Tomb Sweeping Day

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just received this notice about a new Chinese holiday:

We are going to have 3 consecutive days public holiday from April 4 to April 6, 2009 for Tomb Sweeping Day. The 4th April will be a public holiday; the 5th April is a normal weekend. Apr. 6th as a working day will be changed with April 4th.

I understand that it's a public holiday for families to take care and visit their loved ones that have passed.

We are going to have 3 consecutive days public holiday from April 4 to April 6, 2009 for Tomb Sweeping Day. The 4th April will be a public holiday; the 5th April is a normal weekend. Apr. 6th as a working day will be changed with April 4th.

I understand that it's a public holiday for families to take care and visit their loved ones that have passed.

Just checked my calendar - it's there for the 5th. ChingMing - does it have something to do with the Ming tombs, if I remember right?

Goes back to 206 BC - not exactly new

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just checked my calendar - it's there for the 5th. ChingMing - does it have something to do with the Ming tombs, if I remember right?

Goes back to 206 BC - not exactly new

My co-workers don't seem to be familiar with the history for this holiday. While it may have been on the calendar I hear, it's new that many businesses are making it a paid holiday.

Not knew, my wife celebrated this holiday in the past, and her company gave time off.

I think it is an excellent way of living, and respecting our ancestors.

I wish we had something similar in USA.

In fact my wife is going home to China for this holiday, Mar 31.

Will be our first day apart since last August.

Worse, she will leave our daughter here, so I'll be a single parent!!!

Truth is I am glad she is going. Her father died just before she came to America last year, and they will bury him during this holiday.

I wish I could be with her, but daughter has school, and I have work.

Glad your still lerning and enjoying China Shaquanew. Wish I was there.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I was in Nanning last year and my wife's Dad went back to Tianlin to observe this holiday. This year my wife's whole family are planning on returning to honor this custom.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

Here was my comments last year on it, while in china:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=392614

It was made official in the Tang Dynasty... about 600 years before the Ming.

Although it's roots should properly be traced back to Confucius who believe in honoring traditions; paramount among those were one's parents; both while living (filial piety) and dead (3 years of mourning). For Confucius, this was not mere rite along; but one of devotion.

This is one of many strong traditions which bind people to a family and community orientation, willing to forget themselves in the process. This would include a prohibition on marrying or taking higher positions during the mourning period.

This is one of many strong traditions which bind people to a family and community orientation, willing to forget themselves in the process. This would include a prohibition on marrying or taking higher positions during the mourning period.

oh!! I am SO glad I was CR/1 visa!!

If we had been K1, got the visa in June, her dad died in August, and we had to drop the visa for 3 years.

Terrible!!

Still, I like the tradition, and even if it meant 3 years of my life, it would be worth it to respect a good person, and the father of my wife.

Glad I was not tested on that resolve though.

If we had been K1, got the visa in June, her dad died in August, and we had to drop the visa for 3 years.

Terrible!!

Still, I like the tradition, and even if it meant 3 years of my life, it would be worth it to respect a good person, and the father of my wife.

sorry to hear about that... death for anyone is tramatic; but for chinese, honoring the dead clearly takes on meaning. I don't think it would of delayed anything honestly.

The chinese are pragmatic afterall... historically, 3 years causes too much lost opportunity... at some point, the length reduced and practically disappeared; Nowadays, I doubt there is any such uniform treatment. Other than the devotion and holiday.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Terrible!!

sorry to hear about that... death for anyone is tramatic; but for chinese, honoring the dead clearly takes on meaning. I don't think it would of delayed anything honestly.

The chinese are pragmatic afterall... historically, 3 years causes too much lost opportunity... at some point, the length reduced and practically disappeared; Nowadays, I doubt there is any such uniform treatment. Other than the devotion and holiday.

Most of my co-workers are simply looking at it as a long 3-day weekend; with plans to travel and enjoy.

Terrible!!

Most of my co-workers are simply looking at it as a long 3-day weekend; with plans to travel and enjoy.

I believe that... but I will add... if one could preview their psyche... I'll bet money you would find that they attribute the ability of this holiday to two things:

1. The dead

2. The government

ergo, they know their enjoyment of such a holiday is not without some subsconscious homage to these two paramount traditional respects.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I believe that... but I will add... if one could preview their psyche... I'll bet money you would find that they attribute the ability of this holiday to two things:

1. The dead

2. The government

ergo, they know their enjoyment of such a holiday is not without some subsconscious homage to these two paramount traditional respects.

There is indeed a different kind of respect for the dead in China than what we know in the West. Wearing white, burning money so the dead can have spending cash, grave sites on mountains rather than condos, and so on....