K2 visa for child 20 yrs old

I read about this some where but can't find it again

but it said that if child is over 18 they do not need letter for permission to leave the country from father.

does any one know where to find this information?

Guest ShaQuaNew

but it said that if child is over 18 they do not need letter for permission to leave the country from father.

That may be true, but the problem with an older child, especially one of 20-years, is that they will likely age-out before they can be approved as a K2. It's important to add them to the paperwork though.

Over the age of 18, he is an adult and does not need his father's consent.

When you apply for his AOS, write in big red letters on the envelope, "Potential age-out - Please Expedite". Also on the cover letter. They do cooperate

The law (INA) is that he must apply before his 21st birthday, but many USCIS offices (including Washington, D.C.) interpret that to mean that the interview must occur before his 21st birthday.

If he ages out (21) before the interview your wife will have to file an I-130 for him after you are married. A long long wait.

AFTER he goes home to China

UNLESS you care to fight it out in the courts - it's a very winnable battle.

If he ages out (21) before the interview your wife will have to file an I-130 for him after you are married. A long long wait.

I meant the K-2 visa interview. If he turns 21 before then there is no recourse but to wait and file an 130 for an unmarried son or daughter over 21.

I meant the K-2 visa interview. If he turns 21 before then there is no recourse but to wait and file an 130 for an unmarried son or daughter over 21.

Oh, true! But I'm assuming he will come to the US in plenty of time to apply for AOS AND hopefully interview for AOS before his 21st birthday. That's something to consider as well.