Traveling to Canada by car

I need to see the boss in Calgary next month. Because there's a nice little China town there, I want to take the girls.

I called the Canadian government and they said a USA green card would get the girls into Canada. ...but the person on the phone said the green card was good so quickly and off the cuff that I didn't feel confident in their answer. (I know...I know...but these are my girls I'm frettin' about so cut me some slack :))

Does the answer that the green card gets them in ring true with you guys? Anyone travel recently to Canada with their wife?

I don't want to get them all excited and then have to tell them they cannot come with me. :P

Yes - Canada accepts a US greencard for admission to their country. I'm sure the person was so quick because it's a common occurrence.

No, we haven't tried, so yes, you may wish to hear from someone who has.

I need to see the boss in Calgary next month. Because there's a nice little China town there, I want to take the girls.

I called the Canadian government and they said a USA green card would get the girls into Canada. ...but the person on the phone said the green card was good so quickly and off the cuff that I didn't feel confident in their answer. (I know...I know...but these are my girls I'm frettin' about so cut me some slack :rolleyes: )

Does the answer that the green card gets them in ring true with you guys? Anyone travel recently to Canada with their wife?

I don't want to get them all excited and then have to tell them they cannot come with me. :blink:

Just bring Green Card, Passport and a state id card(student ID okay). They will want to see all three if possible. I have done it from Mich into Canada several times. It is a common question adn i am sure that is whey they knew it so fast. If you do not have state id card it will be okay.

One time i got held up coming back into the US from Canada because the agent thougth that my passport was too thick (I had extra pages added) and why did I have to go to so many countries (my work requried it). You never know what the agent will say.

Edited by Don (see edit history)

Yes, We have traveled to Toronto 4 times since getting green-card, and are heading up there this weekend.

Never a problem. We do carry the Chinese passport too, but have never had to present it at the border, just green-card.

Li Yin and I went to Niagara Falls for our anniversary last month. Went across the Peace Bridge, and showed our stuff (our passports and green card), and basically went right on through. Returning to America was just as easy. I had traveled across the Peace Bridge before with some German colleagues, and had to stop and get a stamp their passports, so I was expecting the same thing... Instead it was very easy. In fact, the hardest part of the whole trip was Li Yin deciding which Clinique skin care products she wanted to buy in the Canada Duty Free Store!!

Li Yin and I went to Niagara Falls for our anniversary last month. Went across the Peace Bridge, and showed our stuff (our passports and green card), and basically went right on through. Returning to America was just as easy. I had traveled across the Peace Bridge before with some German colleagues, and had to stop and get a stamp their passports, so I was expecting the same thing... Instead it was very easy. In fact, the hardest part of the whole trip was Li Yin deciding which Clinique skin care products she wanted to buy in the Canada Duty Free Store!!

My wife and I also went to Niagara Fall Canada side, by car, last year. She used her green card and Chinese passport without any problem.

Where is that Canada Duty Free Store? I am sure my wife must regret that we have missed it.