adding my wife to my car title.

i want to put my wife on my car title,can it be done by mail?Well,i figure i will probably have to go to the DMV,and stand in a line . Will i be able to do this without my wife being present,and having to sign it.I own my car.It just seems like everything i try to put my wifes name on,needs her present to sign her signature.........oh,and i just pulled my title out of the drawer,i still have my ex-wife on the title,how do i get her off of it?

thanks.

jimi

Guest ShaQuaNew

i want to put my wife on my car title,can it be done by mail?Well,i figure i will probably have to go to the DMV,and stand in a line . Will i be able to do this without my wife being present,and having to sign it.I own my car.It just seems like everything i try to put my wifes name on,needs her present to sign her signature.........oh,and i just pulled my title out of the drawer,i still have my ex-wife on the title,how do i get her off of it?

thanks.

jimi

Jimi, contact your bank, or lien holder for the car title, and motor vehicle registration. Get copies of the forms to add her to the title, and send them to her for signature. Let the people know that she's in China right now, as they may require a notary.

i want to put my wife on my car title,can it be done by mail?Well,i figure i will probably have to go to the DMV,and stand in a line . Will i be able to do this without my wife being present,and having to sign it.I own my car.It just seems like everything i try to put my wifes name on,needs her present to sign her signature.........oh,and i just pulled my title out of the drawer,i still have my ex-wife on the title,how do i get her off of it?thanks.

jimi

Very quickly :rolleyes:

Jim call the pinellas Motor Vehicle Services (County Tax Collector)

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/pinellas.html

Guest Pommey

dont think you can, until she is here to sign papers with valid ID, proof of residence etc, but let us know if you get it done

She will need to be physically present to add her to the title as this is a change of title, If the vehicle is purchased by joint ownership, why do both parties have to be present? Can I sign for my spouse?

The real issue is getting your ex off the title, until that is done you cannot do anything with the title without the ex signing off on the transaction. This may be covered in your divorce decree.

Something you might be able to do is add her to the title to your home if you are listed as the sole owner, this is usually done by only requiring the owners signature. Be cautious how you list the names when doing this otherwise if you need to sell it before she is physically present it could be difficult.

She will need to be physically present to add her to the title as this is a change of title, If the vehicle is purchased by joint ownership, why do both parties have to be present? Can I sign for my spouse?

The real issue is getting your ex off the title, until that is done you cannot do anything with the title without the ex signing off on the transaction. This may be covered in your divorce decree.

Something you might be able to do is add her to the title to your home if you are listed as the sole owner, this is usually done by only requiring the owners signature. Be cautious how you list the names when doing this otherwise if you need to sell it before she is physically present it could be difficult.

I do not own a home (the ex wife got that),but anyway i called up the DMV,and there is a form i have to download,and basically,to solve my problem,is i would basically be selling the car back to me and my wife,(my ex wife would sign off on the title)and my wife does not have to be present,just need her signature,and take this to my local DMV office.thats how it was explained to me.

jimi

I do not own a home (the ex wife got that),but anyway i called up the DMV,and there is a form i have to download,and basically,to solve my problem,is i would basically be selling the car back to me and my wife,(my ex wife would sign off on the title)and my wife does not have to be present,just need her signature,and take this to my local DMV office.thats how it was explained to me.

jimi

Be sure to have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.

Seriously though, you might want to price it so as to minimize the sales tax you might have to pay (like $1). This is not just a private transaction, since it goes on the record.