Does Size Matter?

Jingwen's son's birthday is coming up, so I asked him what he would like.

Without hesitation, he said he'd like something to make him grow taller. He's 17 and stands a tad over 5' 4". Needless to say, there is little I can do to change his genetics and diet, but I said I'd look around - maybe some calcium supplements.

I had also told Jingwen and her son that he would have to register with our Selective Service when he turns 18, but Jingwen thought he would be to small to be in the military - doubtful I said.

Jingwen, herself, stands a shade over 5' 2", and both she and her daughter have commented on being too short when they come to America. I've assured them both that this should not be a concern, but it raises a question that I had never thought about.

Anyone else come across this?

Guest Se_Lang

Well coming from a vertically challenged person here I am only 5'6" and that is stretching it heck my 14 year old son is almost as tall as me. Her son is who he is cant change genetics like you said I have not really noticed a "big" problem with being short (oops... vertically challenged) except it seems all women want men who are 5'10" . I think people are far to impressed with physical attributes when they should just be the best they can be and be happy with that.

just a thought.

Wow....I totally forgot this:

We all know of Yao Ming -- the 7' 5" Chinese basketball player. He's the hottest thing in China now. Chinese don't want to be "like Mike," they want to be like Yao.

So anyway, Jing Mei is a firm believer that foot massage can cure anything when done by an expert (reflexology). I had several sessions and thought the women should be dressed in black leather and carry a whip-- she was brutal! JM took her son there so he could be taller. It just so happens they went when he was going through a natural growth spurt so she's convinced it worked (he was 9 at the time). Or, am I wrong? Did the foot massage actually work?

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/dontknow.gif

I don't think how tall a person is should make a difference but culturally, it seems to. This is unfortunate. I know that when I lived in China, many of my female students often commented that they would not date, let alone marry, a boy who was too short. As to growth hormones, probably too risky. Calcium supplements may build strong bones, but can cause kidney stones in some folks. Reflexology works for a lot of things. Maybe JM is right. :D

Guest Se_Lang
I know that when I lived in China, many of my female students often commented that they would not date, let alone marry, a boy who was too short.

ok what is short in China, I know by US standards I am short, heck I was even dwarfed by a 6' Chinese woman when I was there.

I know that when I lived in China, many of my female students often commented that they would not date, let alone marry, a boy who was too short.

ok what is short in China, I know by US standards I am short, heck I was even dwarfed by a 6' Chinese woman when I was there.

I don't think you would be considered too short in China. I think short basically equals shorter than the girl in question. Seeings how most of the ladies over there are much shorter than their American counterparts, short (vertically challenged) is kind of a relative issue. I am 5'9'', not tall by any means but I guess about average. Back to China, it is a general perception that folks from the north are taller than folks from the south. With some exceptions, this seems to be the case.

We all know of Yao Ming -- the 7' 5" Chinese basketball player.  He's the hottest thing in China now.  Chinese don't want to be "like Mike," they want to be like Yao. 

Being so tall is not good. You always about hitting your head. When you fly, you will be so uncomfortable.

HA!  I'm 5' 8" (on a good day) and I'm the tallest in JM's family.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/ole.gif

Great graphics Dave. Is that an emoticon wave? :blink:

Either that, or a very coordinated series of prostate exams.

Ouch!!! :o :o ;)

Guest Se_Lang
HA!  I'm 5' 8" (on a good day) and I'm the tallest in JM's family.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/ole.gif

Great graphics Dave. Is that an emoticon wave? :blink:

Either that, or a very coordinated series of prostate exams.

OMG I just showed this to my coworker who had to have the scope treatment :o it was a great laugh