I-485 question

I'm assuming "K-1 Visa holder" will cover it.

But the expiration date is is throwing me...

Yes, it is the visa type.

On ours, I put K-3 Visa for my wife and K-4 Visa on my daughter's form for I-485..

The expiration date is the date on the US Visa attached to her passport....Issue Date on the left and over to the right, Expiraton Date. Both of ours were 06-01-10.

For a K-3 and K-4, the expiration date on the visa is the same as the one on the I-94. However, they are asking about the visa date, not the I-94 date.

Best wishes.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

On ours, I put K-3 Visa for my wife and K-4 Visa on my daughter's form for I-485..

The expiration date is the date on the US Visa attached to her passport....Issue Date on the left and over to the right, Expiraton Date. Both of ours were 06-01-10.

For a K-3 and K-4, the expiration date on the visa is the same as the one on the I-94. However, they are asking about the visa date, not the I-94 date.

Best wishes.

They seem to ask about the I-94 and Current status expiration, which would be the date on the I-94.

Visas must be used before the expiration, but the status extended by the visa expires on the date on the I-94.

Best wishes.

They seem to ask about the I-94 and Current status expiration, which would be the date on the I-94.

Visas must be used before the expiration, but the status extended by the visa expires on the date on the I-94.

That's what I was wondering....

Does it matter that the I-94 has expired?

That was my concern: I didn't want to cause problems by entering an expired date....

So is it the Visa or the I-94....?

Best wishes.

That was my concern: I didn't want to cause problems by entering an expired date....

Again, the specific answer to your original question is:

Status: Your visa type. Expiration date: The date the visa expires. For this question on page #1, of the I-485, they are not speaking to the I-94 !! If you are K-1, then put K-1. Then enter the expriation date of the K-1 visa. Simple.

I just filled mine out last month. I did not get an RFE.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Best wishes.

The visa expires 6 months after the date it was awarded. The I-94 expires 90 days after she enters the country.

You don't need to worry about her status - she can go out of status for up to 6 months to a year with a good reason, or for a month or two with no reason at all.

Once you file the I-485, her status is "Applying for AOS"

Many people have put the I-94 date with no RFE - that's still the way I read it - but it would probably have no impact either way. For K-1's, you are here legally regardless of the expiration dates.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)