questions about the oath ceremony

I know after the initial interview that once passed, the applicant is told that they will receive a letter stating the date, place and time of the ceromony. All that I understand. My question is can the ceromony take place somewhere closer to where I live than DC? Can't any federal judge at any federal court do the swearing in? This is what I will ask the immigration officer in DC because DC is just too damn far for me to go! I mean, I'll go this time for my wife's test so that she'll hopefully pass but I will hate to go back again for the ceromony thing! I'll see what the IO has to say about that because I live only 30 minutes from the closest federal court and DC is 5 1/2 hours and 300 miles away!

I'm just seeing what you all have to say about this. TIA!

I know after the initial interview that once passed, the applicant is told that they will receive a letter stating the date, place and time of the ceromony. All that I understand. My question is can the ceromony take place somewhere closer to where I live than DC? Can't any federal judge at any federal court do the swearing in? This is what I will ask the immigration officer in DC because DC is just too damn far for me to go! I mean, I'll go this time for my wife's test so that she'll hopefully pass but I will hate to go back again for the ceromony thing! I'll see what the IO has to say about that because I live only 30 minutes from the closest federal court and DC is 5 1/2 hours and 300 miles away!

The ceremony varies for every USCIS regional service center. Here in Portland if your interview is in the morning you can have the oath ceremony that afternoon. If it is in the afternoon you can do it the next day. I would have your wife ask the IO at the interview if there are any other options. Personally I feel this is a major event in her life and accomodations should be made to make it special. I wouldn't pooh pooh it as a waste of time just because I don't want to drive 300 miles.

I did find this on the Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

If you cannot come to this ceremony, return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear. In such case,

you will be sent another notice of ceremony at a later date. You must appear at an oath ceremony to complete the

naturalization process.

The ceremony varies for every USCIS regional service center. Here in Portland if your interview is in the morning you can have the oath ceremony that afternoon. If it is in the afternoon you can do it the next day. I would have your wife ask the IO at the interview if there are any other options. Personally I feel this is a major event in her life and accomodations should be made to make it special. I wouldn't pooh pooh it as a waste of time just because I don't want to drive 300 miles.

I did find this on the Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

If you cannot come to this ceremony, return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear. In such case,

you will be sent another notice of ceremony at a later date. You must appear at an oath ceremony to complete the

naturalization process.

Thanks for the info, Carl. That answers one of my questions; the ceremony is mandatory. I was wondering about that.

The appointment is next week. I'll see what the IO has to say about it all and I'll let you all know how it went. My wife has been studying diligently on it all. I think she'll pass. :plane:

BTW, we filed the N-400 last April and it was accepted on April 21. We got the appointment letter last week. It took 11 months. That's about how long it took for her to get the K3 way back when! :plane:

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking that this day calls for a few days off work, a tour of all the monuments as well as the Smithsonian and the Capital and White House.

How much more special can it possibly get? Her Oath of Citizenship taken in the nations capital city!!!!

We toured DC four years ago when we went to the same USCIS office for the greencard interview.

I'm thinking that this day calls for a few days off work, a tour of all the monuments as well as the Smithsonian and the Capital and White House.

How much more special can it possibly get? Her Oath of Citizenship taken in the nations capital city!!!!

We toured DC four years ago when we went to the same USCIS office for the greencard interview.

DC was alot of fun! The first time I've ever seen a white (albino) squirrel. Facsinating! It was near the Lincoln memorial where I saw it. We had alot of fun those couple of days!

• 2 weeks later...

We also saw a white squirrel near the Lincoln Memorial, maybe it was the same one?

More to the topic. The current operating procedure for the Chicago office is that after the interview you are asked to wait for the oath letter, the ceremony is a week or two in the future - UNLESS you are deemed to live to far away from Chicago and you are told to go home and wait for a oath letter for a ceremony closer to you. These are not held as frequently as in Chicago, so it could be a bit of a wait.

We are 150 miles (3 hours) from Chicago, I guess next week we will learn if we are in the close or far bucket. I don't think we will complain if we are in in the far bucket, don't really need another Chicago trip right after the interview.

We also saw a white squirrel near the Lincoln Memorial, maybe it was the same one?

More to the topic. The current operating procedure for the Chicago office is that after the interview you are asked to wait for the oath letter, the ceremony is a week or two in the future - UNLESS you are deemed to live to far away from Chicago and you are told to go home and wait for a oath letter for a ceremony closer to you. These are not held as frequently as in Chicago, so it could be a bit of a wait.

We are 150 miles (3 hours) from Chicago, I guess next week we will learn if we are in the close or far bucket. I don't think we will complain if we are in in the far bucket, don't really need another Chicago trip right after the interview.

I know how you feel. I drove 5 hrs./300 mi. to the interview appointment. The drive wasn't too bad though. I guess it's just taking that "first step" that's always the problem.

I asked the CIS Officer about that and he said that the ceremony will be held at our local federal court building, which was a relief to me. I hope you hear something soon.

So, you saw a white squirrel at the Lincoln Memorial too! What a coincidence!! It had to be the same one, I mean, how many white squirrels do you see?!...lol. It was the first one I have ever seen. It was among 'regular' brown squirrels under a tree and seemed to be looking at me while I was looking at it. Strange indeed!