18 year old go to USA

my fiancee has been divorced since her daughter was 2 years old and have lived in another city from her father all her life.

my question does she need a letter for permision to leave China from him. he has never had custody of the daughter.

daughter is now 18 years old.

Guest ShaQuaNew

my fiancee has been divorced since her daughter was 2 years old and have lived in another city from her father all her life.

my question does she need a letter for permision to leave China from him. he has never had custody of the daughter.

It's a matter of who has legal documented custody. If the mother has legal custody as documented in the divorce, then the paperwork should indicate that. As far as the father, it would be much better if you could get a notarized letter from him that states he is willing to let his daughter leave China, and has no objections; while this won't be necessary if the mother has legal custody, it would be a nice touch. Has the daughter lived with her mother since age two? Another issue to consider, is the daughter's current age. Remember, in order for the daughter to be legally considered on Visa paperwork, she must be under 21 years of age on the date the visa is approved.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

It's a matter of who has legal documented custody. If the mother has legal custody as documented in the divorce, then the paperwork should indicate that. As far as the father, it would be much better if you could get a notarized letter from him that states he is willing to let his daughter leave China, and has no objections; while this won't be necessary if the mother has legal custody, it would be a nice touch. Has the daughter lived with her mother since age two? Another issue to consider, is the daughter's current age. Remember, in order for the daughter to be legally considered on Visa paperwork, she must be under 21 years of age on the date the visa is approved.

Thank you

I think we can get the letter from father with out problem. we was approved march 20th on K1 sould have interview late July I hope so.

I have no worry about getting daughters green card before she is 21

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thank you

I think we can get the letter from father with out problem. we was approved march 20th on K1 sould have interview late July I hope so.

I have no worry about getting daughters green card before she is 21

An important note here. Did you include the daughter on the paperwork when you filed K1?

i just went thru the k1 and k2 and my stepdaughter is 18 and the father had custody on the divorce papers. once the child reaches 18 custody doesnt matter and you dont need a letter from the father. its even on the guz website somewhere. good luck!

i just went thru the k1 and k2 and my stepdaughter is 18 and the father had custody on the divorce papers. once the child reaches 18 custody doesnt matter and you dont need a letter from the father. its even on the guz website somewhere. good luck!

OK THANK GUYS

I had read that before too. so I don't have any worries and yes iI did put her name on K1 application

OK THANK GUYS

I had read that before too. so I don't have any worries and yes iI did put her name on K1 application

This is correct, one of our members here has a step daughter who was 17 at the time of her mother's interview. In order to let the daughter go the father wanted a huge bribe. They simply scheduled the daughter's interview for after she turned 18 and took the father out of the equation.

re: the divorce paperwork.

Somewhere on there , MIGHT be a statement that labels 'who will foster' the child. This phrase actually identifies custody, but is not labelled 'custody'.

Ask her about the phrasing on 'fostering' - if it reads something like 'Xie Liu is 100 percent responsbile for fostering child Dan Guo' - then that's it - the mother has 100 percent fostering of the child, which extends to concept of 'custody'... Fostering is a legal label that identifies WHO the child will be living with, WHO is responsible for raising the child, WHO is responsible for all monies related to raising of child.

But - she's at the time tick of age 18 years, it shouldn't matter.

Be Good !