Hu Kou (household registration) problem

Over the past couple years there have been plenty of challenges to Miss Wang and I tying the knot.

As I got tired of waiting for the US gov't to approve her visa I returned to China so we could have a life together.

Now she is telling me she can NOT get married in China. This is due to her "hu kou ‘ô¿Ú" being of a certain designation. As she was born in Xijiang, but lives in Guangzhou and has a certain kind of Guangzhou hu kou, she can not get married. That hu kou does not allow people to get married unless they own property.

Had anyone else heard of such a situation, or dealt with something like this?

Thanks

Michael

Guest ShaQuaNew

Over the past couple years there have been plenty of challenges to Miss Wang and I tying the knot.

As I got tired of waiting for the US gov't to approve her visa I returned to China so we could have a life together.

Now she is telling me she can NOT get married in China. This is due to her "hu kou ‘ô¿Ú" being of a certain designation. As she was born in Xijiang, but lives in Guangzhou and has a certain kind of Guangzhou hu kou, she can not get married. That hu kou does not allow people to get married unless they own property.

Thanks

Michael

Never heard of that one. I also just checked with some of my Chinese co-workers and they never heard of anyone being told they cannot get married because they do not own property...

:blink:

Thanks

Michael

Is it possible she can't get married in Guangzhou without owning property there?

See if it is possible to go to XiJiang to get married, or since your a foreign devil you will need to go to the provincial capital in her home town.

Just another guess -

She has a worker's permit for Guangzhou, and since she holds this - she can't get married in Guangzhou.

If she were to buy property in Guangzhou, she could have her REGULAR hukuo transferred to Guangzhou.

But hei - that's just a SWAG (Scientific Wild @ss Guess).

Guest ShaQuaNew

Interesting Western perspective of the Chinese Hu Kou. I believe there may be something else going on here however. Like the Chinese partner perhaps maybe not wanting to be married in China? Maybe she's had a dream of being married in America. If someone is telling her there are problems or issues in her hometown, then, why not just travel there, straighten it out, and get married there?

Just another guess -

She has a worker's permit for Guangzhou, and since she holds this - she can't get married in Guangzhou.

If she were to buy property in Guangzhou, she could have her REGULAR hukuo transferred to Guangzhou.

This guy's info would seem to confirm that she would need to buy property in Guangzhou or go back to her hometown and marry.

http://www.middlekingdomlife.com/guide/get...ed-in-china.htm

Interesting Western perspective of the Chinese Hu Kou. I believe there may be something else going on here however. Like the Chinese partner perhaps maybe not wanting to be married in China? Maybe she's had a dream of being married in America. If someone is telling her there are problems or issues in her hometown, then, why not just travel there, straighten it out, and get married there?

I wonder if she just misspoke or the OP misunderstood about not be able to marry in China and meant just not in Guangzhou.

Just another guess -

This guy's info would seem to confirm that she would need to buy property in Guangzhou or go back to her hometown and marry.

Warning ..this reply is off topic .. but felt like I had to ...

While this guy's/site's info seems correct about the Hukuo issue I would personally not trust a lot of info from this site ....

If you look at another part of the the site you will find a portion dedicated to explaing chinese women with information like this "This case vignette was written by a 30-year old American foreign teacher in China who had a very painful experience with an exhibitionistic narcissist he had met through an Internet dating service. Unfortunately, many Western men are exploited and manipulated for visas to their respective foreign countries every day in China.

Once I looked atthe background of one of the authors I understood ... it takes a narcissist to know one I guess ...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just another guess -

Warning ..this reply is off topic .. but felt like I had to ...

While this guy's/site's info seems correct about the Hukuo issue I would personally not trust a lot of info from this site ....

If you look at another part of the the site you will find a portion dedicated to explaing chinese women with information like this "This case vignette was written by a 30-year old American foreign teacher in China who had a very painful experience with an exhibitionistic narcissist he had met through an Internet dating service. Unfortunately, many Western men are exploited and manipulated for visas to their respective foreign countries every day in China.

Once I looked atthe background of one of the authors I understood ... it takes a narcissist to know one I guess ...

I started looking for the information you mentioned, and saw it here:

http://www.middlekingdomlife.com/guide/sec...ssues-china.htm

...but, also found this:

http://www.middlekingdomlife.com/guide/about-the-authors.htm

As you can see, the guy that runs the site is a Psycho-Analyst, so he would likely view the world from a mental-health perspective. Of course, he's a guy that won the "Coconut" award...

B)

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I think it's fishy... my instinct says she doesn't want to marry... because otherwise, a chinese will find a way if they want something.

Back to the thread topic ... I have to agree. My wife got us around the few roadblocks thrown our way to get us married in China.

Since all u don't really want to say it.. i'll say it.. here it comes.

Maybe she is already married and your just playing her game.

She can certainly get married in Xijiang, where she is registered. Also, she will probably need to go to Xijiang to get her notarial records that will be needed in the visa process.

So ask her why you can't go to Xijiang together, meet the family and get married.

Just another guess -

Ya - I had remembered something about this from a previous life, but .... you know how the grey cells spin off into the ether... I hate getting old.