If, my wife's exhusband is dead does my wife need proof that she has custody of her child?

It's not at all clear from what you say that she does have custody, or his age, which will determine whether whoever DOES have custody will need to give permission.

Assuming he/she is under the age of 18, she might need a document to prove that she has custody, and the father's family does not.

A divorce decree would work, his death certificate might not.

Someone who is more familiar with custody issues at the consulate might have a better answer.

Guest ShaQuaNew

If, my wife's exhusband is dead does my wife need proof that she has custody of her child?

My wife is also a widow. We needed a copy of the death certificate, that was certified and translated to English. No other documentation was required for her to prove custody of our daughter.

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's not at all clear from what you say that she does have custody, or his age, which will determine whether whoever DOES have custody will need to give permission.

Assuming he/she is under the age of 18, she might need a document to prove that she has custody, and the father's family does not.

A divorce decree would work, his death certificate might not.

Someone who is more familiar with custody issues at the consulate might have a better answer.

My wife is also a widow. We needed a copy of the death certificate, that was certified and translated to English. No other documentation was required for her to prove custody of our daughter.

Randy raises an important point, in that you've not provided enough information as to provide a clear answer. In my wife's case, her husband died while she was married. If however, a marriage ends by divorce, just as in the US, there will be an issue as to who has legal custody of the children. If the husband had full or partial custody of a child or children after divorce, and then later died, his custody rights may have been passed on to another family member. You need to dig a little deeper and find out who exactly has legal custody, and get it resolved before trying to deal with it at a later time.