We were married in HK, we are filing for K-3 and K-4 from HK and I have some questions.

DS-230 Part 1 Signature of applicant is me or my wife?

G-325A page 5, bottom This form is subbitted in connection with an application for.....?

Again signature of applicant is who?

My wife has no middle name, is (N/A) okay same question for registration #?

I-129F question 20 city is HK and Country is China?

Do I need my step daughter to sign any forms? ie DS-230, G325A, I-130.

Sorry so short I am at a net cafe and will check back when I reach Gongzhou.

Thanks

We were married in HK, we are filing for K-3 and K-4 from HK and I have some questions.

G-325A page 5, bottom This form is subbitted in connection with an application for.....?

Thanks

Question: Is wife and child HK-Residents OR are they residents of the mainland and you married in HK? IF HK residents, consider filing 2 I-130 for CR-1 and CR-2 visas. If mainland residents and you wish visa interview to be in HK then K-visa is the only option.

Question: Are you and prospective immigrants are residents of HK?? If so, forget K-visas and file 2 I-130 petitions DIRECTLY to the consulate in HK for CR-1 and CR-1 IMMIGRANT visas.

DS-230 will be needed later for the visa interview.

DS-230 is an immigrant visa application, NOT a petition, so the applicant (Immigrant, Beneficiary) signs it.

G-325A, It will be in connection to "Other" and I-130 Relitive petition, or I-129F K-Visa petition. Later when adjusting status check Status as permanent resident.

2 sets of G-325As are involved with I-130 and I-129F, Petitioner (US citizen) signs theirs, and Beneficiary (Foreign citizen) signs theirs.

Step children do not do a G-325A unless they are older than 14, if step child is older than 14 they sign their forms, if not then biological parent signs.

You will need consent of other parent to get a visa for child.

Thanks

Question: Is wife and child HK-Residents OR are they residents of the mainland and you married in HK? IF HK residents, consider filing 2 I-130 for CR-1 and CR-2 visas. If mainland residents and you wish visa interview to be in HK then K-visa is the only option.

Question: Are you and prospective immigrants are residents of HK?? If so, forget K-visas and file 2 I-130 petitions DIRECTLY to the consulate in HK for CR-1 and CR-1 IMMIGRANT visas.

DS-230 will be needed later for the visa interview.

DS-230 is an immigrant visa application, NOT a petition, so the applicant (Immigrant, Beneficiary) signs it.

G-325A, It will be in connection to "Other" and I-130 Relitive petition, or I-129F K-Visa petition. Later when adjusting status check Status as permanent resident.

2 sets of G-325As are involved with I-130 and I-129F, Petitioner (US citizen) signs theirs, and Beneficiary (Foreign citizen) signs theirs.

Step children do not do a G-325A unless they are older than 14, if step child is older than 14 they sign their forms, if not then biological parent signs.

You will need consent of other parent to get a visa for child.

My wife and step daughter are both mainland residents and I am a USC.

We do have consent of the other parent for the step daughter.

So Don just to be clear no hurry on the DS-230?

Will I need to send 4 G-325A for my wife with the I-130 and also 4 G-325A for the I-129F on myself? What of photos should I send photos of the Step Daughter with the G-325?

Question 20 on the I-129F... City is HK and country is China?

Edited by MarkHui (see edit history)

My wife and step daughter are both mainland residents and I am a USC.

We do have consent of the other parent for the step daughter.

So Don just to be clear no hurry on the DS-230?

Will I need to send 4 G-325A for my wife with the I-130 and also 4 G-325A for the I-129F on myself? What of photos should I send photos of the Step Daughter with the G-325?

Question 20 on the I-129F... City is HK and country is China?

Keep in mind G-325A is a 4 page form, so you are sending ONE 4 page G-325A and your Wife is sending ONE 4 page G-325A, DO NOT fillin just page 1 and print it 4 times, you fill in page 1 of the PDF and print the 4 page document, and sign it at the bottom of all 4 pages.

To save your self $$$ and added hassel of Adjustment of status consider just filing an I-130 for wife, together with an I-130 for step child, and go for the CR-1 and CR-2 visas, these visas are IMMIGRANT, they get a green-card upon entry to the USA, allowing you to do things like apply for SSN, Driver's license, etc.

Lately with the performance at USCIS, and NVC, the CR-1 and CR-2 visas are processing just as fast as the K-Visas. K-3 was developed at a time when Immigrant (CR-1, and IR-1) visas were taking YEARS, and K-1 fiancee was taking less that 1 year to process, this is NOT the case anymore.

THE CR-1 has the big benefit of cost savings, and GREEN-CARD on entry to the USA.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Keep this in mind in this economy, the CR-1 with it's instant green-card looks very attractive considering the cost savings, and the ability of the immigrant being able to take a job shortly after entry to the USA. K-3 has the down-side of added cost, and NOT being able to legitimately take a job until they have EAD or green-card, EAD can take 90 days or longer to get.