China brings hope, threat to global carmakers

Guest Tony n Terrific

I think if Chinese automakers can grasp the concept of quality AND price they'll be another automotive powerhouse like Japan.

Don't worry they will do that... How long it will take is the question. I remember there was a time when Japanese stuff was call junk and look now where they are.

Yea .. now if only the USA carmakers could do it in cars made for USA consumption (not for export to Europe).

I think if Chinese automakers can grasp the concept of quality AND price they'll be another automotive powerhouse like Japan.

Don't worry they will do that... How long it will take is the question. I remember there was a time when Japanese stuff was call junk and look now where they are.

Agreed!

Now look at Korea. After Japan got its act together, Korean made products were the new junk. Now they are starting to get their act together.

As long as they don't screw up, it's just a matter of time for China.

Yea .. now if only the USA carmakers could do it in cars made for USA consumption (not for export to Europe).

I'm not sure if US automobiles are of lesser mechanical quality that, say, Japanese cars. At one point they truly were, but over the past few years my family members that own American cars say that they are very pleased with the actual quality. It's the service they say still sucks.

The last time I bought a car in the States I had to make the decision between Saturn (GM) and Lexus or Infiniti. I went to several of the GM dealers and met the stereotypical high pressure money grubbing salesmen. I told them I'd like to test drive a car and they first wanted to "pre-qualify" me, have me sign all sorts of releases and then the salesman said he had to accompany me for the 10 minute test drive. Par for the course, right?

I went to the Lexus dealer. The guy saw I was wearing jeans and driving my brother's old jalopy and wouldn't even talk with me.

I went to the Infiniti dealer. Immediately the saleman asked me if I wanted some juice and whole wheat muffins and asked me what kind of car I was interested in. He gave me a very brief run-down on the differences between the various models and said he'd be back in 15 minutes to help with any questions. I looked around and afrer a while the guy came back and asked me which one I wanted to test drive. Amazed, I told him and he gave me the keys and walked me to the car. He said it had a full tank of gas, but if I needed more just fill it up and give him the receipt. I was shocked that he wasn't coming with me. I told him I'd be back in about 15 minutes and he said, "Why so fast? Take your time. Go pick up your wife and some friends and talk them for a drive. It's only 11 am now and we don't close until 9 pm. If you're gonna be later than 9, give me a call and I'll wait for you."

I bought the Infiniti. Easy bargaining process. Very low stress.

When it was time for all the preventative maintenance like oil changes, I was amazed that the dealer only charged about 50% more than if I had gone to a fast-food type of place. I brought my car in in the morning, got a LOANER, went to work and after work drove the LOANER back to pick up my car. Not only did they do the maintenance, but they washed & waxed the car and left roses in the car that I could give to my wife. All the while even the lot boy called me by name.

I wouldn't care if all US auto manufacturers / dealers went directly to hell in a handbasket.

And I wrote a letter to Lexus, too. The moron got fired and is now working for -- surprise, surprise -- Ford.

I'm not sure if US automobiles are of lesser mechanical quality that, say, Japanese cars. At one point they truly were, but over the past few years my family members that own American cars say that they are very pleased with the actual quality. It's the service they say still sucks.

The last time I bought a car in the States I had to make the decision between Saturn (GM) and Lexus or Infiniti. I went to several of the GM dealers and met the stereotypical high pressure money grubbing salesmen. I told them I'd like to test drive a car and they first wanted to "pre-qualify" me, have me sign all sorts of releases and then the salesman said he had to accompany me for the 10 minute test drive. Par for the course, right?

I went to the Lexus dealer. The guy saw I was wearing jeans and driving my brother's old jalopy and wouldn't even talk with me.

I went to the Infiniti dealer. Immediately the saleman asked me if I wanted some juice and whole wheat muffins and asked me what kind of car I was interested in. He gave me a very brief run-down on the differences between the various models and said he'd be back in 15 minutes to help with any questions. I looked around and afrer a while the guy came back and asked me which one I wanted to test drive. Amazed, I told him and he gave me the keys and walked me to the car. He said it had a full tank of gas, but if I needed more just fill it up and give him the receipt. I was shocked that he wasn't coming with me. I told him I'd be back in about 15 minutes and he said, "Why so fast? Take your time. Go pick up your wife and some friends and talk them for a drive. It's only 11 am now and we don't close until 9 pm. If you're gonna be later than 9, give me a call and I'll wait for you."

When it was time for all the preventative maintenance like oil changes, I was amazed that the dealer only charged about 50% more than if I had gone to a fast-food type of place. I brought my car in in the morning, got a LOANER, went to work and after work drove the LOANER back to pick up my car. Not only did they do the maintenance, but they washed & waxed the car and left roses in the car that I could give to my wife. All the while even the lot boy called me by name.

I wouldn't care if all US auto manufacturers / dealers went directly to hell in a handbasket.

And I wrote a letter to Lexus, too. The moron got fired and is now working for -- surprise, surprise -- Ford.

I have to agree with you that overall the quality is better for USA cars but they still never offered us the kind of car/truck I wanted. Before I left the States I had a Toyota Tocoma. This was all the truck I wanted. The Ford F-150 and Chevy fullsize trucks are great with good quality but I would never buy a Ford Ranger or the the Chevy Luv.

Also your right about customer service especially the sales pitch from USA car dealers. Where was this Infiniti dealer? I need a new car when I get back.

GZBILL, this doesn't totally shock me about the dealers as I have never been to happy about any car dealer that I have dealt with. Even the one VW / Mazda dealer that I bought a car from wasn't much better than the US ones. As for car quality I would say that the US and Japanese are about the same. I know there will be some that will not agree, so be it.... I have owned at least one car or two from each of the US makers. Not all have been new but they all were fairly good. Some better than the others.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I have to agree with you that overall the quality is better for USA cars but they still never offered us the kind of car/truck I wanted. Before I left the States I had a Toyota Tocoma. This was all the truck I wanted. The Ford F-150 and Chevy fullsize trucks are great with good quality but I would never buy a Ford Ranger or the the Chevy Luv.

Also your right about customer service especially the sales pitch from USA car dealers. Where was this Infiniti dealer? I need a new car when I get back.

The old Chevy Luv was made by Izusu. It was a rust bucket for sure.

The old Chevy Luv was made by Izusu. It was a rust bucket for sure.

back in the day of bad steel......