternoon)

April 2 launches a new Weekly Forum series examining environmental and energy issues. We look forward to your joining us to learn more about the United States and to share your viewpoints.

Venue Public Affairs Section Office, 3rd Floor Garden Hotel (unless notified otherwise)

花园酒店三楼美国领事馆文化处多功能会议室 (另有通知除外)

Time Video Screening 2:30 to 3:30pm Lecture & Discussion 3:30 to 5:00pm

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

May 8th is a Friday, where did you see the notice for this "reception"? Did it give any other info about the nature of this reception? I will ask about it at ACH on the 27th and post here for you. Please give me more info if you can, Mike & Yizhen

General Information

American Citizen Hour

American citizens are not permitted to accompany NIV applicants (friends, relatives, employees, etc.) to their interview. Instead, if they have general non-immigrant visa questions, they are encouraged to speak to an officer during American citizen hour, which is held each Monday afternoon from 3:00 - 4:00 PM in the NIV waiting room. Please note that specific case information cannot be shared nor can a case be pre-adjudicated.

I looked through the entire USCONGUZ website, and there are no mentions of a 'Reception' on May 8th. The only thing I could find which is even close, is held on a Thursday. It is called a Weekly Forum:

WEEKLY FORUM

April 2 launches a new Weekly Forum series examining environmental and energy issues. We look forward to your joining us to learn more about the United States and to share your viewpoints.

Venue Public Affairs Section Office, 3rd Floor Garden Hotel (unless notified otherwise)

»¨Ô°¾ÆµêÈýÂ¥ÃÀ¹úÁìʹÝÎÄ»¯´¦¶à¹¦ÄÜ»áÒéÊÒ (ÁíÓÐ֪ͨ³ýÍâ)

Hey, first of all, thanks for that great detail of information. Yes, I got the wrong information from my fiance. It's actually Monday at 2:30pm-3:30pm

General Information

American Citizen Hour

WEEKLY FORUM

»¨Ô°¾ÆµêÈýÂ¥ÃÀ¹úÁìʹÝÎÄ»¯´¦¶à¹¦ÄÜ»áÒéÊÒ (ÁíÓÐ֪ͨ³ýÍâ)

Hey, first of all, thanks for that great detail of information. Yes, I got the wrong information from my fiance. It's actually Monday at 2:30pm-3:30pm

No I couldnt find any info, this was wrong info from my fiance. It's actually Mondays 2:30pm-3:30pm I am going on the 11th, my fiances interview is May 13th.

Hey Roger, I think I am losing it, isn't the IV ACH from 2:30 to 3:30? Please arrive between 2 and 2:15. I can't locate it at the GUZ website, but I have it written down from the 2007 interview. Did they change the time?Mike & Yizhen

Mike, I know they have changed the day of the week and the time of day for the ACH, a couple of times now, in the past three years.

I do recall, however, that when I last attended, the time had been changed to later in the afternoon, from the previous time I went there.

Here is the link and the currently posted info, from the USCONGUZ website:

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/citizen.html

To be safe and since you are in town, you might give them a call and double check what is on their webpage.

Mike, I found another link from a previous post of mine on this subject:

I would just call in your morning (Monday) and double check. :rolleyes:

Rog

Hello Roger, I just woke up, and I had to check the computer. I was posting about writing reviews of the interviews when your message popped up. Thanks for thinking of us. After reading, rereading, and then rereading again tonight, I still see Non Immigrant Visas in the notice from GUZ. In the pinned ACH & ACS section that notice is posted several times by several people, but I think it was Randy that said that the IV ACH was 2:30 to 3:30, arrive by 2pm, and the cutoff is 2:15. It has been posted in several places that it is 2:30 not 3:00, bur I am still not sure. I will go there tomorrow and ask, unless someone post a better answer. Thanks for thinking about us, Mike & Yizhen

Hello Roger, I just woke up, and I had to check the computer. I was posting about writing reviews of the interviews when your message popped up. Thanks for thinking of us. After reading, rereading, and then rereading again tonight, I still see Non Immigrant Visas in the notice from GUZ. In the pinned ACH & ACS section that notice is posted several times by several people, but I think it was Randy that said that the IV ACH was 2:30 to 3:30, arrive by 2pm, and the cutoff is 2:15. It has been posted in several places that it is 2:30 not 3:00, bur I am still not sure. I will go there tomorrow and ask, unless someone post a better answer. Thanks for thinking about us, Mike & Yizhen

Hey Mike,

FYI, in post #4 of this attached thread, Randy has the same time and the same link listed:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...an+citizen+hour

I agree though, better to double check, since you are there in Dodge City, anyway. ;)

I will be at the ACH on May 4th and I will be VERY early as the ONLY reason I am going so early is to go to that meeting.

Dunno whats on the 8th you mentioned as the shindig we want is on the 4th. I will be in GUZ on the 1st of may same hotel Dylan and Wendy stayed at

I will be at the ACH on May 4th and I will be VERY early as the ONLY reason I am going so early is to go to that meeting.

Dunno whats on the 8th you mentioned as the shindig we want is on the 4th. I will be in GUZ on the 1st of may same hotel Dylan and Wendy stayed at

Yes scratch the 8th, that was just faulty info. I will be there the 11th, There are apartments on the embassy I think.