Police certificates

Hi all,

Our I-130 has recently been approved. I assume now the next step is to gather police certificates for my wife.

1) Do we need to physically go back to China to get the police certificates? (right now we reside in Canada)

2) Also, do I need to get her birth certificate (via Gong Zheng Chu)?

3) Anything else besides the above that we need to obtain from China officials?

Thanks!

1) A family member may be able to get one and then get it translated at the notary office.

2) Yes birth cert and translation will be needed, also available from the notary office having jurisdiction on your spouses last residence in China.

MORE: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3537.html

Have a long, hard read?

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...he_NVC_ShortCut

Most of that stuff won't apply if yer doing DCF in Canada, but pay attention to the original documents section, and the DS-230

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

1) A family member may be able to get one and then get it translated at the notary office.

2) Yes birth cert and translation will be needed, also available from the notary office having jurisdiction on your spouses last residence in China.

My wife has lived in various parts of the country, does she need to get her family member to travel to those cities?

How long is the birth cert valid for? I just realized I have a copy of her birth cert (obtained via gong zheng chu) from a few years back.

the birth certificate has no duration or expiration - but it must be translated into english, and that translation notarized.

the police certificate - guz 'rules' - 1 year duration from the date stamp.

she has hukuo in ONE city - she needs the police report generated, and then translated, and then notarized, in that city. so if there is a family member in that city (again , where she has her hukuo) - then that family member can get it.

She doesn't need to get one 'from each city' - the city where her hukuo is registered will be able to 'pull all data all over China'.

Good Luck !

the birth certificate has no duration or expiration - but it must be translated into english, and that translation notarized.

she has hukuo in ONE city - she needs the police report generated, and then translated, and then notarized, in that city. so if there is a family member in that city (again , where she has her hukuo) - then that family member can get it.

She doesn't need to get one 'from each city' - the city where her hukuo is registered will be able to 'pull all data all over China'.

Good Luck !

Thanks Sebastian, she only has hukou in one city, but she has lived in one more cities. According to resources I read, she is supposed to get police certificates from all the cities she has lived in since 16?

Good Luck !

Thanks Sebastian, she only has hukou in one city, but she has lived in one more cities. According to resources I read, she is supposed to get police certificates from all the cities she has lived in since 16?

Your resources are wrong, for the Country of China.

Reread what I wrote, noting it only applies to China.

Any other countries where she's lived, she'll need a police report from there as well.

My wife has lived in various parts of the country, does she need to get her family member to travel to those cities?

How long is the birth cert valid for? I just realized I have a copy of her birth cert (obtained via gong zheng chu) from a few years back.

NO, Just a police cert from the city where her national ID card says her residence is. The police cert from China covers the entire country.

Birth certs are valid indefinitely. Get 2 one for visa, and another to keep for later uses in the USA.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)