postponing interview date

This is my dilemma. My SO's mother is undergoing surgery in China in Nov 2009, and my SO being the only child wants to be there to care for her mom until Jan 2010. I predict that from my timeline that our interview date will be Jun/Jul 2009. I am fearful that the visa shall expire by 2010.

I am thinking of rescheduling the interview date to Sep 2009. Be aware that my SO did not receive the P3 forms yet.

How should I approach this?

1) Have my fiancee mail her P3 forms 2 months after she receives them

2) Contact GUZ next week and inform them of the situation

3) Contact DOS in Washington, DC of the situation

What do you think?

Thanks!!!

This is my dilemma. My SO's mother is undergoing surgery in China in Nov 2009, and my SO being the only child wants to be there to care for her mom until Jan 2010. I predict that from my timeline that our interview date will be Jun/Jul 2009. I am fearful that the visa shall expire by 2010.

I am thinking of rescheduling the interview date to Sep 2009. Be aware that my SO did not receive the P3 forms yet.

How should I approach this?

1) Have my fiancee mail her P3 forms 2 months after she receives them

2) Contact GUZ next week and inform them of the situation

3) Contact DOS in Washington, DC of the situation

What do you think?

Thanks!!!

I vote for # 1. I think that's the simplest way, and has the lowest possibility of any complications. If asked at the interview, she has a very good answer.

# 2 - You need to wait until the petition is in their computer. The delay would be a black box. They can be very uncommunicative

# 3 - DOS would be ineffective in this situation

We postponed our son's interview after they assigned an interview date without any issue. You might want to consider following through with the regular process and make the request after the interview date is assigned, you can even provide a target date you would like for the interview with this process.

Also, after she receives the visa she has 6 months to use it for entry, so if she interviewed in October she could get the visa and stay around for mom's surgery.

One thing to remember in delaying the process is that any of the documents that expire will need to be checked to be sure you won't need new ones before the interview.

We postponed our son's interview after they assigned an interview date without any issue. You might want to consider following through with the regular process and make the request after the interview date is assigned, you can even provide a target date you would like for the interview with this process.

Also, after she receives the visa she has 6 months to use it for entry, so if she interviewed in October she could get the visa and stay around for mom's surgery.

One thing to remember in delaying the process is that any of the documents that expire will need to be checked to be sure you won't need new ones before the interview.

They are FAR more cooperative with K-2's than they are with K-1's. Ours had an interview date about a week and a half after we requested it. With K-1's, you may get put into a "to be assigned at a later date" black box. It's not a good feeling, but either way should work just fine since he's only trying to delay until September.

They are FAR more cooperative with K-2's than they are with K-1's. Ours had an interview date about a week and a half after we requested it. With K-1's, you may get put into a "to be assigned at a later date" black box. It's not a good feeling, but either way should work just fine since he's only trying to delay until September.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Would delaying to October be too late?