I need the ITIN to file a joint tax return, but of course during this process things are never easy.

My wife is in Liuzhou. Her closest consulate is Guangzhou. Any alternative to her traveling to Guangzhou to certify her passport. I think it would be easier for her to mail the passport to US, but I would like to avoid that as well. As you can see, our options are not attractive.

thanks

Jim

Edited by hopelives (see edit history)

I need the ITIN to file a joint tax return, but of course during this process things are never easy.

My wife is in Liuzhou. Her closest consulate is Guangzhou. Any alternative to her traveling to Guangzhou to certify her passport. I think it would be easier for her to mail the passport to US, but I would like to avoid that as well. As you can see, our options are not attractive.

thanks

Jim

Yeah,i am not sure there is a better alternative,I had my wife mail me her passport,and on my next trip,i brought it back to China ,with me.

Guest ShaQuaNew

thanks

Jim

Jim, why not file your tax return as single first. Then, after you're able to get an ITIN or SSN file an amended return. It's actually quite easy to do. I did that for 2006.

thanks

Jim

Jim, why not file your tax return as single first. Then, after you're able to get an ITIN or SSN file an amended return. It's actually quite easy to do. I did that for 2006.

Cause, for a CR-1 , it's a type o relationship evidence. You were a K-1 petitioner, totally different thing.

thanks

Jim

Cause, for a CR-1 , it's a type o relationship evidence. You were a K-1 petitioner, totally different thing.

Sebastian

is right on, it is for the financial entanglement effort of getting the visa that I will file jointly. I guess I will have her send me the passport and I will take it to my local IRS office Great advice as always thanks everyone-Jim

she can get a notarized copy at any of the us consulates in china - but it takes some wrangling and it's either free or it's 30 bucks usd- there was a thread about it recently. (sorry, i'm stating the obvious, and of course, yer main point, to begin with...)

if you review the w-7 instructions, there's a LIST of documents that they'll take just simple copies , from... maybe review that list again on the w-7 ? you might actually have these documents, but don't know it, yet...

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

she can get a notarized copy at any of the us consulates in china - but it takes some wrangling and it's either free or it's 30 bucks usd- there was a thread about it recently. (sorry, i'm stating the obvious, and of course, yer main point, to begin with...)

if you review the w-7 instructions, there's a LIST of documents that they'll take just simple copies , from... maybe review that list again on the w-7 ? you might actually have these documents, but don't know it, yet...

Sorry .. no she cannot. If she lives in the province covered by the GUZ consulate then she cannot get a notarized copy of her passport. The USC has to be there and she has to get a Chinese notary to witness it in her hometown then go her province's capital and get the Foreign Affairs office to notartize it a second time and then the consulate office will notarize that FA officer's signature.

I know this because I asked thinking that all I had to do is go to any US Consulate and get a notary stampl saying that the passport copy is a true copy of the original which is all the IRS requires.

So yes, if you are living in USA, the best way is to have her mail it to you. UPS from China costs about 250 RMB and arrives in two days. Send it back via UPS.

I live in China. I either have to go to Beijing and give my return and copy of her passort to the IRS agent in US Consulate and let him file my taxes for me (he can give me a notazrized copy of her passport but he cannot give me the copy back to send to the IRS .. he has to send it ... I am not making this up) or fly back to USA with her passport to get any Tom/Dick/Harry with a notary stamp to notarize a true copy of her passport.

Sorry .. no she cannot. If she lives in the province covered by the GUZ consulate then she cannot get a notarized copy of her passport. The USC has to be there and she has to get a Chinese notary to witness it in her hometown then go her province's capital and get the Foreign Affairs office to notartize it a second time and then the consulate office will notarize that FA officer's signature.

I know this because I asked thinking that all I had to do is go to any US Consulate and get a notary stampl saying that the passport copy is a true copy of the original which is all the IRS requires.

So yes, if you are living in USA, the best way is to have her mail it to you. UPS from China costs about 250 RMB and arrives in two days. Send it back via UPS.

I live in China. I either have to go to Beijing and give my return and copy of her passort to the IRS agent in US Consulate and let him file my taxes for me (he can give me a notazrized copy of her passport but he cannot give me the copy back to send to the IRS .. he has to send it ... I am not making this up) or fly back to USA with her passport to get any Tom/Dick/Harry with a notary stamp to notarize a true copy of her passport.

Great Information thanks-jim

You are right, there is a long list but none of those documents apply, need the passport-thanks Jim

grr - sorry - my apologies. GUZ sucks at this - I am dead sorry.

grr - sorry - my apologies. GUZ sucks at this - I am dead sorry.

No need for apology .. mei wen ti. Actually I also thought I could just go to the US Embassy in China (any of them) and get a copy of her passport notarized. Then I decided, after signing up for ACS visit, that I should ask if they would do this. I can understand why GUZ does it their way (they are only verifying the FAO signature that the document is real not the document itself) but all the IRS needs is a notarized statement/seal that the copy is a true copy of the document.

Some people have been able to get the notarized copy done at the embassy in Beijing. I will go there later next month to do this.

However s being a true copy.