GM car sales up 24.6% in China

Guest Tony n Terrific

The young lady I am courting in Chengdu works for a Buick dealership (the Buick Lucerne is the best selling car in China) and she says business is crazy in the last 3 months. As a result, closing the books every month takes a week (6X14 hour days) longer than it did last year. Given the current economic outlook, management doesn't dare hire more help, and she doesn't dare look for another job.

Guest ShaQuaNew

More and more people are buying cars in China...

SHANGHAI (AP) - Preliminary figures show auto sales in China reached about 1.03 million in March, exceeding U.S. sales for the third month in a row, state media reports said Wednesday.

Data from 14 major auto makers, accounting for roughly 90 percent of total sales, totaled 1.026 million, the Shanghai Securities News and other state-run newspapers said, citing Chen Bin, head of the Department of Industry at China's main economic planning agency.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090408/D97E8G900.html

Guest ShaQuaNew

The title is somewhat initially misleading, but I suppose good news for GM. Here in Florida if you get behind a Buick, damn you know the driver is going to go slow 99.999% of the time.

Buick buyers are from 60 to deceased.

Yes, that seems to be the case in the US. Buick however in China, is a car of status. Almost disappeared from the US market...

:stereo:

I had a Buick La Sabre back in 89. great car, drove really nice. I was surprised to see so many on my trip to China this year. I saw a lot of compact Chevys too. I saw very few American cars on my last trip 5 years ago.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I sold cars between jobs for a multiline GM store and I had a 93 Buick Lesabre for a demo. It was a great car. Drove nice and got good mileage to boot.

The problem with Buick Division is that it customer base like Mercury is an older clientle. Buick here in the US is the victim of the lost generation of American car buyers.

Buick is the only US auto to be ranked in the top 10 cars( Reliability and customer satisfaction) over the last 10 years, every year! This year it tied for 1st, I think the US customers should look at the value of the US cars. The Buicks are usually the most powerful and near the most efficient in their class.

My brother was driving an 16 year old Buick Roadmaster, fully loaded, it got 23 miles per gal on the HWY, 180K miles, until some guy on a cell phone drove into the rear of his car in the rain, he hit a wall head on at 50 mph and the air bags deployed. The car was destroyed, but my brother got out and walked away. 2/09.

I agree that they need to work on their image, and try to broaden their customer base, but they produce a great car at a good value. That should really be enough. Mike & Yizhen

I agree, there seems to be this assumption that all American cars are bad and all Japanese cars are good. My Buick was a great car. After that I got a Chevy S-10 pickup. It had 110K on it when I got rid of it and still ran great. Now I drive a Ford Ranger supercab. I have 75K on it and it has been very reliable. If more Americans would take a second look at our own cars maybe the auto industry wouldn't need a bail out.

Yes, that seems to be the case in the US. Buick however in China, is a car of status. Almost disappeared from the US market...

:smoker:

On my first trip to China, in Harbin I couldn't believe I saw a circa late 70's early 80's Firebird on the road.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I agree, there seems to be this assumption that all American cars are bad and all Japanese cars are good. My Buick was a great car. After that I got a Chevy S-10 pickup. It had 110K on it when I got rid of it and still ran great. Now I drive a Ford Ranger supercab. I have 75K on it and it has been very reliable. If more Americans would take a second look at our own cars maybe the auto industry wouldn't need a bail out.

There is talk now that GM will be split in two. You will have the good GM with Chevy and Cadillac and the bad GM consisting of Buick, Pontiac, GMC.

Saturn, Saab and Hummer would be liquidated.

Many experts argue that outside of the potential in China, a growing market where Buick is particularly strong, there are few advantages to keeping those three brands alive.