Letter from Homeland Security

Hey guys,

My mother-in-law said she got an mail from homeland security today but she didn't open it before she sent it out to us.(we are living in Vermont and our permanent address is in WA). I am curious what it could be? GC interview appointment letter? I checked it on USCIS website case status but there is no update. What if the interview is set up in a month or before the mid of May which we will not be able to make it because my husband and I are studying and working in VT, can we change the time to whenever we want like between May and the end of Aug because we will be back home at that time period for summer vacation?

Thanks!

Joanna

Why not just go ?

It's early enough you can warn all of your professors that you need to take off, also re-schedule any exams, can tell all employers , can look at booking air tickets, get some decent discounts.

I'm a fan of showing up at the appointed time in the proper place.

I really don't see as you have a problem.

Please talk with your husband, raise the issue, ask what the real issue is? If it's something that's inconvenient - wei - you are in VT, with permanent address in Washington State - you created that situation - you should deal with it, as you can....

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

April 2nd will be a Thursday. He has full days of classes on Wednesday and Thursday. I don't know. Apparently law school is not that easy to catch up with if you miss so many classes in a row. Plus he pays like 100 bucks per class. I don't know. I think his school is more important. However, i didn't apply for AP. I am really in a dilemma! We are writing a letter to change the time to either May-Aug or Dec-Jan now. Hopefully it will work during the first period while we are back in WA for summer vacation.

Why not just go ?

It's early enough you can warn all of your professors that you need to take off, also re-schedule any exams, can tell all employers , can look at booking air tickets, get some decent discounts.

Please talk with your husband, raise the issue, ask what the real issue is? If it's something that's inconvenient - wei - you are in VT, with permanent address in Washington State - you created that situation - you should deal with it, as you can....

Why not just go ?

April 2nd will be a Thursday. He has full days of classes on Wednesday and Thursday. I don't know. Apparently law school is not that easy to catch up with if you miss so many classes in a row. Plus he pays like 100 bucks per class. I don't know. I think his school is more important. However, i didn't apply for AP. I am really in a dilemma! We are writing a letter to change the time to either May-Aug or Dec-Jan now. Hopefully it will work during the first period while we are back in WA for summer vacation.

The AOS interview is not something I would recommend rescheduling they have been known to cancel the application if you don't show up, read the letter carefully. I don't think they consider inconvenience as a reason to reschedule.

If you had put in a change of address they would have done it locally, but telling them you can't make it because you are living across the country and you have a more important appointment doesn't seem like a good idea.

Why not just go ?

The AOS interview is not something I would recommend rescheduling they have been known to cancel the application if you don't show up, read the letter carefully. I don't think they consider inconvenience as a reason to reschedule.

If you had put in a change of address they would have done it locally, but telling them you can't make it because you are living across the country and you have a more important appointment doesn't seem like a good idea.

i agree with the others on this one.you should go to the interview. my son is in law school so i feel your pain, but 1 day missed wont hurt much. good luck whatever route you decide.

You guys make me so worried. We just sent out the rescheduling letter. What should we do now? Is it too late to change our mind? Regarding the address changing, we were advised not to do so by an officer during biometrics appointment.

I don't know what to do. What if they do cancel the application, do you have some back up plans? ·³·³·³£¡£¡£¡

What is RFE? Does welcome letter mean you've got the GC or what? I can't wait to find out! Stupid weekend! :blink:

So quickly after your EAD - I'll bet it's either the Welcome letter, or an RFE. Keep your fingers crossed.

RFE = Request For Evidence.

Welcome Letter = Approval Without Interview, this is common for those adjusting from a K-Visa.

What is RFE? Does welcome letter mean you've got the GC or what? I can't wait to find out! Stupid weekend! :blink:

So quickly after your EAD - I'll bet it's either the Welcome letter, or an RFE. Keep your fingers crossed.

Welcome Letter = Approval Without Interview, this is common for those adjusting from a K-Visa.

The "Welcome to America" letter is the I-797 Notice you get when the green card is approved for ANY I-485 or I-130 application. It says basically that the green card is in the mail (or at least in production).

http://www.welcometousa.gov/

I wish it were a welcome letter. It would save me so much trouble. My husband believes that before April 2nd, we should be able to receive a rescheduling date. Otherwise, we can fly back to WA for the interview. I wish I could go to the post office now and take out the letter he sent out today and force him to go to the interview with me.

Btw, I plan to go back to China in Jan, 2010. Can I apply for AP now? I can't count on the GC now.

The "Welcome to America" letter is the I-797 Notice you get when the green card is approved for ANY I-485 or I-130 application. It says basically that the green card is in the mail (or at least in production).

http://www.welcometousa.gov/

Edited by joannaliu (see edit history)

I could not attend my N-400 interview as I would be in China then, I just followed the instructions on the notice and re-scheduled it, no biggie.

When you rescheduled your interview, how were you informed of the new interview date? A letter, presumably. But specifically, did the letter say something like, "Your interview will be rescheduled at a later date." Or did it give a specific date?