One ordinary Chinese family

My aunt, born in 1958 in the northeast part of China, got married to her husband, a freelance. A worker in one of the brick factory in her city, she used to make 47 yuan a month, gradually risen to 150. Two years after their daughter was born, they bought their first house at the price of 7800 yuan in 1989, in the same year when my aunt was laid off claiming umemployment of 265 a month. Now, their daughter is in her last year of college,and the couple has a personal saving of 35000 in the bank.

Are they poor? I dont know. I will show you the statistic of necessities in her city.

( 1n the 1980s) A Chinese bagel cost 25 fen, various vegetables at 10 fen a jin, rice 50 fen a jin, pork 1.85 a jin... while the most expensive stuff should be the cooking oil, which was 2.50 a liter. Let's calculate: three people with one jin of rice a day, that is 31 jin a month, which totaled at 15 yuan. On the whole, she managed her housewhole within 30 yuan. That is how she ended up with a saving of 35000.

Not bad right?

;)

Guest ShaQuaNew

My aunt, born in 1958 in the northeast part of China, got married to her husband, a freelance. A worker in one of the brick factory in her city, she used to make 47 yuan a month, gradually risen to 150. Two years after their daughter was born, they bought their first house at the price of 7800 yuan in 1989, in the same year when my aunt was laid off claiming umemployment of 265 a month. Now, their daughter is in her last year of college,and the couple has a personal saving of 35000 in the bank.

Are they poor? I dont know. I will show you the statistic of necessities in her city.

( 1n the 1980s) A Chinese bagel cost 25 fen, various vegetables at 10 fen a jin, rice 50 fen a jin, pork 1.85 a jin... while the most expensive stuff should be the cooking oil, which was 2.50 a liter. Let's calculate: three people with one jin of rice a day, that is 31 jin a month, which totaled at 15 yuan. On the whole, she managed her housewhole within 30 yuan. That is how she ended up with a saving of 35000.

Not bad right?

;)

Such a refreshing story! I am always amazed to see the resilience of the Chinese people, who learned not only to get by with so very little, but to actually save money. We can all learn much from them.

Thanks for sharing; and sharing more is good too!

;)

Not bad right?

:lol:

I don't understand this part. Unemployment benefits? Me thinks we could learn a lot from your Aunt!