No More YouTube...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm not a big YouTube watcher, but occasionally, you can find something interesting there. Unfortunately, it appears that YouTube is being actively blocked by the Great Firewall.

Dang it!....

:(

Guest ShaQuaNew

As I recall it was because of the Tibet riot videos they aired.

Hmmmm; might just be. China is very sensitive about that topic. If I recall, didn't Google buy YouTube? Google has been very accommodating toward China's requests toward censoring certain topics. Perhaps they didn't give in on this one, and are now paying the price. China has it's own YouTube thing, I've heard. Not looked at it yet tho.

Guest ShaQuaNew

use a proxy server and you can get through

Yes, I've been using a proxy server for quite a while now. Somehow, the Great Wall is blocking YouTube there also. For now, I'm not using a private proxy though, and may need to find a company and pay the fee. I'm not sure however if China has developed a technology to begin blocking that.

Yes, I've been using a proxy server for quite a while now. Somehow, the Great Wall is blocking YouTube there also. For now, I'm not using a private proxy though, and may need to find a company and pay the fee. I'm not sure however if China has developed a technology to begin blocking that.

does greenrabbit.org work over there?

Guest ShaQuaNew

No. It also seems to be blocked. What is it?

Free proxy server. I use it to circumvent the filtering at work when needed.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Free proxy server. I use it to circumvent the filtering at work when needed.

Oh, okay. Yes, there are many free proxy servers available. Most of them are blocked in China. Most of the free proxies have a reputation of injecting spyware and malware into your system. I've been using a free proxy for a long time, but only occasionally, as we don't visit many sites that are blocked. It's now time to bite the bullet and find a stable reliable one and pay the fee. If anyone out there knows of a reputable proxy service, please feel free to pass it along.

Guest ShaQuaNew

ShaQuaNew - is it blocked at home?

Yes. I'm connected to the public internet from home, as most people are from China. From the office, I can access our proxy server in Taiwan and bypass China, but of course, that's for business use only. It's from home that we need the proxy from time to time.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Use firefox for a browser and download the TOR addon.

I had that going for a while, but it crashed for some reason. The TORR download is blocked here in China, so haven't been able to do a reinstall. Also, there appears to be a bit of a learning curve for the setup. Maybe at some point I'll have time to look into that...