Hu Kou (household registration) problem

Over the past couple years there have been plenty of challenges to Miss Wang and I tying the knot.

As I got tired of waiting for the US gov't to approve her visa I returned to China so we could have a life together.

Now she is telling me she can NOT get married in China. This is due to her "hu kou ‘ô¿Ú" being of a certain designation. As she was born in Xijiang, but lives in Guangzhou and has a certain kind of Guangzhou hu kou, she can not get married. That hu kou does not allow people to get married unless they own property.

Had anyone else heard of such a situation, or dealt with something like this?

Thanks

Michael

I think someone is pulling someones leg?

I would just ask her out right if she want to get married or not?

Like David Z Said.

Something smells fishy

Over the past couple years there have been plenty of challenges to Miss Wang and I tying the knot.

As I got tired of waiting for the US gov't to approve her visa I returned to China so we could have a life together.

Now she is telling me she can NOT get married in China. This is due to her "hu kou ‘ô¿Ú" being of a certain designation. As she was born in Xijiang, but lives in Guangzhou and has a certain kind of Guangzhou hu kou, she can not get married. That hu kou does not allow people to get married unless they own property.

Had anyone else heard of such a situation, or dealt with something like this?

Thanks

Michael

I think someone is pulling someones leg?

I would just ask her out right if she want to get married or not?

Like David Z Said.

Something smells fishy

I agree with this

look at this quote. since she said she can't get married unless she own property.. that will mean that either you or she will need to by a apartment . well if she been there in GZ and still can't buy a apartment, that mean you will need to pay for it with your US dollars. ( not really sure about this ) can you buy a place if you are not a citizen there?

ok.. even if u do buy the place you will need to put her name on it before you get married. Thats when you going to get screw. she will take your apartment and dump you. so u will be left with nothing.

remember, life is difficult in china, and one will do anything to gain a better life. (unless you work for the goverment)

That hu kou does not allow people to get married unless they own property.

my family lives in GuangZhou and my Fiance is working there. i've never heard of this. why would you own property if you plan on getting married and leave the country.

Ya, this is where it gets tedious.

Your Fiance has 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou, so can get married in Guangzhou, as is. This is not something you would 'hear of', as it's totally outside of your normal purview.

bamboo88's lass doesn't have 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou, so in order to get married in China - there are two possibilites -

1. get married in the city where her hukuo is 'normal' or

2. buy property in Guangzhou, have the 'normal' hukuo transferred from her city to Guangzhou, then get married.

She's a migrant worker in Guangzhou, so she doesn't have the same 'rules' as a native - ie - one who has 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou.

This should be fairly clear, I'm surprised it's gone on for a longish thread.

Yo Yo Bamboo88 - what did yer lass say about getting married in the town where she has her 'normal' hukuo ?

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

my family lives in GuangZhou and my Fiance is working there. i've never heard of this. why would you own property if you plan on getting married and leave the country.

Ya, this is where it gets tedious.

Your Fiance has 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou, so can get married in Guangzhou, as is. This is not something you would 'hear of', as it's totally outside of your normal purview.

bamboo88's lass doesn't have 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou, so in order to get married in China - there are two possibilites -

1. get married in the city where her hukuo is 'normal' or

2. buy property in Guangzhou, have the 'normal' hukuo transferred from her city to Guangzhou, then get married.

She's a migrant worker in Guangzhou, so she doesn't have the same 'rules' as a native - ie - one who has 'normal' hukuo in Guangzhou.

This should be fairly clear, I'm surprised it's gone on for a longish thread.

Yo Yo Bamboo88 - what did yer lass say about getting married in the town where she has her 'normal' hukuo ?

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I thought I had this set to send me emails when there were replies, but obviously that is not the case as I just logged in and found 20 replies. Opps.

I talked with a lawyer. Yes, there is some kind of grey/group hukou. And since that is currently her hukou she would have re-register in Xinjiang.

It is not that she does not want to get married, and if I suspected for moment that she already was I'd be out of here.

As far as I can tell, at the moment she does not have a regular hukou. Thus the issue. And I will be damned if I will buy an apartment in Guangzhou just to get married. I can't even get a decent visa to be here, why would I want to have property in a place I can not readily visit?

Well as friend likes to say "TIC", this is China.