letter explaining DCF

Hi there,

Wanted to run this letter by you guys to ask if you think it is concise and direct enough. I tried looking on visajourney for examples of it but didn't seem to find any. Thanks in advance.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I¡¯ve been living in China approximately sixteen months. The second month I arrived in Nanchang, China I met Wang ZiYi. I made the decision to extend my stay in China once we realized we were serious about each other. At present, I am still living in China and working as an English Teacher. I plan on going back to the US once Wang ZiYi has his visa in hand. I have provided evidence for domicile with the following:

1) bank statements

-Golden 1 Credit Union

-School¡¯s Financial Credit Union

2) TIAA-CREF retirement portfolio

3) Future Employer¡¯s letter

4) Tizzy Wu (mother¡¯s) letter

5) Copy of current driver¡¯s license

6) Current employer¡¯s letter

Hi there,

Wanted to run this letter by you guys to ask if you think it is concise and direct enough. I tried looking on visajourney for examples of it but didn't seem to find any. Thanks in advance.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I¡¯ve been living in China approximately sixteen months. The second month I arrived in Nanchang, China I met Wang ZiYi. I made the decision to extend my stay in China once we realized we were serious about each other. At present, I am still living in China and working as an English Teacher. I plan on going back to the US once Wang ZiYi has his visa in hand. I have provided evidence for domicile with the following:

1) bank statements

-Golden 1 Credit Union

6) Current employer¡¯s letter

sounds like some good evidence to me.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I'm skeptical that this information is good enough. When we did DCF, I provided an actual lease of a place where I was currently paying rent- I know most people who DCF make the hard decision to leave China without their spouse for the U.S. exactly for this reason: proving you have an actual domicile in the U.S.

[The exception is if you will be moving in with your parents (or telling GUZ you are). Then, letters from parents, bank statements to your parents' address, retirement papers to that address are useful.]

Here's what I mean: for example, driver license's are good for 10 years, but nobody ever checks to make sure the license is still updated with your current address. How does the VO know that that's really your address? So unless that driver license address matches some other hard evidence that you are actually living at that place, it is basically useless. By far the best evidence is a lease/deed showing that there is a place in the U.S. you have paid to live in, or if you are moving in with your parents, then their lease/deed matching the address on your forms.

As far as I understand, the requirement is that you have an actual place that you are currently living in inside the U.S. in order to sponsor an immigrant. It seems pretty cut and dry. And, believe me, I completely understand the arrangement you are trying to make. But I would try to get some more convincing evidence that you actually have a place to live in inside the U.S.

-Ryan

I agree with Ryan's points... I'll put it this way.

Don't explain to GUZ why you are in china; Just put together proof that you have not abandoned your US domicile.

The single most easiest way, IMO... is to maintain an address at your parents and then show that you will return there.

- Show you receive mail there;

- Show your ID is valid;

- Show bank statements with activity

- Show a lease agreement

- Show a letter stating you intent to return to the address of the lease.

thank you David and Ryan for your advice. My mother has included a letter stating that she will be giving her car to us once we arrive in the US. She has also mentioned in the letter that she will take full financial responsibility for us once we arrive. Do you think this is enough? Or do you think my mother should actually state "we are going to be living with her", because I can state that in my domicile letter. If she does state this, should she include a copy of her mortgage payment?

One of my bank statements show recent activity because I put in a deposit of 2000 dollars a couple months ago. I also have a job offer letter included that states the offer is good for a year upon my arrival into the US. My current employer also wrote that I will not be renewing a contract with them because I will be going home to the US. I know most of this is just heresay and not hard proof, but I don't have a lease. I hope this will suffice.

thank you David and Ryan for your advice. My mother has included a letter stating that she will be giving her car to us once we arrive in the US. She has also mentioned in the letter that she will take full financial responsibility for us once we arrive. Do you think this is enough? Or do you think my mother should actually state "we are going to be living with her", because I can state that in my domicile letter. If she does state this, should she include a copy of her mortgage payment?

One of my bank statements show recent activity because I put in a deposit of 2000 dollars a couple months ago. I also have a job offer letter included that states the offer is good for a year upon my arrival into the US. My current employer also wrote that I will not be renewing a contract with them because I will be going home to the US. I know most of this is just heresay and not hard proof, but I don't have a lease. I hope this will suffice.

These things you mentioned aren't hearsay, they actually are proof. But, they aren't proof for what you actually need: that you have a place in the U.S. where you and your spouse will live.

As David mentioned, don't explain why you are living in China. Writing a letter explaining why you are knowingly disobeying one of the base requirements for an immigrant visa, however reasonable your intentions, just doesn't strike me as a great idea.

Instead, show things like mortgage payments/any other proof tying you to that domicile, proving that your home is still your mother's home and that you will be living there once your spouse receives an immigrant visa.

Just as a side note, letters are probably a little bit helpful, but again, you have to think: how does the VO know that the things in the letter are true? Good=Co-sponsors I-864. Bad=Letter saying someone will support you financially. Good= name on a car lease. Bad= letter saying they will give you a car.

I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm just mentioning this advice from our own experience and difficult decisions we made in our DCF.

-Ryan

If I didn't say so before, Congratulations on your pink!!!!! Hey, I think you're doing me a great service by giving me all this info. so no worries, i know you're not being difficult just to be difficult. Okay, I reread the letter my mother wrote and it does say she is expecting us to live with her. The only other thing I can think of from your past posts is attaching her mortgage payment onto this letter. I don't think she'll be able to put my name on the car with such short notice. I also edited my letter again. What do you think? By the way, my mother is my co-sponsor and all my mail is sent to her house - the one we will be staying at upon our arrival, so my statements and such list that.

Dear Sir or Madam,

At present, I am still living in China and working as an English Teacher. I plan on going back to the US once Wang ZiYi has his visa in hand. I will have a job upon my arrival at Unique Travel. I will be working as a Marketing Analyst with a salary of 50k a year. We will be staying at 7472 Deltawind Drive, Sacramento, CA 95831 with my mother. I have provided evidence for domicile with the following:

1) bank statements

-Golden 1 Credit Union

6) Current Employer¡¯s letter

Sincerely,

These things you mentioned aren't hearsay, they actually are proof. But, they aren't proof for what you actually need: that you have a place in the U.S. where you and your spouse will live.

As David mentioned, don't explain why you are living in China. Writing a letter explaining why you are knowingly disobeying one of the base requirements for an immigrant visa, however reasonable your intentions, just doesn't strike me as a great idea.

Instead, show things like mortgage payments/any other proof tying you to that domicile, proving that your home is still your mother's home and that you will be living there once your spouse receives an immigrant visa.

Just as a side note, letters are probably a little bit helpful, but again, you have to think: how does the VO know that the things in the letter are true? Good=Co-sponsors I-864. Bad=Letter saying someone will support you financially. Good= name on a car lease. Bad= letter saying they will give you a car.

I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm just mentioning this advice from our own experience and difficult decisions we made in our DCF.

-Ryan

Edited by cguo7 (see edit history)

-Ryan

What requirement is this? A domicile is more of a place where you can receive mail, than a place that you are REQUIRED to live in. We've seen many people stay in China up to (and in some cases beyond) the time when the visa is received.

My two cents.

Dear Sir or Madam,

At present, I am still living in China and working as an English Teacher. I plan on going back to the US once Wang ZiYi has his visa in hand. I will have a job upon my arrival at Unique Travel. I will be working as a Marketing Analyst with a salary of 50k a year. We will be staying at 7472 Deltawind Drive, Sacramento, CA 95831 with my mother. I have provided evidence for domicile with the following:

Just say "My current domicile in the US is my mother's house, which is also where we'll be living." I wouldn't include the part about going back to the US once visa is in hand. No need to draw attention to that fact even tho, as Randy mentioned, people have done it.

I would say "I have included a letter from my future employer stating their intention of hiring me along with with my expected salary." Let the letter and financial docs speak for themselves. This is assuming that info is included in the letter, which it should be.

JMO

I wouldn't even say , 'staying with my mother'. I would include the address, that's it.

I had recommend to others doing DCF to get a broadband phone account, with a billing address in the states, use it in china. (such as vonage). A telephone account is a good proof of domicile, so are any utilities. Does your mother have high speed internet at her place? Maybe it's time to get it, but in YOU and yer wife's NAME, homed at that address.

That would give you TWO utility bills at an address. Heck - you can even get a coupla cell phones online with yer favorite provider, have the address set up with Mom, but you and your wife's names on the accounts.

But yer getting real close on dates now - I think you'll have about another 4 to 6 weeks before you get an interview date.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

thank you illinois dave, I've changed a bit of that letter. thanks.

My two cents.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Just say "My current domicile in the US is my mother's house, which is also where we'll be living." I wouldn't include the part about going back to the US once visa is in hand. No need to draw attention to that fact even tho, as Randy mentioned, people have done it.

I would say "I have included a letter from my future employer stating their intention of hiring me along with with my expected salary." Let the letter and financial docs speak for themselves. This is assuming that info is included in the letter, which it should be.

JMO

hola Sebastian,

thanks for the advice, the broadband phone account is a good idea but I don't think I have enough time, like you mentioned. Thanks though.

I wouldn't even say , 'staying with my mother'. I would include the address, that's it.

I had recommend to others doing DCF to get a broadband phone account, with a billing address in the states, use it in china. (such as vonage). A telephone account is a good proof of domicile, so are any utilities. Does your mother have high speed internet at her place? Maybe it's time to get it, but in YOU and yer wife's NAME, homed at that address.

That would give you TWO utility bills at an address. Heck - you can even get a coupla cell phones online with yer favorite provider, have the address set up with Mom, but you and your wife's names on the accounts.

But yer getting real close on dates now - I think you'll have about another 4 to 6 weeks before you get an interview date.

Dear Sir or Madam,

1) bank statements

-Golden 1 Credit Union

6) Current Employer¡¯s letter

Were you at your mom's prior to going to china? If so, I'd say 'I plan on returning to my US residence at....". Show a lease agreement or letter state your monthly payments or the living arrangment. Get a letter for sure.

Current employer's letter? In china? I'm not sure what that does... you need to show US employment !

A letter of commitment from a prospective employer is not too strong really... ultimately, your not employed and not working there; anybody could back out of agreement.

But, I would include a letter of commitment from them... but ultimately, you will probably need a joint sponsor anyways. the prospective job will not serve much use towards assuring the VO; a joint sponsor is the ticket.